Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone- Awful customer service

Options
  • 26-11-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Disgraceful customer service by Emobile:
    Handed my 7 month old iPhone into emobile, Henry st. on Friday to have it looked at by apple because it had stopped turning on. I was told that it would be sent to Apple to examine.Received a text today to say my warranty was void and to contact Henry st shop.
    I rang the shop and was told I had two options: pay 218e or take the broken phone back. They claim the phone has water damage and as such Apple voided the warranty. It definitely does not have any such damage. I asked if I could get a number to call apple directly myself. They said they did not have a number for apple.I asked for a reference number for the repair but again they couldn't provide it. I looked up the Apple number online and spoke to a very helpful lady who informed me that my phone had never been sent into apple for repair.I rang the store again (spoke to Eoin) and asked where they had really sent my phone. After putting me on hold they admitted they sent it to a 3rd party in Sandyford. I told them that I had been told that my phone was with Apple. I asked how a 3rd party can legitamitly void my warranty with Apple. The emobile rep I spoke to was totally unhelpful and had no understanding of the seriousness of the matter. What's more he said I wouldn't be able to have my phone back until Friday. The irresponsible action taken by emobile completely undermines customer trust. Further to this if the 3rd party did in fact open my phone they will have voided my apple warranty by their action. It is also very conceivable that the purported water damage was created by emobile or their 3rd party when afterall their must be some gain for emobile utilising a 3rd party instead of the proper Apple repair channels. The level of disrespect shown by emobile for customer property is beyond belief.
    I spoke to Apple lkast night again and gave them the details of the 3rd party company. They are NOT authorised to look at apple phones.

This morning I rang ang eMobile Henry st again and spoke to assistant manager Suleman about my problem. I asked him to get my phone back from Sandyford today. I told him that since they managed to get it to Sandyford in a day they should be able to get it back to me in a day. Afterall it is my property that they gave to a 3rd party without permission. His behaviour was again outrageous. He was giving me one word answers and then then told me that you "can't tell me what to do". He started saying I was threatening him which is laughable and insulting! As a young professional who endeavours to act in a dignified manner I take great offence to him insulting me and belittling the fact that I am frustrated with the 'service'. How asking for my phone back is a threat to a grown man holding an asst manager position I will never know. What makes matters worse the line then suddenly went dead - i can only assume that he then hung up on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Reading that made me angry! Lol
    Gangsters!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

I don't know the 3rd party repair shop but reading it I thought straight away of fonemenders it's a company with lots of complains in boards for saying phones are water damage. Do a search for them in the Mobiles and Customer Issues sections

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That is shocking carry on from eMobile. They should know, but they are worse than clueless when it comes to any knowledge of iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

nava wrote: »
    I don't know the 3rd party repair shop but reading it I thought straight away of fonemenders it's a company with lots of complains in boards for saying phones are water damage. Do a search for them in the Mobiles and Customer Issues sections

its not fonemenders

breathe wrote: »
    Disgraceful customer service by Emobile:
    Handed my 7 month old iPhone into emobile, Henry st. on Friday to have it looked at by apple because it had stopped turning on. I was told that it would be sent to Apple to examine.Received a text today to say my warranty was void and to contact Henry st shop.
    I rang the shop and was told I had two options: pay 218e or take the broken phone back. They claim the phone has water damage and as such Apple voided the warranty. It definitely does not have any such damage. I asked if I could get a number to call apple directly myself. They said they did not have a number for apple.I asked for a reference number for the repair but again they couldn't provide it. I looked up the Apple number online and spoke to a very helpful lady who informed me that my phone had never been sent into apple for repair.I rang the store again (spoke to Eoin) and asked where they had really sent my phone. After putting me on hold they admitted they sent it to a 3rd party in Sandyford. I told them that I had been told that my phone was with Apple. I asked how a 3rd party can legitamitly void my warranty with Apple. The emobile rep I spoke to was totally unhelpful and had no understanding of the seriousness of the matter. What's more he said I wouldn't be able to have my phone back until Friday. The irresponsible action taken by emobile completely undermines customer trust. Further to this if the 3rd party did in fact open my phone they will have voided my apple warranty by their action. It is also very conceivable that the purported water damage was created by emobile or their 3rd party when afterall their must be some gain for emobile utilising a 3rd party instead of the proper Apple repair channels. The level of disrespect shown by emobile for customer property is beyond belief.
    I spoke to Apple lkast night again and gave them the details of the 3rd party company. They are NOT authorised to look at apple phones.

