Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options
  • 08-03-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcentees-daughter-urges-voters-to-look-beyond-name-as-she-runs-for-dads-seat-29116915.html

Helen McEntee daughter of the late Shane McEntee running to become TD of Meath East.

This country gets to me sometimes. Am I the only one who thinks that a 26 year old who never has had a job in the real world (apart from being employed by her Dad(R.I.P.) as a parliamentary assistant for two years) should be running for a TD position.

The circumstances for her fathers passing is terrible but that should not have a bearing on who we should be electing as TD's. We all have moaned about these career policitians who have never experienced the real world making decisions for us. But it seems that we never learn.

What 26 year old would not love to get a job paying a basic salary of €92,672 before all those generous allowances and travel expenses are thrown in and of course those great pensions. Maybe you cannot fault her for trying to go for it but surely someone in the Fine Gael party either should have advised her otherwise or at least contested the Fine Gael nomination.

That is my rant over for now. Am I the only one with this view or are there more like me out there?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

she has her fathers nose anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

She has my vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Cash in on the sympathy vote ... she'll walk it - watch.:mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Young people and women actually getting involved in politics for once and we're supposed to be against it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Fair play is what I say!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

she might actually now what the internet is

she should start as a senator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Isn't this the way they do things in the United States?

I mean they treat politics as a profession within itself, much as law or accounting or teaching, and very often it becomes a family thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

wasn't lucinda creighton 27 when she was elected?

whatever your views on political dynasties, more younger people are needed in the Dáil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

At 26 I think you'll find she is a woman rather than a girl, Ciara Conway was in her 20's when elected as a TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Up to the folks in Meath East to decide. The current crowd are muppets and some of them have been at it for decades. Who says that she wouldn't be better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

She's a woman, not a girl. And frankly she's no less qualified and a lot better educated than a lot of TDs.

It will be good to have someone outside the usual mould entering politics for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Would you prefer yet another school teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Who needs skills when you've got relations? I'll be writing to her to find out why they placed a methadone clinic for louth in an obscure east meath village with no bus service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Young people and women actually getting involved in politics for once and we're supposed to be against it?

Riding the wave of the sympathy vote is not the same as someone who is bright, resourceful and politically minded in their own right.

If she gets in then it will show that Ireland has not changed one bit and the people deserve everything they get.

The above sentiment does not negate my sympathies for her family for their loss. However, the good of the nation is more important than sorting Shane's daughter out with a seat and a salary or the Fine Gael party with a guarantee of holding on to Mr. McEntee's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

A young person with at least an idea of politics through her father and working as his assistant, wanting to try for Leinster House, whatever will they think of next.:rolleyes: In several elections there have been far younger than 26 year olds applying.

This is the age we need people running for election, the dail is full of older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

She has every right to contest the election,and will probably win,we do love a good political dynasty in this country. So yeah....I feel your frustration, that we're going to try and rectify our country by having people who haven't been weaned from the teet of the public sector steering the wheel.

Our natural apathy will result in no-one challenging it, so a good ol moan on AH,and business as usual.

To steal a P.J. O Rourke quote from "Parliament of Whores"-"Yes,we have a parliament of whores,but in a democracy,the whores are us "(public)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

LittleBook wrote: »
    She's a woman, not a girl. And frankly she's no less qualified and a lot better educated than a lot of TDs.

It will be good to have someone outside the usual mould entering politics for a change.

How is she outside the usual mould. She represents to me the old mould. People with no life experience, no understaning what it is like to work in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcentees-daughter-urges-voters-to-look-beyond-name-as-she-runs-for-dads-seat-29116915.html

Helen McEntee daughter of the late Shane McEntee running to become TD of Meath East.

This country gets to me sometimes. Am I the only one who thinks that a 26 year old who never has had a job in the real world (apart from being employed by her Dad(R.I.P.) as a parliamentary assistant for two years) should be running for a TD position.

The circumstances for her fathers passing is terrible but that should not have a bearing on who we should be electing as TD's. We all have moaned about these career policitians who have never experienced the real world making decisions for us. But it seems that we never learn.

What 26 year old would not love to get a job paying a basic salary of €92,672 before all those generous allowances and travel expenses are thrown in and of course those great pensions. Maybe you cannot fault her for trying to go for it but surely someone in the Fine Gael party either should have advised her otherwise or at least contested the Fine Gael nomination.

That is my rant over for now. Am I the only one with this view or are there more like me out there?

IMO the support for "youth" in the dáil is misplaced, both Edna and Cowen succeeded their fathers and were elected to the dáil in their mid-twenties :rolleyes:

There should be a higher standard than simply age, and parentage...

kraggy wrote: »
    Riding the wave of the sympathy vote is not the same as someone who is bright, resourceful and politically minded in their own right.

If she gets in then it will show that Ireland has not changed one bit and the people deserve everything they get.

I think you're being a little unfair. Do you think she decided on a life-long career in politics out of the blue just because she saw an occasion to get an easy few votes based on a family tragedy? What exactly do you know about this candidate that makes you think she's not qualified, bright, resourceful or politically minded in her own right? Does her kinship with a deceased politician somehow negate everything else? Should Bobby Kennedy have stayed out of politics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

RayCon wrote: »
    Cash in on the sympathy vote ... she'll walk it - watch.:mad:

and unless she can swallow politic life better than her Da it could well end in tears all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

From school to college and into the dail/civil service/RTE

No experience in the harsh real world,thats why we have such p1ss poor government and media in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Adult bids to be elected as TD. What's the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I think you're being a little unfair. Do you think she decided on a life-long career in politics out of the blue just because she saw an occasion to get an easy few votes based on a family tragedy? What exactly do you know about this candidate that makes you think she's not qualified, bright, resourceful or politically minded in her own right? Does her kinship with a deceased politician somehow negate everything else? Should Bobby Kennedy have stayed out of politics?

So why didn't she run for office before now? Whether it be on the County Council or Town Council or otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

How is she outside the usual mould. She represents to me the old mould. People with no life experience, no understaning what it is like to work in the real world.

You don't need "life experience" or to experience the same things as other people have to be able to empathise with them, help them and fight on their behalf.

Fair play to her for giving it a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't see the problem with it. Ireland is sorely lacking in political dynasties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭golfball37

Is she the best candiadte for the job is all one can ask, if not then FG can be accused of trying to expolit her fathers death for political gain.

I just hope the people of Meath East don't fall for it, though I won't be holding my breath.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As opposed to a teacher that knows sweet fcuk all about running the country becoming a TD?

Seems she has a
    a degree in economics, politics and law in Dublin City University (DCU) and a master's in journalism and media communications
    so she may actually have a clue!

kraggy wrote: »
    So why didn't she run for office before now? Whether it be on the County Council or Town Council or otherwise?

So you could have slammed her for being a 25-year old looking to become a TD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I don't see the problem with it. Ireland is sorely lacking in political dynasties

My sarcasm detector is twitching, but it's inconclusive...?

Advertisement