Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 Motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I had a quick look as I was driving along there last and by the looks of it there are plenty of bridges that would need widening.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Any one know why the road is down to one lane around Roscrea and Mountrath? There doesn't seem to be any work taking place. The way the cones are laid out it means you only have about 20m before you merge on the moterway when joining from Roscrea in the Limerick direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Drove this yesterday and day before - it seemed like landscaping / tidying up work to me. A few lads were working in the verges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

We'll see how the Moneygall LILO holds up to the traffic in May when Barack Obama comes to visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I drove the Castletown-Nenagh section today for the first time. In a word, magnificent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

How are the bog sections holding up, any sign of movement?

No issues that I could detect Roryhy - the surface there is "slightly" bumpier, but on a road that is so well surfaced, it is nothing to really complain about.

The only part of the whole route i find issue with is Naas to M9. It is simply too busy for D2, and also the LILO's on Castletown - Nenagh which are very poorly designed, and could be majorly improved simply by lengthening the deceleration / acceleration lanes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I see that the Roscrea LILOs now have physical barriers - i guess these are up ages but just to point out.

And yes, that exit is a proper hairpin! Started my "descent" speedwse about 300m short and stll had to brake pretty aggressively. Doing 120 all the way from Limerick and then almost having to stop is a bit off putting. Terribly cheaply designed junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I see that the Roscrea LILOs now have physical barriers - i guess these are up ages but just to point out.

And yes, that exit is a proper hairpin! Started my "descent" speedwse about 300m short and stll had to brake pretty aggressively. Doing 120 all the way from Limerick and then almost having to stop is a bit off putting. Terribly cheaply designed junction.

Drove Naas - Limerick yesterday. 1hr 25 mins! Loved it. Saw that hairpin at Rosrea. Wow something else alright. Very like those on the TF-1 in Tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

it is now being raised by the local chanbers of commerce and local authorities with the NRA. There seems to be as you approach the junction from Limerick, draft markings in the hard shoulder to lenghten the exit lane. As it is you actually have to decelerate on the left lane of the motorway from three hundred or more metres out. Thats if you are familier with the junction. If you are not and you cruise into the slip at 120 kph you are left with a hell of a surprise coming up fast at you.

• Advertisement

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Drove Naas - Limerick yesterday. 1hr 25 mins! Loved it. Saw that hairpin at Rosrea. Wow something else alright. Very like those on the TF-1 in Tenerife.

you should have popped in for tea. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Far too late at nearly 11pm and my brewskies were waiting in the fridge.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

it is now being raised by the local chanbers of commerce and local authorities with the NRA. There seems to be as you approach the junction from Limerick, draft markings in the hard shoulder to lenghten the exit lane. As it is you actually have to decelerate on the left lane of the motorway from three hundred or more metres out. Thats if you are familier with the junction. If you are not and you cruise into the slip at 120 kph you are left with a hell of a surprise coming up fast at you.

Crazy alright, I was heading up from Limerick a few weeks back and was well aware of the new type exit but even then I felt I was going too fast for the turn, I thought I'd hate to try this if I was expecting the normal exits.

Also, the junction from the slip road onto the Templemore rd has no climbing lane for those heading to Roscrea and again it's too sharp an exit for trucks pulling out onto the road.

been another three bumps into the signs and the little orange sticks on this lilo since easter. Also, almost every day I see someone doing a u turn on the Roscrea-Templemore road because they missed the entry - signage is brutal.

been another three bumps into the signs and the little orange sticks on this lilo since easter. Also, almost every day I see someone doing a u turn on the Roscrea-Templemore road because they missed the entry - signage is brutal.

Brutal is stretching it a bit. The exit sign should perhaps be a bit more 90 degree etc

But TBH these 3 people are likely morons. Expect the unexpected should be the motto of any driver with half a brain.

Personally if im driving any Motorway and come to an unfamiliar exit, i assume its going to be that way and slow down accordingly.

It takes time for country dwellers to get used to a motorway/dc - its the same the world over. You dont see people on Athlone bypass hitting these signs even on the worst exits (J12 and J13)

The issue with these exits is more the short length of the deceleration / exit lane approaching them, which is completely non standard for the Irish motorway network (its more common on DC, i do appreciate).

The acceleration lanes to join the motorway are also much too short.

That is easy to fix, and simply requires a tin of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Just getting slightly off track here for a moment.
    Came onto the M7 at Roscrea heading northbound toward Dublin the other day. The new distance sign after you join the Motorway says Dublin 110Km. Yet when you travel the 15 or so kilometers to Borris-in-Ossary, the next distance sign says Dublin 112Km.
    So you've headed toward Dublin but gotten further away from it?????:confused:

Came onto the M7 at Roscrea heading northbound toward Dublin the other day. The new distance sign after you join the Motorway says Dublin 110Km. Yet when you travel the 15 or so kilometers to Borris-in-Ossary, the next distance sign says Dublin 112Km.

Old roads distance may be less than or greater and the coco pops (county councillors) have not put down the old signs? If the signage offline is green then thats definitely the case.

Old road sign should be white with distances only to the next couple of towns over, not the long distance destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Old roads distance may be less than or greater and the coco pops (county councillors) have not put down the old signs? If the signage offline is green then thats definitely the case

Thing is these are brand new blue motorway signs. Would the NRA not be responsible for these?

Brutal is stretching it a bit. The exit sign should perhaps be a bit more 90 degree etc

But TBH these 3 people are likely morons. Expect the unexpected should be the motto of any driver with half a brain.

Personally if im driving any Motorway and come to an unfamiliar exit, i assume its going to be that way and slow down accordingly.

It takes time for country dwellers to get used to a motorway/dc - its the same the world over. You dont see people on Athlone bypass hitting these signs even on the worst exits (J12 and J13)

sorry, i meant the sinage on the templemore-roscrea road onto the motorway is brutal, it can cause you to easily miss the entry.

i think what happened here is that you are a victim of two different contractors - from Borris in Ossory it was a different company who built it, and somehow this was missed. When the new sections of the Motorway opened from portloaise westwards they did change the distance signs on the old portlaoise bypass.

but they didnt on the Nass road ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Slightly off topic from the Roscrea section of the M7. I was just scanning the new Kildare County Development Plan which comes into effect tomorrow. Two interesting proposals from their Roads Objectives. These are

RP 4: To examine the feasibility of the provision of a connection between the M7 and the east side of Newbridge. This in my opinion would create a new Junction some one or two miles past the M7/M9 Junction.

RP 6: To provide for "all vehicle movements" at the M7 (Junction 11) / M9 (Junction 1) Interchange.

Whether they ever see the light of day is one thing but interesting objectives all the same. I also noted that the council has maintained its objective to have a third lane in each direction along the M7 as the need arises

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There are so many errors in route confirmatory (distance) signs I don't know where to start.

On the N7 at Kingswood, Dublin is listed as 9 kilometres when in fact it should be closer to about 13.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

richiek83 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic from the Roscrea section of the M7. I was just scanning the new Kildare County Development Plan which comes into effect tomorrow. Two interesting proposals from their Roads Objectives. These are

RP 4: To examine the feasibility of the provision of a connection between the M7 and the east side of Newbridge. This in my opinion would create a new Junction some one or two miles past the M7/M9 Junction.

RP 6: To provide for "all vehicle movements" at the M7 (Junction 11) / M9 (Junction 1) Interchange.

Whether they ever see the light of day is one thing but interesting objectives all the same. I also noted that the council has maintained its objective to have a third lane in each direction along the M7 as the need arises

Well I don't see any of these happening for a long while but its good to see that the County Council is thinking ahead. Perhaps they should get plans drawn up so that if we do have the money in the future the preliminary work will have already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

richiek83 wrote: »

RP4 will be fought tooth and nail by the NRA as they want to keep as few junctions as reasonable on the motorway.

