Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 Motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

richiek83 wrote: »

Whether they ever see the light of day is one thing but interesting objectives all the same. I also noted that the council has maintained its objective to have a third lane in each direction along the M7 as the need arises

Yeah while I understand that bridge work and junction upgrades and funding would have to be done, I still cant believe BOTH M1 widening schemes are being done while the M7 widening got canned completely.

Am I crazy in hearing rumours that there work going on down at the Moneygall junction so it isnt so crap for Mr Obamas visit next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Am I crazy in hearing rumours that there work going on down at the Moneygall junction so it isnt so crap for Mr Obamas visit next week?

Helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 20 klypso

Helicopter
    Just a few bollards around the exits (bringing it down to one lane) also southbound is down to 1 lane just before Moneygall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Pretty sure this junction is going to be upgraded when the Supermac services goes in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

I got an up-close-and-personal view of the roadworks/line of bollards (delete as appropriate) at the Moneygall exit today.
    I doubt it has anything to do with the Obama visit, as similar arrangements were done up around the Roscrea junction a while back.

What it is doing, though, is making the Moneygall on/off ramps even more of a challenge than usual, as the filter lanes (not especially long anyway) are down to no more than about 50m now, with a Yield sign perched at the end.
    I had to come to a dead stop and gingerly pull out into the outside lane today, which is not an ideal way to get going on a motorway.
    Likewise, coming off is tricky, as the run-off is down to about a third of the normal length.

If you're passing the exit in the coming days, please mind your speed and be aware that traffic entering and exiting will be down to a crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

I've been looking at Google maps .. That shows an Osberstown Interchange ... Can anyone tell me if that ever opened ? If not, Will it, & When ? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not opened, not built, not funded, not likely...

Tele Atlas are renowned for jumping the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

acorn1984 wrote: »
    I've noticed this too! My car has low suspension so notice pretty much everything! It's at one particular point along that scenic route, and I always grab the wheel thinking my tyre's after bursting! I presume it's just an eneven surface though... interesting someone else noticed that!!

As an aside, noticed a brood of ducklings (I think) by the central median, inside the while line, after the cork m8 exit today on way to LMK today. Two by two, waddling along - tiny things. Think the mother had been run over in hard shoulder. My icy heart melted for a brief moment...wanted to ring somebody, but who to contact in such circumstances? Seemed a bit devastating... :(

Ha I came on to ask this aswell. That Birdhill phase hasn't exactly been fantastic has it. I reckon its the road alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

as we know now the NRA built a temporary ramp off the M7 to allow President Obama do his car ride into moneygall.

there appears to have been some work done on J22, but cant tell what. I can tell of a nice pothole developing at the top of the off ramp ex Limerick at the N62. I can also tell of another nice pothole developing on the M7 itself between the M7/8 junction and the Tollbridge heading towards Dublin on the left lane where one one of tar meets with the start of the next lot. Shocking when you consider the age of the road.

Have also noticed the birdhill area wobbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone know the reason there are loads of cones on the road around Roscrea/Obamaland? There doesnt seem to be any work going on! And there are no hedges tall enough being cut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone know the reason there are loads of cones on the road around Roscrea/Obamaland? There doesnt seem to be any work going on! And there are no hedges tall enough being cut
    Was heading northbound and cones are more on opposite side of road (southbound), do they just alternate them every week as clearly no work is being carried out, our very little if there is

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

I was passing through the M7/M8 toll at Portlaoise on Saturday and there was a queue of at least 25 cars and a waiting time of 7 or 8 minutes.

I thought there was some agreement in the concession contract that if there was more than x number of vehicles queued up then the toll gates have to be opened for free passage of the traffic.

Can anyone confirm if that is true or not? Do you know if the details are online anywhere? I might complain if that is the case.

Thanks

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I was passing through the M7/M8 toll at Portlaoise on Saturday and there was a queue of at least 25 cars and a waiting time of 7 or 8 minutes.

I thought there was some agreement in the concession contract that if there was more than x number of vehicles queued up then the toll gates have to be opened for free passage of the traffic.

Can anyone confirm if that is true or not? Do you know if the details are online anywhere? I might complain if that is the case.

