Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Wishing to join Irish reserve

Options
  • 03-01-2012 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

My names Sean I was born in Scotland but on both of my parents side have Irish relatives. I was wondering if I can live in Scotland and do my duty for Ireland to be in the Irish reserve and if I can is it weekly training or monthly?

This is a serious post I was told by a friend that he knew someone who was in the Irish reserve and lived in Scotland.

Thanks

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That person was likely to have been in the reserve before they moved to Scotland.

I don't think they are recruiting at the moment. I imagine one would normally have to be resident in Ireland to join. that you have h relations, while it explains your motivation, doesn't necessarily help in that regard.

Training tends to be one evening per week mid-week, possibly Sunday morning and then some full weekends and full weeks per year. There are minimum attendance requirements, which would make living in Scotland impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hmmm, I could be wrong here, but I bleeve that one or other of your parents must actually be a citizen of the Republic of Ireland in order to serve in any of the Armed Forces or Reserves.

A REAL Irishman will no doubt put us both right.

tac Ó Plaistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

i can't see either the particular unit, or the RDF as an organisation being wildly keen on such an idea even if it is technically possible.

commuting is going to be both time consuming and astonishingly expensive, and i doubt that any unit would really believe that you'd stick at it, moreover because the RDF exists to be used in dire situations, the RDF might wonder whether, in those dire situations, you'd actually be able to get to Ireland in order for you to fullfill your obligations.

sorry mate, but you'd be a 'baggage' application - far more hassle than its worth when there are tens of reasonable quality candidates for every place - in which case, might i suggest that you nip along to the inestimable Gunners of 207 Bty RA in Glasgows' fashionable Broomhill district....

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

OS119 wrote: »
    i can't see either the particular unit, or the RDF as an organisation being wildly keen on such an idea even if it is technically possible.

commuting is going to be both time consuming and astonishingly expensive, and i doubt that any unit would really believe that you'd stick at it, moreover because the RDF exists to be used in dire situations, the RDF might wonder whether, in those dire situations, you'd actually be able to get to Ireland in order for you to fullfill your obligations.

sorry mate, but you'd be a 'baggage' application - far more hassle than its worth when there are tens of reasonable quality candidates for every place - in which case, might i suggest that you nip along to the inestimable Gunners of 207 Bty RA in Glasgows' fashionable Broomhill district....

I get the feeling that the OP will not have a desire to join the Territorial Army, or the British Army in any capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

tac foley wrote: »
    Hmmm, I could be wrong here, but I bleeve that one or other of your parents must actually be a citizen of the Republic of Ireland in order to serve in any of the Armed Forces or Reserves.

tac Ó Plaistic

An Irish or EU citizen.................

Edit having checked the relevant

If you are a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Union, then yes, you are eligible for enlistment. However if you are a citizen of another country, then the following rules apply. You must:

not be seeking asylum within the State.
    have three or more years legal and unbroken residency in the State.
    be in possession of a certificate of Registration (Certificate of Residency) issued by the Dept of Justice, Equality and Law Reform covering the period of potential engagement. (Three years for the Army Reserve, four years for the Naval Service Reserve).

Does that mean i get to be called a real irishman now ;-)

• Advertisement

neilled wrote: »
    An Irish or EU citizen.................

Edit having checked the relevant

If you are a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Union, then yes, you are eligible for enlistment. However if you are a citizen of another country, then the following rules apply. You must:

not be seeking asylum within the State.
    have three or more years legal and unbroken residency in the State.
    be in possession of a certificate of Registration (Certificate of Residency) issued by the Dept of Justice, Equality and Law Reform covering the period of potential engagement. (Three years for the Army Reserve, four years for the Naval Service Reserve).

Does that mean i get to be called a real irishman now ;-)

If all the above applies to you, then certainly, you can be called a REAL Irishman.

Just as certainly, I am NOT.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

tac foley wrote: »

tac Ó Plaistic

I know of both a Russian and a Saudi who have served in the Reserve.

Do tell us more - I'm all ears, me.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Maoltuile wrote: »

Not a problem as long as they were resident in Ireland, which the OP is not

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

OP as much as I admire your enthusiasm it wouldn't be worth the hassle or your time. There's not many members of the RDF that parading when they emigrate never mind lads immigrating to parade.

Best of luck with whatever the future brings ya though.

• Advertisement

I wonder what the situation is for NI residents (and I'm sure there's a few, I'd be very surprised if no one ever did it) who live up north but do RDF across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

I wonder what the situation is for NI residents (and I'm sure there's a few, I'd be very surprised if no one ever did it) who live up north but do RDF across the border.

I know for a fact there's plenty of them in the 58th in that situation. I'd imagine most other units located on the border have members from Northern Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Maoltuile wrote: »

I seem to recall coming across a lad from the ivory coast on an exercise in the glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

plenty of non-irish born members of the DF but the difference is they are living in Ireland

Advertisement