Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

From school to college and into the dail/civil service/RTE

No experience in the harsh real world,thats why we have such p1ss poor government and media in this country

I totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

LittleBook wrote: »
    She's a woman, not a girl. And frankly she's no less qualified and a lot better educated than a lot of TDs.

It will be good to have someone outside the usual mould entering politics for a change.

Exactly! Would anyone refer to a 26-year-old man as a 'boy'? I highly doubt it. This 'girl' nonsense gets on my hole. It's sexist and patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Career politicians are a plague.

People who don't have any experience outside of the public sector cannot hope to understand the needs and concerns of their constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

RayCon wrote: »
    Cash in on the sympathy vote ... she'll walk it - watch.:mad:

Not so sure about that. Didn't FF run Seamus Brennans son when there was a by election for his fathers seat. Think he was beaten pretty soundly.

Government parties rarely do well in by elections so it might not be such a sure thing.

While its great to have a young women running for election (a lot more are needed), the whole thing does stink of the family dynasty nonsense that seem to run through Irish politics with people being elected because of their name and not any ability.

I'm not saying this McEntee woman has no ability or talent (don't know anything about her) but the only reason she was nominated by FG was because of her surname. Its hardly the best way to select candidates is it?

the_syco wrote: »
    As opposed to a teacher that knows sweet fcuk all about running the country becoming a TD?

Seems she has a

so she may actually have a clue!

More like she will be good at spin. Talking all day but not answering the questions asked. Same as the current mob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Once she's not as daft as a certain other second generation TD, I see nothing wrong with this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nobody can understand anyone's needs and concerns outside of their immediate peers. Having some basic clue of economics, social issues and how to play a system to your advantage are much more useful that some fuzzy notion of 'real world experience'.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Exactly! Would anyone refer to a 26-year-old man as a 'boy'? I highly doubt it. This 'girl' nonsense gets on my hole. It's sexist and patronising.

Yes I would have described as boy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I have no issue with her being 26, age is irrelevant if she has a clear understanding of her own policies (not just those on the party website) and what she actually wants to achieve.

In my opinion, people should enter politics to get something done. That can either be a single main policy (free healthcare or whatever) or an overall view to change to the current system (or keep it I suppose). Simply going in because your father/mother/uncle etc held the seat shouldn't be enough.

What does she bring to the people of area and the country as a whole? What skillset does she have that the other candidates don't? Until the electorate start viewing elections as a job interview rather than a popularity contest we will keep getting the type pf representatives that we currently have.

I very rarely get candidates calling to my door, but when they do, I don't ask them what they plan to do if elected as in many cases that is outside their control. I ask them what their red line issues are, what would they not accept, what would make them stand up from the party etc. I also ask them what they said the last election and how much they actually achieved. "Figthing crime" is always a good one they all talk about, but what did they actually do to advance that. What have they learned from the last dail (if they are a sitting TD) and what they would do differently with that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I can't decide whats sadder: the fact that you refer to a 26 year old as a girl, or the fact that you seem to believe that a 26 year old isn't capable of representing people in a democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sand Wedge wrote: »

My arse you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

The problem is, with little to no experience of the real world, people who enter the Dail early just become institutionalised long before they have the influence to implement whatever new or modern thinking they might have had to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

She is quoted in the article:
    "people know exactly what kind of a mess this country was left in when Fine Gael took power"

Yes, an breath of fresh air, indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

She learned her trade from the Minister for Food :)

Horses anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

pc7 wrote: »
    At 26 I think you'll find she is a woman rather than a girl, Ciara Conway was in her 20's when elected as a TD.

That's not much of a recommendation. A good opposition candidate should beat her if there is such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

What's this "real world" that people keep talking about?

Is Meath not part of it?

Valetta wrote: »
    What's this "real world" that people keep talking about?

Is Meath not part of it?

Oh, Meath is part of it alright, but I'm not sure a mollycoddled ex-td's daughter is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcentees-daughter-urges-voters-to-look-beyond-name-as-she-runs-for-dads-seat-29116915.html

Helen McEntee daughter of the late Shane McEntee running to become TD of Meath East.

This country gets to me sometimes. Am I the only one who thinks that a 26 year old who never has had a job in the real world (apart from being employed by her Dad(R.I.P.) as a parliamentary assistant for two years) should be running for a TD position.

The circumstances for her fathers passing is terrible but that should not have a bearing on who we should be electing as TD's. We all have moaned about these career policitians who have never experienced the real world making decisions for us. But it seems that we never learn.

