Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 Motorway (general thread)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Deedsie wrote: »
    Sounds promising, badly needs to be done... Hopefully the funding will be made available.

The M7 Widening Scheme will shortly be submitted to ABP for approval.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7%20Naas%20Upgrade%20-%20140110.pdf

richiek83 wrote: »
    The M7 Widening Scheme will shortly be submitted to ABP for approval.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7%20Naas%20Upgrade%20-%20140110.pdf

Folks,

EIS of the M7 Widening is now online at the following link.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Nati...e2013/EIS-EIA/

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I was at the public consultation and was told that detailed design and tender issue would take place in 2014 with planned construction to begin in 2015.

Dependent on funding of course.

Any estimate on the overall cost? With the EIS now done, this could be moved forward with Govt backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sorry, I know it's slightly off topic but driving back after Christmas, I noticed major construction work of massive 4/5 storey blocks to the southside of the M7 near Naas. Does anyone know what is being built and for whom?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    Sorry, I know it's slightly off topic but driving back after Christmas, I noticed major construction work of massive 4/5 storey blocks to the southside of the M7 near Naas. Does anyone know what is being built and for whom?

Kerry Foods R&D centre. Its on-topic as the widening and the new interchange for Osberstown are realistically only being progressed due to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭rameire

if it is beside the volvo maintenance yard, the massive site,

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/

planning ref 13500018

it looks like the Kerry plant.

edit, as above, spent too much time looking at the drawing plans, before I replied

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Motorway Order has now been sent to ABP for approval for Osberstown Interchange and Sallins ByPass.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7%20Osberstown%20Interchange%20-%20L%20Leader%20-%20140117.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

richiek83 wrote: »
    Motorway Order has now been sent to ABP for approval for Osberstown Interchange and Sallins ByPass.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/media/M7%20Osberstown%20Interchange%20-%20L%20Leader%20-%20140117.pdf
    ABP to decide on this by 28th August.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They will also by the same date decide on the widening from Naas to the M9.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is the M7 closed 24h a day at the minute between J16 and J15 eastbound? AA Roadwatch's report about it is unclear

LAOIS /M7: Between 8pm and 6am the following day, the M7 Limerick/ Dublin Rd will be closed northbound between J16 Portlaoise East and J15 Ballybrittas until 11:30pm Fri 29th May for works. Diversions will be signposted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Why is the new surface on the eastbound carriageway between jct. 18 and 16 so rough.
    The internal road noise increases dramatically compared with other sections of the motorway when travelling over the section.
    Has this rough noisy surface some superior qualities that the quieter surfaces used elsewhere or it it just the result of the incompetence of a particular contractor unable to lay the stuff properly.

If its poor workmanship how does such work get signed off and good taxpayers money handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It could be to allow faster soakage of rainwater. This is noisier than waterproof asphalt.

It could be to allow faster soakage of rainwater. This is noisier than waterproof asphalt.

Maybe so, but what difference does the rippling effect make and if its superior soakage is the reason it's used, why are smooth and quiet surfaces being specified elsewhere.
    AFAIK that area of County Laois is not particularly wet compared to other parts of the country, in fact is probably dryer.

TBH I think is just a poor quality job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The bit I hate is around Portlaoise, as soon as you leave the smooth tarmac near the toll and come on to the noisy stuff near the midway hotel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was it penny pinching or is there a reason why there's no hard shoulder over the bridge here?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.7897909,-8.3533726,3a,28.5y,247.88h,84.26t/

VMS was switched on this evening on the M7 westbound, 2km before the Birdhill junction and also on the one attached to the cantilever before the offramp. Simply read '(!) Sign under test', was expecting to see 'Surface water slow down' or 'Use your lights'

M7 PPP section closed due to "surface damage" west of J18. M8 also affected. Anyone know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

marno21 wrote: »
    M7 PPP section closed due to "surface damage" west of J18. M8 also affected. Anyone know what happened?
    Massive pothole at an over bridge, at least 20 cars damaged, road closed for nearly 3 hours.

