Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eiffel Tower Evacuated After Bomb Threat

• 30-03-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭

The caller said the tower will be blown to pieces at 9:30 local time. (8:30 here)

Not long now. I'm betting on no explosion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why, and by whom :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Didn't know independence day was on.

Any link for that op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

LordSutch wrote: »
    Why, and by whom :confused:

An unknown caller. No reason yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Thrill wrote: »
    The caller said the tower will be blown to pieces at 9:30 local time. (8:30 here)

Not long now. I'm betting on no explosion.

Yes explosives big enough to do that could not be missed.

However I hope there has been no panic.

Those who make bomb threats should be harshly punished.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Didn't know independence day was on.

Any link for that op?

Found one......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369258/Eiffel-Tower-evacuated-Terrorist-attack-fears-caller-warns-blown-pieces.html

EDIT:Wrong link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It would take a demolition team a couple of weeks to rig the tower for collapse so I say bollocks to the sensational claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

what an Eiffell thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Typical French.

Immediately surrendering for a little bomb threat.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Bambi wrote: »
    what an Eiffell thing to do

I'm emparissed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

It would take a demolition team a couple of weeks to rig the tower for collapse so I say bollocks to the sensational claim.

Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Hey terrorists, terrorise this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

BOOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

For a safe, controlled demolition yes but surely a big explosion which damaged the bottom of it enough would lead to it becoming fatally unstable & fall. Would want to be a fairly big blast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2013/03/30/la-tour-eiffel-evacuee-par-crainte-d-un-attentat_3151011_3224.html

The article basically says what the OP posted ; they're not taking any risks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah a few weeks to bring it down in a controlled way. If you wanted to take it down any old way it would be alot easier and far quicker. 2 powerful devices on two of the bottom legs of one side would do the job nicely.

That one's two years and one week old =p

I goggled for a link. That came up and I thought It was about this threat.

This is just breaking news so no link yet.

Well, did it go!

Edit: it's still there! http://www.earthcam.com/france/paris/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Anyone with old Moore will see that he predicted in February that the tower would be attacked this year!

Well, did it go!

Nope.. the bomber decided to go on strike instead

http://rt.com/news/paris-terror-bomb-eiffel-104/
    Eiffel Tower evacuated due to bomb threat

The Eiffel Tower has been evacuated following an anonymous tip threatening to cause an explosion at the Paris landmark.

Almost 1,500 tourists and employees including security personnel were evacuated from the tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Well, did it go!

Edit: it's still there! http://www.earthcam.com/france/paris/

They forgot about the clocks going forward, so....ya know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

donvito99 wrote: »
    Typical French.

Ah come on, do we really need to steal the incorrect french stereotype of them surrendering all the time from the British?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Typical French.

I dislike this whole French surrender monkey thing. It's akin to calling the Irish "leprechauns" or some such.

By that I mean, not only is it not funny, it's simply not true, and reflects poorly on those who trot it out.

Of course, it used to be a slur levelled by the Americans but seems to have caught on here.

I dunno, maybe I need to lighten up (I'm not even French) but the joke is just very very old now if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah a few weeks to bring it down in a controlled way. If you wanted to take it down any old way it would be alot easier and far quicker. 2 powerful devices on two of the bottom legs of one side would do the job nicely.

Look at how strong the feet of the tower are.

There's no way they'd get two truck bombs close and even if they did I can't see them blowing away solid steel on concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

keith16 wrote: »
    I dislike this whole French surrender monkey thing. It's akin to calling the Irish "leprechauns" or some such.

By that I mean, not only is it not funny, it's simply not true, and reflects poorly on those who trot it out.

Of course, it used to be a slur levelled by the Americans but seems to have caught on here.

I dunno, maybe I need to lighten up (I'm not even French) but the joke is just very very old now if nothing else.
    Tell me about it!

You surrender in one war and you're forever known as a surrender monkey.

Just like when a guy shags that one sheep!

Didn't realise how big they were. You'd need a fair amount of explosives to destroy those by the looks of them.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it!

You surrender in one war and you're forever known as a surrender monkey.

Just like when a guy shags that one sheep!

Quiet you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Steve O wrote: »
    I'm emparissed for you.

ah here louvre it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There's no way they'd get two truck bombs close and even if they did I can't see them blowing away solid steel on concrete.

A powerful cutting charge against the apex of the inside arch would weaken the
    support considerably. There is more than one way to skin a cat and a terrorist who knows what he's at would know where and what to target if serious enough.

Yes a truck bomb is crude and easy and it's not the way to bring down a tower but it's a great way to blow the face off a building and kill lots of people out in the open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

George Dubya thought it was the biggest oil well in the world and launched an attack

Advertisement