Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sliding door

Options
  • 09-12-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Quick question.. The sliding door on my van didn't close prop since I bought it. The garage put on a new rail and it closes prop now but when it rains water is still getting in from the top of the door and running down.. I bought it back to the garage and they said they fixed it and didn't charge me but today it's been pissin rain went into the van there was a loada water leaking in again..

So any ideas how that could be happening???

I'm gona bring it back and some verbal words will be going there way to sort it out...

Just wondering has any experience of this before and if so what was the solution??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Might help if you mentioned make/model of the van.

You should have a look at the water drain holes on the edges of the door, it's likely one of these is blocked.

sorry its a 99 renault master. where would the water drain holes be???

anyone any other ideas or thoughts? I couldn't find any drain holes today when I had a look at the door.. Maybe they arn't that obvious or something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Check along the rubber of the door and see that it's free of all dirt, there might be some channels within the rubber that's blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

was the van ever crashed, does the door sit flush when closed?

van was never crashed.. Door doesn't sit flush when closed (the side nearest the passanger door)..

I check along the rubber on the door during lunch and check it for dirt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

When its dark...
    Get in and close the door... have a mate go round the close of the door with a good torch, you shouldnt see any light...
    Since the door isnt sitting flush you may need the track/closing mechanism adjusted..
    I had a transit and the door got strained when someone forced it closed with something in the step..

cheers..
    bam

ok bbam I'l try that suggestion tonight also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

See if the rubbers have tiny holes in them. They would act as water drains also. Then see if they are all clear. Water is supposed to get in the door but not past the rubbers, or in this case (maybe) the rubbers act as water channels. Ths happened to me with a sunroof in an old car. The mechanic used an air gun to free up the rubber "drains" which went down into the A pillars and down the bottom of the doors.
    Other than that, get the door and runners flush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if the door isn't sitting flush when closed, then that's your problem. you need to adjust the striker or the door's position on the rail.
    I've never seen the setup on a Master, but I presume it's fairly regular.

well checked to see does any light come in and there is none. Also checked the drain holes in the rubber and they dont seem to be blocked either..

colm_mcm how do you adjust the striker or the doors position on the rail??

Ok well there is no light getting in through the door in the dark. I blew out the drain holes in work today with an air gun. They didnt appear to be blocked either but I guess il have to wait till it rains again and see did blowing the drain holes out help...

Ok then well it rained for the first time in ages and got to check for rain comming in and again there was a load of rain inside the door...

I have attached a few pics of the door from the outside. These might give you guy a few ideas or at least show you the way the door sits from the outside.. Today is the first time I'v had a good look and the door just doesn't look like its sitting square it the opening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

The door is totally out of adjustment. The centre roller hinge needs to be lifted up and the top roller needs to pushed in. You will find it shuts ok but this still needs to be done.

It is a common fault on nearly every van Transit, Sprinter, Master etc..........

Bring it to a good commercial workshop as most car garages have no experience in fixing these. :D

aha just what I'v needed. someone who has suffered the same problem.. Il bring it to some commecial garage in the new year to have all the above done..

Would a panel beater be able to this? I have a friend who is a panel beater who I could get to adjust all that if a panel beater can do that sort of job..

Advertisement