Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumbnail images for Wordpress

Options
  • 07-04-2015 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm building a site at the moment using the Wordpress Gonzo layout. For each post I select a featured image and upload it. It appears as a thumbnail on the site.

However, when I try to link the post via social media (e.g. facebook) no thumbnail appears at all.

Does anyone know how to make sure that the featured image is also a thumbnail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hi,

I'm building a site at the moment using the Wordpress Gonzo layout. For each post I select a featured image and upload it. It appears as a thumbnail on the site.

However, when I try to link the post via social media (e.g. facebook) no thumbnail appears at all.

Does anyone know how to make sure that the featured image is also a thumbnail?

I think if you include the image as part of the actual post, it should show in your links. Shouldn't affect the featured image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

beardo81 wrote: »
    I think if you include the image as part of the actual post, it should show in your links. Shouldn't affect the featured image.

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any other way, without having to have the image twice on the same page (once as a featured image and again as an image within the post)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

It should only show once in the post, the featured image is for any internal links to the page eg a links bar with pictures or slideshow for recent posts.

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Facebook pics up an image from the 'meta' tags.
    Install the WordPress SEO plugin. You can specify a default image to be displayed in Facebook which will be used when there are no images in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and others use the open graph meta tags to decide which image or other content gets displayed.

For Twitter you also need to get your domain(s) whitelisted:
    https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

There's a good guide here on the tags to use for sharing services:

http://moz.com/blog/meta-data-templates-123

Advertisement