RP6 should be provided if/when it becomes D3 from the Naas Road to the M7/9 split. Lump it in as one project [and do the M7/8 one while they're at it, that should never have been built limited access]

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OhMeOhMy

Hey, been meaning to ask this for ages and was wondering if anyone knew the cause
    I have travelled the M7 for the last two years twice a week up and down from Dublin, as far as Limerick. There is a stretch of road, between Nenagh and Birdhill that is downhill and to the left there is a gorgeous view - if you are travelling to Limerick

Every time I drive this part without fail, the car starts shaking slighty and vibrating. Anyone know why this is? I was thinking there could be some magnetic field explanation or something

• Registered Users Posts: 31 acorn1984

OhMeOhMy wrote: »

Every time I drive this part without fail, the car starts shaking slighty and vibrating. Anyone know why this is? I was thinking there could be some magnetic field explanation or something

I've noticed this too! My car has low suspension so notice pretty much everything! It's at one particular point along that scenic route, and I always grab the wheel thinking my tyre's after bursting! I presume it's just an eneven surface though... interesting someone else noticed that!!

As an aside, noticed a brood of ducklings (I think) by the central median, inside the while line, after the cork m8 exit today on way to LMK today. Two by two, waddling along - tiny things. Think the mother had been run over in hard shoulder. My icy heart melted for a brief moment...wanted to ring somebody, but who to contact in such circumstances? Seemed a bit devastating... :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

acorn1984 wrote: »
    I've noticed this too! My car has low suspension so notice pretty much everything! It's at one particular point along that scenic route, and I always grab the wheel thinking my tyre's after bursting! I presume it's just an eneven surface though... interesting someone else noticed that!!

As an aside, noticed a brood of ducklings (I think) by the central median, inside the while line, after the cork m8 exit today on way to LMK today. Two by two, waddling along - tiny things. Think the mother had been run over in hard shoulder. My icy heart melted for a brief moment...wanted to ring somebody, but who to contact in such circumstances? Seemed a bit devastating... :(

Those poor ducklings.:( I've seen a disturbing amount of road kill on some stretches of the M7 - particularly the section between Nenagh and Birdhill and the part between Portlaoise and the M7-M8 split. I think that the concrete central barrier is acting as an uncrossable wall to small animals who finds themselves on the carrigeways and thus they can't dart out of the traffic - making the barrier a death trap.

It was my understanding that "wildlife" tunnels were constructed under these roads? Perhaps not enough were provided?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Those poor ducklings.:( I've seen a disturbing amount of road kill on some stretches of the M7 - particularly the section between Nenagh and Birdhill and the part between Portlaoise and the M7-M8 split. I think that the concrete central barrier is acting as an uncrossable wall to small animals who finds themselves on the carrigeways and thus they can't dart out of the traffic - making the barrier a death trap.

It was my understanding that "wildlife" tunnels were constructed under these roads? Perhaps not enough were provided?

The M6 between Athlone and Moate was pretty full of them for some time too. This is a fairly new road so maybe same story.

Takes the animals time to adapt i guess. Tragically in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OhMeOhMy

acorn1984 wrote: »

:(

Yeah maybe it is uneven surface, although it reallys feels like the tremors are coming from the engine. It doesn't happen at the same place going in the opposite direction so maybe you're right................ (cue X-files music)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 klypso

OhMeOhMy wrote: »
    Yeah maybe it is uneven surface, although it reallys feels like the tremors are coming from the engine. It doesn't happen at the same place going in the opposite direction so maybe you're right................ (cue X-files music)
    If we're all thinking about the same place (just before taking the gentle right before climbing the hills around the Birdhill exit?) I've only ever noticed it in the left lane.

Advertisement