Picture of said pothole:

VVGnebi.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That's a crater on the moon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats a shocker alright. Totally justified to close it for that.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.
    I've just travelled the recently resurfaced section of the N20 north of Blarney and it has been laid with the ripple or corrugated effect sometimes found on other stretches of recently surfaced roads.
    This surface transmits unwanted vibrations into the vehicle and must increase the rate of tyre and suspension wear, not to mention driver fatigue.

What are the benefits of this type of surface or is it simply the result of incompetent workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

niloc1951 wrote:
    Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. I've just travelled the recently resurfaced section of the N20 north of Blarney and it has been laid with the ripple or corrugated effect sometimes found on other stretches of recently surfaced roads. This surface transmits unwanted vibrations into the vehicle and must increase the rate of tyre and suspension wear, not to mention driver fatigue.

Are you sure you weren't driving on a section that has been "planned"? The planing machine leaves a ribbed finish behind it.
    These overlay works are not due for completion until the end of August, I'd say it was an unfinished section you were on.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't driving on a section that has been "planned"? The planing machine leaves a ribbed finish behind it.
    These overlay works are not due for completion until the end of August, I'd say it was an unfinished section you were on.

No definitely not.
    The corrugated effect was crossways on the newly laid section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

niloc1951 wrote:
    No definitely not. The corrugated effect was crossways on the newly laid section.

I meant to reply here this evening. I drove from Cork to Mallow earlier and I see exactly what you mean! It's the bumpiest section of newly laid road I've ever driven on.
    You can actually feel the difference in smoothness when you go back onto the old section!
    I've no idea why it was laid like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

30km of M7 to be resurfaced apparently

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/426008/30km-stretch-of-one-side-of-m7-motorway-to-shut-overnight-for-nearly-2-months.html

Around 30km of the M7 motorway will be closed overnight for most of July and August between Kildare Village and Portlaoise.

The 8pm to 6am shutdown on eastbound lanes between July 8 and August 28 is for resurfacing the road.

Kildare County Council said that (on behalf of Laois County Council and Transport Infrastructure Ireland) it gives notice, in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act 1993, that it intends to close:

The M7 Eastbound (Overnight Closures) between Junction 16 (Portlaoise) and Junction 13 (Kildare).
    The M7 Junction 15 Eastbound merge slip road (Overnight Closures)
    The M7 Junction 14 Eastbound merge slip road (Overnight Closures)

Dates of the closure:

Monday, 8 July 2019 to Wednesday, August 28 2019

Hours of closure:

Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 20.00 to 06.00 hrs

Fridays and Saturdays: 21.00 to 08.00 hrs

Sundays: 22.00 to 06.00 hrs

These closures are required to facilitate the resurfacing of the pavement.

M7 Diversion route:-

Divert from the M7 at Junction 16 (Portlaoise). Take the second exit from the roundabout towards the R445. At the next roundabout, take the second exit from the roundabout onto the R445 towards Monasterevin. Continue on the R445 for approximately 25.5km until the Junction with the R415. At the traffic lights junction, traffic should take the right turn and proceed along the R415 towards M7, Junction 13. Traffic to proceed through the Kildare Village roundabout and then take the first exit on the roundabout, joining the M7 Motorway using the eastbound merge slip ramp.

Merge slip road diversion route:-

Traffic, at either Junction 15 or 14, intending to travel east on the M7, should follow the diversion signage to the R445, and then proceed towards Junction 13, as described in the above M7 Diversion route.

Diversionary routes will be clearly signposted, as agreed with the Council and An Garda Síochána. Local and emergency access will be allowed at all times.

Any objections/observations should be lodged in writing to Senior Executive Officer, Roads, Transport & Public Safety Level 4, Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, on or before 5.00 p.m on Tuesday 25 June 2019.

Advertisement