Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panel Beater/Respray Recommendations?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭

Got the car washed earlier and discovered that someone has put a dent in my driver's door :mad: From the look of it, whoever it was slammed their door into mine - probably a shopping centre car park hit and run which due to the mucky weather and dark mornings/nights I only spotted today (metallic black 02 Passat)

I'll post pics in the morning but how much does this sort of job run to? I'm guessing I'll have to add in the cost of respraying the door too. :(
    Any recommendations on someone to take it to for an assessment/repair? (Dublin/Meath or surrounding areas preferred)

Thanks in advance guys...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Don't dent devil/ dent doctor service usually cost €70 or so a dent??

Is the paint broken?? Where on the panel is it, ie near the edge or middle??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Damage is in the middle of the door, above and below the rubber strip thats SUPPOSED to prevent this sort of thing :( - Pics attached (apologies for the poor quality.. camera phone isnt great):

That looks like more than a ding to me, kaiser. Passats have solid doos and it too a fair whack to do those.

It'll be off to the bodyshop for paint if you want it done right i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Had something similar happen - one of those shopping centre ambushes :mad:.
    Got quoted 400 euro to fix so I left it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

cantdecide wrote: »
    That looks like more than a ding to me, kaiser. Passats have solid doos and it too a fair whack to do those.

It'll be off to the bodyshop for paint if you want it done right i think.

Thats what I was afraid of :( Any recommendations on places to try?

• Advertisement

I know all the good places here in Cork but can't help you there. They'll generally charge you by the panel, something like €200, but if they have to 'flash' the paint into the panels alongside the affected one, it obviously double or triple.

How good is the original paint? Has it gone very flat over the years??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

As has been said, if the paint's not cracked one of the dent master type outfits will see you right for less than €100. Even if there's a bit of damage to the paint, once the dings are out you should be able to polish it out good enough that you'd have to look hard to find it. I got a few on each side of my car done this year and, with the exception of one where the paint was scratched pretty deep, I couldn't tell now where they were.

In my opinion, those rubbing strips along the sides of cars only protect the car that's doing the damage.

Advertisement