Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Limbs, No Limits - The Joanne O'Riordan Story (RTE1, Thursday 10.15pm)

• 18-06-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Documentary charting the story of Joanne O'Riordan who has the rare condition tetra-amelia syndrome, meaning she was born with no arms or legs. Directed by her brother, the film shows her journey from her home in Co Cork to a United Nations summit in New York, where she delivers a challenge to the most influential women in technology - to build her a robot

I just noticed this in the listings. Joanne always comes across really well in interviews. Should be interesting to hear more about her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

starting in a few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Joanne is an inspiration to all but especially to people with special/additional needs and their families.

Her parents are wonderful people :)

Even as a toddler she was full of spirit and personality.

The home videos are heart breaking.

A little girl so happy when she has been so unlucky. It puts life's minor problems into perspective.

• Advertisement

Some medical professionals can be insensitive b@stards at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Some medical professionals can be insensitive b@stards at times.
    What sort of psycho...:confused:

Enda, your government have put people with disabilities and their carers through hell and back. So much for election promises :mad:

Her parents are wonderful people :)

Definitely, they have done a wonderful job.

I'm glad they were interviewed separately from Joanne.

They wouldn't have got a word in if she had been there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

So humbling watching her. This song has me in tears!!

• Advertisement

Joanne finished her Leaving Cert today, and she's starring on RTE1 tonight.

Not a bad day's work!

https://twitter.com/NolimbsNolimits/status/479608503246417920
    LC done and dusted!!! Time to party #bringit so looking 4ward 2 tonight #nolimbsnolimits let's smash it!! Let's get it tending @rte 10.15pm

I think this programme should be shown in every school in Ireland.

I have this recording, my kids will be watching this next week when they get their holidays. If I hear a “I'm bored" this will be replayed to them. What an inspiring girl.

It would be great for her to either make a video or visit schools and show kids who think something's are out of their league, that anything can be achieved if you want it hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

Wonderful spirit.

Snap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

My god, what a warrior and battler at the earliest stages of life. No limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pringle12345

Her trying to eat the cake

• Registered Users Posts: 21 starlight baby

Jesus, am in bits. I was aware of Joanne and obviously was full of admiration and awe at her strength and character but its only now seeing the home footage of her as a baby that the bigger picture has hit home. I suppose that's because I have a young child. Obviously I knew she was a child like any other but seeing the familiar toddler actions and behaviour in a little girl with such a ****ty hand in life just broke my heart (though I know Joanne doesn't regard it as a disability and I completely respect that).
    Anyway, incredible. And that goes for her family too. Amazing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Such an amazing character a true inspiration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So proud of this young lady. I hope she gets the technology to enable her to live independently - she's an inspiration to so many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Why?

The Girl from Birmingham seems like a great character too.

evilivor wrote: »
    Why?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great doc so far. Hate the annoying acoustic song they had on a loop in the background for the last 20 minutes though.

I think independence would be great for her. Her parents are superb but I think she would like someone other than her mum to be doing the everyday things.

You would also worry about her if a time came when her parents couldn't care for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Was I the only one who thought this documentary was borderline intrusive/voyueristic in places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

blastman wrote: »
    Was I the only one who thought this documentary was borderline intrusive/voyueristic in places?

Of course it was intrusive but I wouldn't say voyueristic - I think her brother was documenting it and asking the questions, I also think he was showing us how much his sister needs despite how much she can do for herself - I thought the camera piece where she was having lunch and everyone was talking as she was fighting to cut a piece of cheesecake for herself was very telling - it was hard to watch and deliberately filmed that way - but you could see it took her a long time to ask for help and get her mum to feed her, it showed how determined she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Forgot this was on. Does anyone know if they will be reshowing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭gidget

Forgot this was on. Does anyone know if they will be reshowing it?

It's up on RTE Player now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good documentary.
    But lets be honest the song that was written was cringe-worthy! Fortunately I watched it on the rte player and could skip it!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement