Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Open Gate

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

lk67 wrote: »
    That's the Foreign Export btw.
    OMGnoob. There's, like, no such beer as Foreign Export? I can't even. Antwerpen is based on Special Export but is sliiightly different, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BeerNut wrote: »
    Four of their own beers seems to be the norm. They do turn them over fairly quickly. There's a strawberry porter and something else new coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Sounds horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

OMGnoob. There's, like, no such beer as Foreign Export? I can't even. Antwerpen is based on Special Export but is sliiightly different, apparently.

Noob...

Whoops on the mistake!

:-)

Told by the bar manager it was the same beer. Tasted different mind but put it down to bottle versus keg + bad mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The strawberry porter does sound awful but it seems to be getting good reports. It has basil in it too.
    I'm getting to try it tomorrow so will report back on it.

Don't think I've ever had a bad basil beer. There's always a first time, though.

Thought it was mediocre to be honest. The flavour was so subtle is was hard to notice.

Got to try the chocolate and vanilla stout as well which was lovely. I preferred the chocolate milk stout from last year though.

Effects wrote: »
    Thought it was mediocre to be honest. The flavour was so subtle is was hard to notice.
    Yup. I doubt I'd have been able to guess it was there without being told.

Also heard that they are launching a new beer from the brewers project, that they had been testing, in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I took part in a market research focus group on the Open Gate Project last night. No mention of a new beer being released but the timing would seem to support that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Don't think I've ever had a bad basil beer. There's always a first time, though.

Spontanbasil. It tastes better in turkey stuffing than it does in beer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

n97 mini wrote: »
    Spontanbasil. It tastes better in turkey stuffing than it does in beer though.

Like turkey stuffing you say? You say that like its a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There is an Open Gate stand at Taste of Dublin.
    5 florins for a pint, 3 florins for a half and there are some samples if you are at the bar when not too busy.

They have most of the beers discussed in this thread... I tasted a few...

Nitro IPA - Kinda like a hoppy Kilkenny, 5.8%. Very smooth but I hink I prefer Kilkenny!
    Botanical Ale - Tasted a bit too medicinal for me
    1516 Pilsner - Celebrating the anniversary of the German purity law. Was ok but preferred the Foxes pilsner who are also at ToD

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Crafty Diageo, very Crafty...

IITASTE%20June%2020_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They can't have glass at taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trying to carry full pints over uneven terrain in a plastic cup is *ahem* challenging...

Apparently wine drinkers can be trusted with glass bottles but beer drinkers cannot ... although I suppose the wine bottles are considered disposable whereas pint glasses are not. And deposits at events like Oktoberfest for glasses are not popular.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I seen a few Brewdog beers being checked in here on unTappd a couple of weeks ago.

This was obviously someone checking in at the wrong location, yeah?

Or else they brought their own in.

It's about to become an authorised Untappd venue so the beer list will be available there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I didn't see any "foreign" products on offer last Friday. Bottlewise is was exactly what you'd expect... Hophouse, Smithwicks , Smithwicks Pale, West Indies Porter. Cant remember seeing the original pint bottle either.

Trond wrote: »
    Cant remember seeing the original pint bottle either.
    It's there in smaller bottles with the vintage XX label. And there's Foreign Extra too. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

It's there in smaller bottles with the vintage XX label. And there's Foreign Extra too. Thankfully.

Typically I forget about the best of the lot! Long overdue a few of those.

• Advertisement

Couple of growler questions:
    The deposit on the bottle, is it refundable in cash or can you only exchange the bottle when getting it filled the next time.
    Do they sell the 2L growlers as well or are they just for internal use?

The deposit on the bottle, is it refundable in cash or can you only exchange the bottle when getting it filled the next time.
    I don't think anywhere does deposits on growlers. You buy them outright.
    Do they sell the 2L growlers as well or are they just for internal use?
    As far as I know Open Gate sells the growlers and refills them.

I've a few of the larger 2L growlers from Diageo, and I've seen them at the bar at Open Gate, but I didn't want to bring one down there if it's only the smaller 1L growler that they sell. I'm heading down for International Stout day later this evening.

They had some lovely stouts on offer. Double Nitro Coffee stout, Sea Salt & Burnt Sugar, Apple stout as well as Foreign Export on tap.
    Hadn't expected much from the apple stout but it was one of my favourites. 40ft Brewery from London were there as a guest tap as well as other brewers set up around the room.

Advertisement