This morning I rang ang eMobile Henry st again and spoke to assistant manager Suleman about my problem. I asked him to get my phone back from Sandyford today. I told him that since they managed to get it to Sandyford in a day they should be able to get it back to me in a day. Afterall it is my property that they gave to a 3rd party without permission. His behaviour was again outrageous. He was giving me one word answers and then then told me that you "can't tell me what to do". He started saying I was threatening him which is laughable and insulting! As a young professional who endeavours to act in a dignified manner I take great offence to him insulting me and belittling the fact that I am frustrated with the 'service'. How asking for my phone back is a threat to a grown man holding an asst manager position I will never know. What makes matters worse the line then suddenly went dead - i can only assume that he then hung up on me.

did you get to view a photo of the damage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 breathe

No I haven't been given anything. TBH there is absolutly no way that phone was damaged prior to me handing it over.

No I haven't been given anything. TBH there is absolutly no way that phone was damaged prior to me handing it over.

ok, im not arguing with you on this BUT the amount of water contact can be absolutely minimal. there is indicators on the inside of the iphones which are triggered by a single rain drop for example.

You need to request a photo of the damage

By way of an update:
    After getting absolutely no satisfaction from Emobile regarding the issue with my iphone I intend to take the matter beyond emobile. As a long standing customer I hate to have to resort to this type of action but feel I have been left with no options. All bar one member of the emobile team have been totally unhelpful. The only person who tried to assist me was a customercare guy called Tim. He even admitted on our initial call that the store shouldn't have sent my phone anywhere other than to Apple. On calling me back today he had been briefed by another member of staff (Robert) to basically tell me that I am out of luck and won't be assisted in anyway by emobile.

I decided to ring Robert (retention cancellation dept.) since he seemed to have a little more authority. I explained my situation to him but again he was defensive for the whole conversation saying that the problem was mine and not emobiles. He said I should have given the phone direct to apple and asked "what are you looking for out of us". "If its a new phone or a free repair well you are not going to get that." I re-iterated to him that I went to the emobile store in good faith with a phone I bought from them in May. I told him again that the guy in the shop said they would send it back to Apple to examine. I told him that when I got word of the 'void warranty' and rang the shop that Eoin at the Henry St store said that apple had voided the warranty. I even asked Eoin for the number for Apple so I could talk to them directly as I was still being led to believe that Apple had looked at my phone. It wasn't until I spoke directly to Apple that I found out that my phone had not been sent to Apple as stated but had in fact gone to a 3rd party without my permission.

The only option Robert gave me was to again pay 218e for the 3rd party to fix my phone or take the broken phone back. I explained to Robert as best I could that I have been compromised by emobiles actions. They will have voided any warranty I had with Apple by giving my phone to a 3rd party repair shop and furthermore my trust in emobiles business dealings has been undermined to such an extent that I cannot help but question whether they or the 3rd party have caused the apparent damage to my phone in the expectation that I would just pay the 218e. This is the only rationale I can determine for not sending my phone direct to Apple. Why did it have to go to a 'middleman'? Why did emobile not just send my phone direct to Apple to let them decide what had happened to it? Why do I have to pay 218e before emobile will have my phone sent from their 3rd party/middleman' to Apple? I am completely at a loss as to any legitimate reason behind sending a phone that was under warranty with a manufacturer to anybody other than the manufacturer.