What 26 year old would not love to get a job paying a basic salary of €92,672 before all those generous allowances and travel expenses are thrown in and of course those great pensions. Maybe you cannot fault her for trying to go for it but surely someone in the Fine Gael party either should have advised her otherwise or at least contested the Fine Gael nomination.

That is my rant over for now. Am I the only one with this view or are there more like me out there?

So someone with young, fresh and bright ideas should not run for election? Someone who has a better understanding of young people's issues. Young people are leaving their countries in droves, they have the highest unemployment rates among all age groups. Who is looking out for these people, the future of Ireland?

Instead you have the old cronies brigade, most of whom don't even have the relevant education or skills for the position they hold. They look out for their own.

You need to get with times OP. Most other countries have young people elected, young people who will fight for their own and give them a voice, something that doesn't exist in Ireland. Here in Germany there are young women (sone as young as 18) elected, e.g. Julia Bonk, Agnieszka Brugger, Anna Lührmann. They may not represent everyones ideals, but they do represent an important generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

jester77 wrote: »
    So someone with young, fresh and bright ideas should not run for election? Someone who has a better understanding of young people's issues. Young people are leaving their countries in droves, they have the highest unemployment rates among all age groups. Who is looking out for these people, the future of Ireland?

Instead you have the old cronies brigade, most of whom don't even have the relevant education or skills for the position they hold. They look out for their own.

You need to get with times OP. Most other countries have young people elected, young people who will fight for their own and give them a voice, something that doesn't exist in Ireland. Here in Germany there are young women (sone as young as 18) elected, e.g. Julia Bonk, Agnieszka Brugger, Anna Lührmann. They may not represent everyones ideals, but they do represent an important generation.

Edna and Cowen were younger when they were elected. That didn't turn out great!

Term limits would have a better effect on the quality of our leadership, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I've no issue with her age at all - I'm just a couple of years older than her, and I think diversity is needed, as the bulk of the Dáil is made up of middle-aged men.

However, there's absolutely no way people should vote for her based on anything but her policies and her capabilities. Two years as a Parliamentary Assistant has given her some experience in politics but has she the experience and common sense needed to actually be a TD in her own right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Boombastic wrote: »
    Oh, Meath is part of it alright, but I'm not sure a mollycoddled ex-td's daughter is :pac:

And you know she is mollycoddled how?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

a 26 year old who never has had a job in the real world (apart from being employed by her Dad(R.I.P.) as a parliamentary assistant for two years) should be running for a TD position

So that's two years with parliamentary experience for someone thinking of running for parliament. How much do the others have?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

jester77 wrote: »

Ah now. Her strength is that she knows better than most what the job entails, and it most certainly does not involve 'fresh ideas' or 'understanding the youth'.

Gambas wrote: »
    So that's two years with parliamentary experience for someone thinking of running for parliament. How much do the others have?

So that is a girl who when finished college rather go out and look for a job was given one by her Dad. We have all been lamenting politicians over the last few years who have employed family members in there constituencies. Anther example of cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Gambas wrote: »

Well done on her getting that job as Parliamentary Assistant.
    In this time of high unemployment, there must have been intense competition for the post.

Valetta wrote: »
    And you know she is mollycoddled how?

Job in daddy's office, Daddy ex-td, going for daddy's seat

How do I know she is mollycoddled? put it this way, I have a vote in her constituency

sure if it doesn't work out I'm sure she could get a book and film deal for some drivel she wrote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Sure ya would. I've never heard of any man beyond secondary school age referred to as a boy. You'd say '26-year-old boy'? Really?

baalthor wrote: »
    Well done on her getting that job as Parliamentary Assistant.
    In this time of high unemployment, there must have been intense competition for the post.

Yeah wonder did she know someone to get that job, oh wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Sen. Kathryn Reilly is around that age, and was a parliamentary assistant for a couple of years IIRC. she's been doing a great job in the Seanad from what I've seen, after narrowly missing out on a seat as a TD, so I don't think youth should necessarily be a bad thing...

at least McEntee's daughter actually has an interest and understanding of politics, even though it's yet another an example of FG doing exactly the same as FF while promising a "new type of politics"....

• Advertisement

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Sure ya would. I've never heard of any man beyond secondary school age referred to as a boy. You'd say '26-year-old boy'? Really?

For the context of my post I would have. I have no issue whether it is a woman or man who is 26.

Advertisement