Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dara and Ed's big adventure...

• 17-02-2015 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Dilema dilema....i like Dara but cant stand Ed ....even the clips make me feel violent....:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

If Dara hadn't made it big on the BBC Ed Byrne would have disappeared a long time ago. You only ever see Ed Byrne where Dara O Briain is involved. Mock The Week, The Panel, The Apprentice, during the Olympics and this. You never see Ed Byrne on C4 or ITV panel shows. He even alluded to it himself on a MTW segment a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭squonk

There was a time about 16-17 years ago for about 2 months when Ed Byrne was incredibly funny and fresh. He got steadilly unfunnier after that. He'd be long gone now for sure if he wasn't riding on Dara's coat tails. Sadly, barring they have a falling out, we're stuck with Ed for years to come as Data will only rise higher and higher in the Beeb. Dara is personable and nice but Ed would completely ruin this show for me now. I don't think I'll partake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Schwiiing wrote: »
    If Dara hadn't made it big on the BBC Ed Byrne would have disappeared a long time ago. You only ever see Ed Byrne where Dara O Briain is involved. Mock The Week, The Panel, The Apprentice, during the Olympics and this. You never see Ed Byrne on C4 or ITV panel shows. He even alluded to it himself on a MTW segment a few years back.
    What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Thargor wrote: »
    What did he say?

Ed is mates with Dara

so Ed wouldnt get any gigs on the BBC if Dara was to disappear tomorrow

Hmmm, interesting that he'd come out and say that himself. Id think he'd stand on his own, its not like they have a big pool to choose from in that Mock the Week ecosystem, seems to be the same 5-6 comedians over and over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

While I normally don't like Ed Byrne, his episode of Worlds Most Dangerous Roads with Andy Parsons was very good and he can across well. This could be good, especially as they're bound to be good value together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't think Ed is very funny but I met him after The Panel and he was the nicest of the lot so I've always had a soft spot for him. I love Dara though so I'll definitely be watching it. I'd say Ed and Dara work off each other quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

bogmanfan wrote: »
    While I normally don't like Ed Byrne, his episode of Worlds Most Dangerous Roads with Andy Parsons was very good and he can across well. This could be good, especially as they're bound to be good value together.

Another one i couldnt watch although i like Andy....guess i'll give it a peek and try to imagine Ed is Peter Griffin.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I used to think the same about Ed but then I saw him do a live set.

He was great. Very funny.

It's a vehicle that is different from panel shows (which I can't stand) so you may be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Ed just always seems like he's desperate for attention. It's almost childlike the way he shouts over others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Whatever about not getting on TV if he wasn't friends with Dara Ed himself is a very successful stand-up in the UK. He tours big venues consistently and has done for years.

I'm not a fan of him but he certainly hasn't rode coat-tails to get where he is as a live act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If it wasn't for Ed we wouldn't have Dara at all apparently. They were interviewed together on An Irishman Abroad podcast and Dara said he was discovered at Eds wedding by bbc execs. Ed had invited them hoping to be discovered himself and to grease the wheel with them but instead Dara's bestman speech stole the limelight and it was he that ended up being picked up by BBC at the wedding.
    To top it off Dara had also been living rent free in Eds spare room for 6 months at the time!

That's a pretty big unfortunate twist of fate for old Ed so I can understand why Dara insists on letting him ride his coat tales on tv.

Hoping he'll be funnier tonight as I'm not a fan myself but I felt bad for him once I heard that story. Imagine trying to plaster on a smile after that soul destroying kick in the teeth and maintain a sound friendship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

These kinds of shows irritate me, like that Holiday Show RTE does...where they give certain folks loads of money, then send them on a free holiday. All while the viewers are being charged for this through their TV license (which many struggle to pay).

What's worse is that Dara and Ed's careers are on the BBC...so from my point of view, it just looks like they came back to RTE to get a holiday, then made RTE, and the viewer, pay watch it.

I won't be watching, thanks. I'll tune into some other channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

These kinds of shows irritate me, like that Holiday Show RTE does...where they give certain folks loads of money, then send them on a free holiday. All while the viewers are being charged for this through their TV license (which many struggle to pay).

What's worse is that Dara and Ed's careers are on the BBC...so from my point of view, it just looks like they came back to RTE to get a holiday, then made RTE, and the viewer, pay watch it.

I won't be watching, thanks. I'll tune into some other channel.

Dara said on Twitter that it was made for the BBC but somehow RTE picked it up first, not sure how that works? So yeah, didn't cost ya a penny ;)

Thought the show was alright, same as every other comedian travel show that's on every so often! I'll still take An Idiot Abroad anyday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Started off brutal, middle of a desert, no initial sense of preperation with sourcing or handover of car. People like to see trip planning whether to the T or take the pi$$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I like both of them (don't find Ed anywhere near as annoying a lot of ye do) so I enjoyed the show. Howev' I thought that it whitewashed some of the terrible ills that afflict Mexico these days due to the drug wars.

( I just finished reading this great book about it all. http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Middle-Finger-Lawless-Sierra/dp/B001OW5N0U . )

I would have much preferred some insight into all that, or a visit into one of the mega dangerous border cities, Ross Kemp style, instead of some silly stuff about even sillier faux wrestlers, or a yawn inducing trip to a coffee plantation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wide Load wrote: »
    Dara said on Twitter that it was made for the BBC but somehow RTE picked it up first, not sure how that works? So yeah, didn't cost ya a penny ;)

Sometimes RTE throw a tiny bit of money into a production and get to show it first. The BBC don't really care because the Irish audience is much smaller than their target UK audience.

This could be the case here.

Pain in the arse having to wait for the BBC to show it so I can download it in HD instead of blur-o-vision RTE Player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Dara said on Twitter that it was made for the BBC but somehow RTE picked it up first.
    It's funny that was the case because I thought watching it that it seemed more like something the BBC would make than RTE.

I enjoyed the first episode a lot but I eat these travel shows up. Dara and Ed play well off each other.

I found the segment about "El Bestia" the most interesting. I looked it up on wikipedia and it's also referred to as "El tren de la muerte", which seems fitting. How desperate must you be to risk taking one of those trains, when odds are you're going to experience violence, rape, gangs, etc.

Looking forward to the other episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There was an RTÉ logo at the end underneath the BBC logo so RTÉ must have done something production wise.

• Advertisement

I watched it last night and I enjoyed it. The two bounce off each other very well. I thought Dara was hilarious in the car when Ed got out on the bridge! I love that the Lucho Libre as we know it now was because of an Irish man.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dareden

I really enjoyed this too. I used to love Ed Byrne and I'm glad he's getting a bit of air time now. It's a good show but I'm not sure if it's just me but it feels so fake sometimes. But they are genuinely intelligent interesting people and that shines through every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

This is pretty good... Has a sort of Top Gear feel to it, without the three annoying Top Gear presenters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

It's all very serious for two comedians now isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Dara wanting to put a blessing on Eds career, condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I've enjoyed the two programmes so far. The two of them work well together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If it ha bothered Ed, I'm sure he would have said something.

Still enjoying this, though I wish Ed had kept his clothes on. He's got that Celtic Blue thing going, it'll take many hours in the Sun to turn his legs white ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

It was hilarious!

I'm really enjoying this.

May check that hot one out again on RTE Player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

May check that hot one out again on RTE Player

Which one?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Which one?

17:05

So, who wants to come with me to Costa Rica?

I thought those kids in the tribe were just beautiful. They'll be a handsome bunch when they're older!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fingallion

Watched it all, but very weak stuff in the end. I'm thinking now that this wasn't intended as a comedy. It was really like two regular (non comedian) blokes on a road trip. A lot of mugging (and singing in the last episode) for the camera but no funny bits. Dara putting his foot through the deck in Costa Rica was sort of funnyish.... as was his blessing for Ed's career but that was about it. Hope they don't think this justifies more adventure trips.
    If I were Ed, I'd be keeping Dara out of harm's way at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The bits about the other travellers got a bit tedious in the end...I have long journey adjectives overload
    Overall harmless enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For anyone who missed this on RTE, it's on BBC tonight at 9pm on BBC2.

Only alright tbh, but there's a lot worse on the telly these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Excellent. I missed an episode on RTÉ so stopped watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Pretty good show, though Ed with his backwards baseball cap is so down with the kids, circa 1988.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Mandalay series is perfectly fine, had the good sense to ditch the comedy and present it as a straight-up travelogue.

That was very enjoyable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That city up above the jungle and the subsequent Lion Dancing World Championships looked amazing.

Their interaction with the tribal kids was a touching moment too.

Good documentary overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If it wasn't for Ed we wouldn't have Dara at all apparently. They were interviewed together on An Irishman Abroad podcast and Dara said he was discovered at Eds wedding by bbc execs. Ed had invited them hoping to be discovered himself and to grease the wheel with them but instead Dara's bestman speech stole the limelight and it was he that ended up being picked up by BBC at the wedding.
    To top it off Dara had also been living rent free in Eds spare room for 6 months at the time!

That's a pretty big unfortunate twist of fate for old Ed so I can understand why Dara insists on letting him ride his coat tales on tv.

Hoping he'll be funnier tonight as I'm not a fan myself but I felt bad for him once I heard that story. Imagine trying to plaster on a smile after that soul destroying kick in the teeth and maintain a sound friendship

Whaaaaaa? Ed Byrne invited BBC execs to his wedding hoping they'd give him work?

Advertisement