Robert advised that I return to the Henry st store and just pick up the phone when it returns from the 3rd party. He again reiterated that it is my problem and not theirs. I don't expect I will get any joy when I visit the henry st store either given the outrageous phone manner of the assistant manager Suleman in that shop who became irrate on my initial call with him and hung up the phone mid conversation.

Overall I am appalled by the lack of customer service. I am furthermore frustrated and angry that emobile would treat me as if I am in the wrong. I have done nothing but act in good faith and trust that my service provider of two years would do the same. I most certainly wont let this issue lie.

Neil I understand what you are saying but TBH I havent even been given the opportunity to ask for a photo nor have emobile suggested that any photo exists. As I said above I also feel compromised in the sense that I cant be sure even if there is apparent water damage to the phone that it wasn't caused by emobile/3rd party in the expectation of some benefit. I feel this whole thing is a scam. Even when I described the phone problem to Apple they felt it sounded more like a software problem especially since I hadn't plugged my phone into itunes in months.

I have never had to resort to this type of public forum about an issue in fact I dont think I have ever had such an awful experience with any company and I am overall shocked that emobile dont seem to care about their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

I think there is a talk to forum for emobile on boards, might be an idea to copy & paste this over there, see if they can help you out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anyone reading this should learn from OP's mistake.

Never ever take your faulty iPhone to the shop or network you bought it from.

Always contact Apple direct by going to apple.ie/support and pop in your serial number.

Apple will then contact you directly and sort you out.

FYI I sent the phone to apple.vit was NOT water damaged!!!! They replaced it under warranty. No apologies from emobile. Just a warning to everyone :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

FYI I sent the phone to apple.vit was NOT water damaged!!!! They replaced it under warranty. No apologies from emobile. Just a warning to everyone :)
    LOL, seriously?

I have often been dubious about the "water damage" excuse on faulty phones. Mind you, maybe a fair few have that "damage" due to the probably inconsistant moisture indicators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Robert advised that I return to the Henry st store and just pick up the phone when it returns from the 3rd party. He again reiterated that it is my problem and not theirs. ....
    Under consumer law in Ireland, the problem is emobile's, Robert's, Suleiman's and Tim's.

Your contract is with emobile as they sold you the phone. They are the retailer. If they choose to send the phone to a 3rd party for repair, it remains emobile's problem.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Don't take any nonsense from chancers like emobile. They know well what their responsibilities are - they just want to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

mathepac wrote: »
    Under consumer law in Ireland, the problem is emobile's, Robert's, Suleiman's and Tim's.

Your contract is with emobile as they sold you the phone. They are the retailer. If they choose to send the phone to a 3rd party for repair, it remains emobile's problem.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Don't take any nonsense from chancers like emobile. They know well what their responsibilities are - they just want to avoid them.

Luckily with Apple products you don't have to put up with this kind of crap.

You just go to http://www.apple.com/ie/support/ choose your device and they contact you straight away or at a time convenient to you.

You don't need to send off your phone to some third party repair company and wait weeks to see if they will repair it. Also 9 times out if 10 your phone comes back with some kind of cosmetic damage.

If your with in 14 days they just send you a new one before you send back your defective one. After that they may charge you €29 and send you out a new one with a courier bag to send back the defective one. Or send yours in first and a few days later you get a replacement.

Of course if we had an Apple Store they would do it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭GIMP

Just to balance this, my IPhone 4s speaker went earlier this year. Rang Apple who quoted over 200E to fix (out of warranty) my local Chinese repair shop fixed it for 40E in 1 hour.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

GIMP wrote: »
    Just to balance this, my IPhone 4s speaker went earlier this year. Rang Apple who quoted over 200E to fix (out of warranty) my local Chinese repair shop fixed it for 40E in 1 hour.
    How old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭GIMP

At the the time of the issue, it was just over 1 year old.

Advertisement