Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Bang Theory...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Sheldon Cooper of more recent episodes is a lot more annoying and completely different to the Sheldon of earlier seasons. And also those two extra women they added only made it a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I liked the first couple of series but it's an entirely different show now which bears no resemblance to the earlier episodes. It's very close to a sketch show now with 3 or 4 stories simultaneously happening with little to no thread tying them together.
    There's minimal interaction between the 4 male main characters and that's a shame.
    It's day has passed but of course they'll bleed it dry for all it's worth.
    Doesn't so much as hold a candle to Frazier or friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

lertsnim wrote: »
    The Sheldon Cooper of more recent episodes is a lot more annoying and completely different to the Sheldon of earlier seasons. And also those two extra women they added only made it a lot worse.

Couldn't agree more with this comment, they ruined the great character they had in Sheldon from the first few seasons and the show has been muck since then because of it. The only thing the two women have done is made Sheldon's and Howard's characters a lot less funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The little blondy one doesn't do much.Sheldons bird is a fantastic talent though . Always worth watching for Penny,even if she has turned lesbian.
    Think it was the first episode of the newest series I found funny,the rest were forgettable.
    Still watch it,have a commitment in the characters I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ok im going to be a hypocrite in saying that I love the show but follow with a list of flaws

I hate Bernadette, she adds nothing , Howard was a better character before her and a lot funnier ,
    she grates on me , there is nothing good about her. everything she does is selfish and horrible, her voice is unnecessary.

Sheldon has lost all his oddities and became an ass. he is rude and self-centred

raj is good but they are doing nothing for his character. his girlfriend isn't suited to him at all

Howard has lost his character . his weirdness and pevertedness is what made him. now he is just going through the motions

penny. I think she can do better than Lennerd .

I am totally gone of leenerd .
    he was the typical nerd that we all could relate to .he is a cheater and doesn't respect or appreciate penny
    he cheated on penny , cheated on pria,

Amy I like. her character is good, I would like to see her get a bit more sexy and out of her comfort zone

I think penny should go out with raj, they would be great together, both very girly
    shamy toghether
    howard leave Bernadette for being a cow , then she changes and stops being a bossy manipulating cow, then rekindle their love
    leave leenard alone for a while. maybe date alex for a while just to bring her into it

• Advertisement

ok im going to be a hypocrite in saying that I love the show but follow with a list of flaws

I hate Bernadette, she adds nothing , Howard was a better character before her and a lot funnier ,
    she grates on me , there is nothing good about her. everything she does is selfish and horrible, her voice is unnecessary.

Sheldon has lost all his oddities and became an ass. he is rude and self-centred

raj is good but they are doing nothing for his character. his girlfriend isn't suited to him at all

Howard has lost his character . his weirdness and pevertedness is what made him. now he is just going through the motions

penny. I think she can do better than Lennerd .

I am totally gone of leenerd .
    he was the typical nerd that we all could relate to .he is a cheater and doesn't respect or appreciate penny
    he cheated on penny , cheated on pria,

Amy I like. her character is good, I would like to see her get a bit more sexy and out of her comfort zone

I think penny should go out with raj, they would be great together, both very girly
    shamy toghether
    howard leave Bernadette for being a cow , then she changes and stops being a bossy manipulating cow, then rekindle their love
    leave leenard alone for a while. maybe date alex for a while just to bring her into it

It's all a bit comedy by committee.What was a good hearted piss take of the nerdy science type has become a politically correct sit com . It's a shame because a lot of it doesn't fit,Penny and the little blondy one would never be seen with their on screen characters . Sheldon has been gradually made to conform to norm and lose his character in the process . I've said it before many times,but Amy for me is the jewel in the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If we assume for argument's sake that TBBT will end after the 10 greenlit seasons, then the latest sequence of events makes a bit more sense. I don't get the moaning about changes to characters, though. I always thought a primary idea behind TBBT was to follow the progression of the characters from total nerds to at least something a bit less nerdy.

Another series that lasted ten seasons was Friends, and I think they made good use of the idea that some characters changed a lot (Rachel, Chandler), some a bit (Ross, Monica), and some hardly at all (Phoebe, Joey). In TBBT, though, all the main characters were lacking in some way i.e. there were no "normal" characters, so they're all migrating to the "centre" or "normality. (Penny now has a real future, and Leonard now has a life.)

Some upcoming changes have already been signposted e.g. I fully expect Bernadette - who's loudly proclaimed she doesn't want children - to be pregnant by the end of this season. Just as with Friends, the arrival of children is the beginning of the end for a "singles" sitcom.

Prediction: Howard will get a PhD ... a honourary one. :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Heckler wrote: »
    Probably seen about 10 episodes in total. Didn't crack a smile once. Utter rubbish. That Sheldon character deserves a beating.

You trying to live up to your username? Sheldon is a very funny character, if a little predictable at times. Amy Farrah Fowler is a brilliant character. She is a neuroscientist in real life. Doesn't look like a 40 year old either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

I find I'm more browsing on my phone than watching these days. It's not entertaining me much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

christ you'd swear guns were being held to peoples head around here and their being forced to watch it, if only people had something like freedom of choice to watch what they want, and live happy lives and not find it necessary to constantly bitch and moan about some american series there not remotely being forced to watch, especially when that show is proactively seeked out and obtained every single week,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

don ramo wrote: »
    christ you'd swear guns were being held to peoples head around here and their being forced to watch it, if only people had something like freedom of choice to watch what they want, and live happy lives and not find it necessary to constantly bitch and moan about some american series there not remotely being forced to watch, especially when that show is proactively seeked out and obtained every single week,

Imagine people being critical of something on a discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the show is past its peak but there were some great scenes and lines over the year. Sheldon and Howard were my favourite characters but on the whole didnt like the whole Penny "beauty and the geek" meme

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I havnt been enjoying this season much but I LOVED the Star Wars episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

she wasn't 100% real.

