Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Toll - No front plate

Options
  • 25-07-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

If you go through the M50 toll without a front plate do you still get charged? If so, do motorcycles now get charged going through it?

Not thinking of doing it by the way, just curious..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

AFAIK they take a pick from both sides. Folks would be sitting on the rear bumper of trucks otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Folks would be sitting on the rear bumper of trucks otherwise.

They were for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If you go through the M50 toll without a front plate do you still get charged? If so, do motorcycles now get charged going through it?

Not thinking of doing it by the way, just curious..

only one way to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

they take pics of both sides nowadays, plus you'd probably get pulled over soon enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I thought it was scaremongering when they announced they can take a pic of the back of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

The toll is ridiculous now. €4.80 for my Opel Combo. I will take the old road anymore. Turn of at killcock on your way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think the thread is about the M50 toll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    ..do motorcycles now get charged going through it?

M50 is toll free for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

My last car had no plate on the front and I must have went through the tolls 100 times and never gotten a bill for it, unfortunatly the car I have now looks awful without one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

samih wrote: »
    M50 is toll free for bikes.

Kinda answers the question that they don't take a pic in both directions ;)

In my opinion its scaremongering. I've often looked at the gantries etc and there is nothing there, at least that I can see, that would read a rear number place. Perhaps there is CCTV, but thats not the same as a ANPR set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ironclaw wrote: »
    Kinda answers the question that they don't take a pic in both directions ;)

In my opinion its scaremongering. I've often looked at the gantries etc and there is nothing there, at least that I can see, that would read a rear number place. Perhaps there is CCTV, but thats not the same as a ANPR set up.

ANPR can be used on any CCTV system all you need is an OCR software to convert CCTV to an ANPR system.

They have cameras on the gantries they are small black boxes the same as the ones for the front cameras, you can see them on the opposite lane as you cross the toll. They originally weren't installed, which is why bikes are free, but so many cars needlessly tail gated trucks and buses that they installed the rear cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Del2005 wrote: »
    They originally weren't installed, which is why bikes are free, but so many cars needlessly tail gated trucks and buses that they installed the rear cameras.

For any doubters - http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0207/502869-tailgating-m50/
    According to the latest figures released by Sanef Ireland, operator of eFlow, this figure represents a 67% reduction in tailgating offenses since a high in 2010 when rear-facing cameras at the toll were introduced to tackle the problem.

Paddy

Del2005 wrote: »
    ANPR can be used on any CCTV system all you need is an OCR software to convert CCTV to an ANPR system.

That's marginally incorrect. ANPR will not work on a standard CCTV camera for vehicles in motion. Static or parking scenario's, no bother. But any sort of speed you need to be upping frame rates etc etc. Most of commerical providers rate there systems from 30km/h up to 200km/h etc. You also need to consider day time versus night time operation, an additional and technical challenge.

I'll have to have a look at the rear of the gantry next time I pass. Just doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't toll bikes if you had the system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Camera's facing both ways (just look up) and bikes go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

Went through the toll bridge recently in appalling weather. Rain so heavy that my wipers could hardly keep up, and I could barely see the vehicle in front of me. Lo and behold, when my statement came out my journey wasn't recorded. Can only assume that the best 'character recognition software' even has its limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'll have to have a look at the rear of the gantry next time I pass. Just doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't toll bikes if you had the system in place.

The one good thing that they didn't do was toll bikes, as they originally didn't have rear cameras, as tolls are supposed to either pay for damage due to use or control congestion bikes don't really contribute to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

youtheman wrote: »
    Went through the toll bridge recently in appalling weather. Rain so heavy that my wipers could hardly keep up, and I could barely see the vehicle in front of me. Lo and behold, when my statement came out my journey wasn't recorded. Can only assume that the best 'character recognition software' even has its limits.

Funny you should say that - I was going to reply the original poster that I wouldn't be surprised if he got billed in a month or twos time. No direct knowledge of the M50 system, but similar systems queue up images the system can't process for humans to review - if there is an event that causes a lot of them the backlog can take some time to process. I'm certain that some fraction of them just can't be read, but a lot of people will get a bill eventually.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Up until May 2013 I was driving a car with no front plate. Was never billed for the m50 so dunno what these rear facing camera are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Bigger question is why the tolls have signs
    No change given

Fortune made with all those 10 cent coins from the 2 euro coins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

can you drive around legally without a front plate? which some people seem to be doing and then not bring some trouble on yourself if pulled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

What about casually spattering mud all over your plates so theyre unreadable

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No change given

Without the sign some idiots would sit there blocking the lane waiting for the change they can get if they went to the manned booth.

I think its reasonable to not offer change on the M50 to cars traveling at 100 km per hour......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Without the sign some idiots would sit there blocking the lane waiting for the change they can get if they went to the manned booth.

I think its reasonable to not offer change on the M50 to cars traveling at 100 km per hour......

change? on the M50, how does that work? do they email it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

No change given

Just get a toll tag

cerastes wrote: »
    can you drive around legally without a front plate? which some people seem to be doing and then not bring some trouble on yourself if pulled on it.

No its illegal. You are required to have a front and rear plate.
    What about casually spattering mud all over your plates so theyre unreadable

Its a legal requirement that you plate is readable and unobstructed.

Both laws rarely enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

No its illegal. You are required to have a front and rear plate.

Its a legal requirement that you plate is readable and unobstructed.

Both laws rarely enforced.

Say in a thick kilkenny accent that you were at the ploughing match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Sono

cerastes wrote: »

Would have thought it was illegal, what ya want is a little device that will shut down over the reg plates as you go through and then straight back up after the toll

• Advertisement
Advertisement