Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of a TV

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

So first of all im simply just asking this question so go easy on me

I bought a TV 2 weeks ago from power city. The TV is fine, no issue with the TV itself. Im just not totally happy with the picture quality. Its HD ready and I should have spent the few extra pound and gone for full HD.......as I have now got a UPC HD set top box

Just wondering, would power city accept the return of this TV based on the fact that I would buy another TV off them i.e a full HD TV which will cost a bit more OR will they me to feck off

I have the receipt for it, but thrrew out the box/packaging.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can always ask but as you noted you don't have a right to upgrade so be polite about it and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tow

Nope

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

would you buy a tv from power city that has obviously been used for a few weeks and had no packaging?

I doubt it.

And hence the reason why they won;t take it back.

Sell it on donedeal or adverts is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭obi604

sandin wrote: »
    would you buy a tv from power city that has obviously been used for a few weeks and had no packaging?

I doubt it.

And hence the reason why they won;t take it back.

Sell it on donedeal or adverts is your best bet.

I would if I got a few pound off :)

So I contacted them.
    They said they will take it back but at a 90 Euro fee for re stocking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

OP - take a look over in the Talk To / UPC forum.
    There is a long thread with complaints of terrible quality picture from UPC's HD channels.

• Advertisement

dilallio wrote: »
    OP - take a look over in the Talk To / UPC forum.
    There is a long thread with complaints of terrible quality picture from UPC's HD channels.

mmmm, interesting, thanks dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

not to mention that as far as i know satellite and cable transmissions are currently 720p/1080i maximum

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sandin wrote: »

Why not? They often sell display models. If they took the TV back from the OP they can easily sell it at a discount. No need to mention that a punter had it in his home for a few weeks and anyway it would have gotten less wear in the OP's house than if it was permanently switched on for a month or so in the showroom with all sorts of tyre kickers and kids messing with the buttons.

They can tell the guy they're selling it to that they 'lost' the packaging and throw an acre or so of bubblewrap around it. For the right discount they'll get a buyer.

The 'restocking' charge and the profit on the new TV will cover it no problem, why wouldn't they take it back?

j4vier wrote: »
    not to mention that as far as i know satellite and cable transmissions are currently 720p/1080i maximum

This is a very valid point.
    So from what I hear and with the above comment...........lets simplify things :

does HD TV from UPC transmit the signal at 720 P ??
    And if so does this only apply to the actual HD channels ?

Based on this, is having a 1080p TV any advantage in the above situation ?

And then with Standard definition channels, does having a 720p or 1080p TV really even matter all that much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

does HD TV from UPC transmit the signal at 720 P ??
    Yes, but only the HD channels. Everything else is send at SD (480 lines)

And if so does this only apply to the actual HD channels ?
    Yes.

Based on this, is having a 1080p TV any advantage in the above situation ?
    No for watching TV from common sources, no. But it is not only the resolution. Normally you will have on the high ends tvs a higer refresh rate (50Hz for sports and action movies is bad, you need at least 100hz LCD or plasma), better blacks, less energy consumption, better connectivity (More HDMI inputs, network connection,etc)

And then with Standard definition channels, does having a 720p or 1080p TV really even matter all that much ?
    No if used only for TV. If used for Netflix, DVD, Blueray, game consoles, then yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement