Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prague

• 23-11-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

The missus will get a vodka no doubt so what would you recommend
    Will be there from thurs for a few days
    Just like having something nice or different for visitors over the festive season for a bit of fun

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I was there in March would heartily recommend -

The 3 Roses
    The Beer Museum (Pub)
    U Medividku

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you're pub-hopping, I'd say don't miss Zlý Časy and Klášterní Pivovar, but if it's just booze to bring home, it depends on what you like to drink. Sample widely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

soundsham wrote: »
    The missus will get a vodka no doubt so what would you recommend
    Will be there from thurs for a few days
    Just like having something nice or different for visitors over the festive season for a bit of fun

I understood the OP is looking for advice on drinks to buy while in Prague to bring home, not pubs to visit while there. Assuming Im right:

Myslovic. It tastes similar to whiskey. Very drinkable and very cheap.
    Slivovice - plum brandy. Its clear like vodka and varies in strength from 38-70%. Quality varies quite a bit.
    Hruskovice - Similar to Slivovice but made with pears. Good stuff can taste quite nice, think Pear-flavoured Archers. Not so good stuff can taste like paint stripper.
    Becherovka - A herbal spirit from West Bohemia. You will see it every where and better restaurants will give you a free shot when you go to pay your bill.
    Absinthe is very common and can be quite good and will be a different thing to have on your shelf.

Hammerhead Whiskey - Doesnt taste great but it has a very interesting history. I'll summarise it here: Before the Berlin Wall came down in 1989 the Czechoslovak government decided they were going to produce a single malt whiskey to rival Scotch. They acquired an old mill, and made casks made from Czech oak and they distilled it in a pot still and set it to age in the cellars of the old mill. Then the Berlin wall came down, and not long after the Velvet Revolution when Czechoslovakia split into the Czech Republc and Slovak Republic more commonly known as Slovakia, and the old mill was forgotten about, until Stock bought the mill around 2004. They sent an auditor to the mill who found the casks which had been aging for about 25 years, completely untouched.

You can get Hammerhead in a few liquor shops in Prague but if you don't see it you should be able to get it in the Airport and it will cost abut 40 euro.

Also, consider, if baggage allows buying some Irish or Scotch while over there. I used to buy 700ml Jameson in a shop near me called Qvalitni Pivni (Quality Drinks) for 13 euros(versus about 27 in Tesco here).

By the way, Czech for Slainte is "Na Zdravi". Not to be confused with Nadrazi which means Train station.

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

c - 13 wrote: »
    I was there in March would heartily recommend -

The 3 Roses
    The Beer Museum (Pub)
    U Medividku

Ah the Beer Museum!

Go to the beer museum and get a load of samples and decide which beers you like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

For taking home you could try Becherovka, herbal bitters. Strong cinnamon taste from it. Or Slivovitz, its a plumb brandy/spirit. Research a bit as the cheap ones can be nasty.
    There is also Fernet, an other herbal spirit. Seems to be every where.
    Lots of 24 hour offies, they're the ones with the signs saying "Non-stop"

As for drinking I second the 3 Roses and Klášterní Pivovar. And stay the hell away from the Irish bars. Just don't. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Thanks might try a few pubs mentioned
    But more for the take home side of things
    Might try that cinnamon one in the last post as I unite like cinnamon myself

Advertisement