Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Queries

Options
  • 26-07-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

My car is overdue its NCT.....was due on 28th May but I was out of the country and only got back yesterday and the earliest date I have on the NCT website (just booked it) is the 27th of August....

Can I drive the car in the interim?.....Will I get penalty points if stopped by the Gardai?

The other query I had was if a car fails its NCT does the re-test have to be taken in the same NCT centre where it failed or can it be taken to a another (nearer) centre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

phone them and you'll get an earlier date.
    No you can't drive with no NCT...mandatory court appearance if they catch you, 5 points and up to €1500 fine.

Test / re-test can be anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

corktina wrote: »
    phone them and you'll get an earlier date.
    No you can't drive with no NCT...mandatory court appearance if they catch you, 5 points and up to €1500 fine.

Test / re-test can be anywhere

Thanks a mill

I will give NCT a ring .... hopefully they'll schedule me in the next week or so

How strictly is this law enforced?.....in the event of me not being able to get a date in the next few weeks could I drive the car and if stopped by the Gardai show them the letter of appointment for the NCT

There's a lot of stuff I need to sort out after my recent trip out of the country and I don't want to be 'car less' until the NCT is done:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

if you cant drive the car - how the hell are you supposed to get to the test center

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Mc Love wrote: »
    if you cant drive the car - how the hell are you supposed to get to the test center

Truck or trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

nope.you are allowed drive it to the test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

it'd take a bad garda to enforce that law upon you. if you have proof of an arranged appointment, tax and insurance and the car is presentable, in 99% of cases you will be fine, bar you antagonise the garda for some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Driving with NCT out is a gamble. You might get a nice guard or you may get car taken from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Thanks for all the replies folks

Just got it rescheduled for the 5th of August which is reasonable considering:)

Now to call the AA to get the damn car started!!

magentis wrote: »
    nope.you are allowed drive it to the test centre.

no you aren't

You are allowed drive back after a failure (if not deemd dangerous) and to a re-test, plus to a garage and back for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Where did you get an NCT so quick?! My car is just out, I wasn't driving it so didn't get a chance to do it early, I looked online next date is the end of October, the girlfriends mother got a letter for the end of October and her NCT is up in August, how the hell can the company get away with doing that?! I assume they had to win a tender to provide the service, they are scheduling cars in themselves 2 moths after their NCT expires, it's a joke,They don't have nearly enough slots and every time I'm in there the place is empty,
    I'm not risking driving around for 4 months with no NCT so i will be ringing them for my free test!

• Advertisement

the trick is....don't book online. Ring them and you'll get a much earlier date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

bladebrew wrote: »
    Where did you get an NCT so quick?! My car is just out, I wasn't driving it so didn't get a chance to do it early, I looked online next date is the end of October, the girlfriends mother got a letter for the end of October and her NCT is up in August, how the hell can the company get away with doing that?! I assume they had to win a tender to provide the service, they are scheduling cars in themselves 2 moths after their NCT expires, it's a joke,They don't have nearly enough slots and every time I'm in there the place is empty,
    I'm not risking driving around for 4 months with no NCT so i will be ringing them for my free test!

Keep checking online, dates that were not available magically appear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All you posting about whether if you can or cannot drive to the test centre. A good source will settle that argument quicker...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I am a bit less annoyed at the NCT online booking, I read on here somewhere to look online just after 11:30pm, so I went online and got a date in the nearest centre in less than 2 weeks!! I assume it was a cancellation but it's worth a try for people stuck,

biko wrote: »
    All you posting about whether if you can or cannot drive to the test centre. A good source will settle that argument quicker...

It's not an argument. It has been posted on here so many times, I for one am not going to bother searching out the link and posting it yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

biko wrote: »

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/si/0303.html
    Paragraph (c) is the relevant bit. Unless you failed the test you'd be breaking this rule.
    (5) Section 18 and these Regulations do not apply to a vehicle—
    (a)
    first registered prior to 1 January 1980,
    (b) which is used solely on an off-shore island,
    (c) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused, or
    (d) which is owned or operated by the Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces.”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 totof59

Can anyone tell me where vin number (chassis number) is on Renault Scenic Megane '99 1.6e engine

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

totof59 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where vin number (chassis number) is on Renault Scenic Megane '99 1.6e engine

http://vin-numbers-location.weebly.com/renault-scenic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 totof59

Thanks for info on vin number .Still can't find it.Is it always printed on cars? I found other two on windscreen and between back passenger and drivers door inside.Checked under spare tyre also.Is there anywhere else it could be.What happens if it can't be found for NCT?

Advertisement