Thanks

never heard of this, and i notice that there is usually only two operators on during the day (plus the change only automatic barriers) and the pre-pay barrier. It can get a bit behind when there is a big day out in croke park for example.

in the evenings there is only one human on each side, usually several gates shut, guess they made the reasonable assumption that as the main motorway to the south and south west it would have been more busy than it otherwise normally is.

during the week the junction at Roscrea has been closed to allow for works to be done on the slip roads. seems that they have firstly altered the profile to avoid the big lip you meet at the N62 and secondly they have applied, I think, anti-slip coating to the surface given that the thing is so steep that it will be impossible to use on icy and snowy days.

shows they are listening to people anyway.

meanwhile, as i pointed out before, the sinage on the N62 at this junction is still causing confusion and led to a crash on Friday which involved two units of the fire brigade being called out. A similar crash earlier last week made AA roadwatch, this one didnt.

The signs indicating the left turn (when you will be expecting a right turn) are too small, people are either doing u-turns, or drifting as they try to understand just what the hell is going on. Regular users are actually used to it by now, one UK plated car drifted in frount of me yesterday and I knew from the way he was approaching the junction that he was going to do it.

Bigger signs, further away, would stop it.

On a more positive note, incidents involving vehicles coming off the M7 and onto the ramps seem to have stopped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a clause to that affect in all the older contracts so I'd assume its standard. Drop the NRA an email and they will reply - just might take a few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Reactivate thread!

Today, westbound, the hard shoulder was closed and some drilling work was going on beside the M7 in the Bog of Doom! :eek:

Is she sinking already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I was on the road the same day and wondering the same thing! Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

The upgrade of the Naas/ Newbridge bypass is still in planning according to the NRA website. Many projects have been suspended, wonder could this proceed within the next five years?

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N7NaasNewbridgeBypassUpgrade/SchemeName,17315,en.html

They've a tender out for ground investigation works for it, so yes, it quite likely will.

• Advertisement

Anyone got any more information on it? Is there any chance of them upgrading the M7/9 junction while they're at it?

Anyone got any more information on it? Is there any chance of them upgrading the M7/9 junction while they're at it?

There's actually been something to do with putting two lanes on the M9N->M7E merge from memory.

Can't see them putting in the missing movements, not even the quick/cheap one (M9N->M7W).

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

These sites are interesting recent news for the upgrade of the naas newbridge bypass upgrade.

http://www.onbid.org/bids/M-Naas-to-Newbridge-Bypass-Upgrade.sq7144894.htm

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Search/Tenders/Live.aspx?ID=%20000000003610704

Looks like this could happen quite soon

Also on etenders

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=FEB309896

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JeffK88 wrote: »
    These sites are interesting recent news for the upgrade of the naas newbridge bypass upgrade.

http://www.onbid.org/bids/M-Naas-to-Newbridge-Bypass-Upgrade.sq7144894.htm

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Search/Tenders/Live.aspx?ID=%20000000003610704

Looks like this could happen quite soon

Also on etenders

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=FEB309896

"Construction of additional lane and ancillary works on the Eastbound carriageway of M9 at the junction with the M7"
    Surely this only means where the M9 and M7 merge the lane is to be extended. Neccessay certainly, but quite a bit away from a full 3rd lane from there to past Naas which is what is fully required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JeffK88 wrote: »

Oh that's better a full extra lane for the 13 km :). The existing road is at breaking point since the M9 was finished especially.

This project should include some kind of link up for the DOOR motorway whenever that gets built . But knowing this country they will overlook that and upgrade this section and completely rip it up to build a new junction for the DOOR. But in saying that it would be great to have this project started .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why is Laois county council involved with this?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Why is Laois county council involved with this?

Appears to be a cockup

"1.1
    Authority Name and Address
    Official Name:
    Kildare County Council
    Postal Address:
    Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas,"

".3
    Completed documents must be returned to:
    Official Name:
    Kildare National Roads Design Office
    Postal Address:
    Maudlings, Naas,"

That said, councils can and do work on road designs outside their area. Kildare CC did the planning app, CPO, etc for Newlands Cross!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

mfitzy wrote: »
    "Construction of additional lane and ancillary works on the Eastbound carriageway of M9 at the junction with the M7"

Surely this only means where the M9 and M7 merge the lane is to be extended. Neccessay certainly, but quite a bit away from a full 3rd lane from there to past Naas which is what is fully required.
    Theres no need for a 3rd lane for the whole way as plenty enough dont know how to use a motorway and the innermost lane would just remain empty until the split for Waterford, with cars doing 80kmh using the middle lane as the driving lane - rendering the 3 lane highway useless.
    (unless you want to zoom along the empty driving lane at 120kmh "undertaking" all the slow moving trafic in the middle and outer overtaking lane!)

Advertisement