What do you mean??

What do you mean??
    shes got fake tits i presume

shes got fake tits i presume

No.

Would not have guessed.Very real looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Getting sued over Soft Kitty now

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35194737

kneemos wrote: »
    Would not have guessed.Very real looking.
    well its only when shes has a bikini on in the show that its noticeably, there big enough for her athletic body, i dont really think many people care, id expect no less, it is hollywood afterall,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

Used to love it but don't follow it so much recently and I was shocked at how poor it had become watching a recent episode.

Somehow the Penny/Leonard thing plus all/most of the men hooking up so early took most of the drama out of it from an early stage and I couldn't see where the series would go.

Stephen Merchant is really good as Amy's new boyfriend,hopefully he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

bnt wrote: »
    If we assume for argument's sake that TBBT will end after the 10 greenlit seasons, then the latest sequence of events makes a bit more sense. I don't get the moaning about changes to characters, though. I always thought a primary idea behind TBBT was to follow the progression of the characters from total nerds to at least something a bit less nerdy.

Another series that lasted ten seasons was Friends, and I think they made good use of the idea that some characters changed a lot (Rachel, Chandler), some a bit (Ross, Monica), and some hardly at all (Phoebe, Joey). In TBBT, though, all the main characters were lacking in some way i.e. there were no "normal" characters, so they're all migrating to the "centre" or "normality. (Penny now has a real future, and Leonard now has a life.)

Some upcoming changes have already been signposted e.g. I fully expect Bernadette - who's loudly proclaimed she doesn't want children - to be pregnant by the end of this season. Just as with Friends, the arrival of children is the beginning of the end for a "singles" sitcom.

Prediction: Howard will get a PhD ... a honourary one. :P

I'd actually have said that Joey was the most changed character in Friends. At he beginning of the show, he was written to fairly smart. Sure not educated, but smart. By the end, they wrote his character to be completely thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I think all sitcoms that came after Friends should be automatically axed after season 6... the recurring jokes get too old. Oh look, Penny is stupid and Leonard is smart, Sheldon is annoying, Howard is Jewish and Raj has a funny accent. They got away with it for the first few seasons but three seasons more is going to end up with flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think all sitcoms that came after Friends should be automatically axed after season 6... the recurring jokes get too old. Oh look, Penny is stupid and Leonard is smart, Sheldon is annoying, Howard is Jewish and Raj has a funny accent. They got away with it for the first few seasons but three seasons more is going to end up with flogging a dead horse.

The Big Bang has improved somewhat as it got older. The characters have all evolved and stopped being parodies in a way. Season 7, 8 and the first part of season 9 have been really strong actually, so to say it should be cancelled because Friends' later seasons weren't as good as the earlier ones, is a bit silly.

Sure if you don't like it yourself, fair enough, stop watching it, but its obvious there's enough people out there still enjoying it for it to be the second most popular show on TV (after The Walking Dead)...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,341 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed how they did Amy's Birthday episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heckler wrote: »
    Probably seen about 10 episodes in total. Didn't crack a smile once. Utter rubbish.
    10 episodes, not a smile, wow, just wow. I am not saying wow, in that you should have smiled, though I do find it odd. I know people who hate it and that's perfectly fine, but why on earth would someone suffer through 9 episodes of something they hate so much and then watch yet another!?! mind boggling if true, but I suspect its not.

I don't like mrs browns boys, I have no problem admitting I have laughed at some bits I did happen to see flicking over or in other peoples houses. I have never watched a full episode, let alone 10, TEN!!!!.

I saw similar OTT stated hatred for breaking bad, where people were allegedly watching several seasons of "complete and utter crap". Dunno if these trolls cop onto the impression they give of themselves.

TBBT has got too samey for my liking, there was a good one the other night where they were all discussing where they would be if sheldon had not been in their lives, I see now it is "Series 7 Episode 11 – The Cooper Extraction". Friends did a similar thing where monica was still fat etc. I do not bother trying to follow it in order much, can flick on any episode and find it reasonably enjoyable.

I like stephen merchant in it,
    he was such a fan of sheldon he could be in it due to him rather than amy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,341 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoy the show as a whole but the writers treatment of Stuart over this season is leaving a bad taste with me I really don't find the bullying of him funny in anyway at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I enjoy the show as a whole but the writers treatment of Stuart over this season is leaving a bad taste with me I really don't find the bullying of him funny in anyway at all.

That's one thing that always bugged me.

Jokes about him always wanting to commit suicide and how miserable his life is, it wasn't funny the first time and it's ridiculous 3/4 seasons on.

His character could work if he was a happy go lucky guy, but things just never work out for him. Would be far better than another joke about him being on anti-depressants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'd agree with this too. It's very bad taste. And the characters are cruel to him which is completely the opposite of how you are supposed to see them

Advertisement