Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost for a wheel bearing - ripped off??

• 05-02-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,

I had to get a wheel bearing replaced there yesterday, i think i got ripped off but just wanted to check incase i wasnt. Its a fairly reputable garage and it cost me 200€ for a rear near side bearing?

any input anyone?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

No help without Make, Model, Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Make/model?????????

And not unreasonable at all. depending on the vehicle,

In many many cars the rear wheel bearings are in a completely sealed unit and cannot be independently replaced - i.e. the whole rear hub assembly has to be replaced.

for example: for an 06 Almera the parts at Nissan dealer was €230, PLUS labour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hardly matters either way now. It's done.

Hardly matters either way now. It's done.

Sure why bother with a motoring forum at all,

Or more to the point, Amazing input there Henry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sure why bother with a motoring forum at all,

Or more to the point, Amazing input there Henry.

Thanks.

My point was if somebody wants to know the cost of a repair they should price it in one (or ideally more) places, and then perhaps ask "are the quotes reasonable?" here.

Asking "as I ripped off?" as an afterthought can't achieve a whole lot can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Even if the bearing alone could be replaced separate to the hub, you are talking about the work involved in getting the old bearing off the stub axle and pressing the new one on. If such a bearing cost €80-100, another €100 or so isn't that bad for what may have been a 1 1/2 or 2 hr job for a mechanic, in Dublin anyway.

On the ripped off thing, if you don't agree a price or even a ballpark price before the job is done it is a little unfair to suggest you are being ripped off.

If you do ask the price first and think it is too much, just go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

It was a 2000 focus.
    I was just asking if i was ripped off? they originally quoted 210 when the ford garage was 200, its more just to be certain. thanks for the input though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

€200 is way too much for a rear bearing on a Mk1 Focus. But what is the point in asking now when you have already paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

€200 is way too much for a rear bearing on a Mk1 Focus. But what is the point in asking now when you have already paid?

Maybe he wants to avoid the place in the future? :) My advice would be avoid.

A good idea is to get a quote beforehand. I wouldn't have a problem paying extra if the mechanic got into a bit of trouble and it took a bit longer. Then again I trust my mechanic and no longer ask for quotes.

Exactly the reason, i used to have a mechanic but i moved and need one closer to me. so this crowds new my fault really, i should have checked out the price first but i trusted them.

Maybe thats the price, some people say i got ripped off other seem to thing its average!

done and dusted now anyway! Thanks for the replys everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Exactly the reason, i used to have a mechanic but i moved and need one closer to me. so this crowds new my fault really, i should have checked out the price first but i trusted them.

Maybe thats the price, some people say i got ripped off other seem to thing its average!

done and dusted now anyway! Thanks for the replys everyone

I have a bill here from last year. Rear wheel bearing was €56.21 for a 2000 Focus. This is the exact bill..

Brake Discs x 2 €47.58
    Set of Brake Pads €30.83
    Rear wheel Bearing left €56.21

Remove old Discs & Pads & Fit
    Remove Rear Break Drum & Press out Bearing
    Assemble

Total Labour - 2 hours

Materials €134.62
    Labour €76
    Sub Total €210.62
    Vat 13.5% €28.43

Total: €239.05

So I only paid an extra €40 than you, and I got brand new brake discs and pads fitted.

My mechanic would have been under €100 for the rear wheel bearing, giving him 1 hour labour and the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

It was a 2000 focus.
    I was just asking if i was ripped off? they originally quoted 210 when the ford garage was 200, its more just to be certain. thanks for the input though

that was a rip off a bearing costs about 60-70 e and takes 30 min max to fit.6 east to get bolts no hassle at all

I have a bill here from last year. Rear wheel bearing was €56.21 for a 2000 Focus. This is the exact bill..

Brake Discs x 2 €47.58
    Set of Brake Pads €30.83
    Rear wheel Bearing left €56.21

Remove old Discs & Pads & Fit
    Remove Rear Break Drum & Press out Bearing
    Assemble

Total Labour - 2 hours

Materials €134.62
    Labour €76
    Sub Total €210.62
    Vat 13.5% €28.43

Total: €239.05

So I only paid an extra €40 than you, and I got brand new brake discs and pads fitted.

My mechanic would have been under €100 for the rear wheel bearing, giving him 1 hour labour and the part.

Any chance i could get the name of your mechanic :)

Thanks.

My point was if somebody wants to know the cost of a repair they should price it in one (or ideally more) places, and then perhaps ask "are the quotes reasonable?" here.

Asking "as I ripped off?" as an afterthought can't achieve a whole lot can it?

Good logic, and good answer :)

Couldnt agree more, obviously asking the questions after the work has been done isn't as good as finding out beforehand,

But its still better than being dismissed..

And it might enlighten the op for the next time something goes wrong

[QUOTEAnd it might enlighten the op for the next time something goes wrong[/QUOTE]

BINGO

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SQ80

Hi all, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Need 2 rear wheel bearings and have been quoted €280 each? It's for 06 golf. Does it seem excessive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

SQ80 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Need 2 rear wheel bearings and have been quoted €280 each? It's for 06 golf. Does it seem excessive?

Look up the price of parts online or get price from local motor factor and estimate 2 to 3 hours of labour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

How did you think to get the bearings checked out? Was there a noise?

How did you think to get the bearings checked out? Was there a noise?

Yeah there was a noise so I got it checked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

landcrzr wrote: »
    If you do ask the price first and think it is too much, just go somewhere else.

Thats too sensible for some people...

• Advertisement

It's a bit on the high side alright.

Incidentally, in the majority of cases when customers complain of a wheel bearing type noise from the rear of a Mk5 Golf it is a tyre problem rather than a bearing issue.

It's a bit on the high side alright.

Incidentally, in the majority of cases when customers complain of a wheel bearing type noise from the rear of a Mk5 Golf it is a tyre problem rather than a bearing issue.

I got then to reduce the price a bit so that's fixed for now. Funnily enough I apparently have high spots on the rear tyres so there's still a noise. Don't hav the money for new tyres at the moment though

In other words you didn't actually need 2 wheel bearings at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't be afraid to start new threads, we have enough server space.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement