Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Guerrero - Tenth anniversary of his death

Options
  • 13-11-2015 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

06NWO20040215rf328-1903532246.jpg

It was on November 13th, 2005, that wrestling fans around the world heard the terrible news that Eddie Guerrero had died suddenly at the age of just 38. An autopsy would later reveal the cause of death was heart failure.

It was a huge shock. I can remember how stunned we all were on this forum when the news filtered through. It's hard to believe it was a decade ago.

Eddie Guerrero was one of my favourite wrestlers and I loved his babyface singles run that started off in late '03 and which would culminate in him winning the WWE Title at No Way Out against Brock Lesnar. It always seemed to me to be organic and as a result of the fans, rather than from the creative team.

I was able to see Eddie live on two occasions here in Dublin. The first time was at the Point where he teamed with Rey to take on MNM. It was a match with many comedy elements which Eddie could always pull off exceptionally well. The second time was at that open-air show they did when Austin appeared in the main event as a special ref. Eddie's match was earlier on and on this occasion he was taking on Rey and working as a heel. I remember me and my friends cheering him as he sauntered down the aisle in total heel mode. But you couldn't boo this man.

When you talk about traits that wrestlers need, Eddie Guerrero had the lot: in-ring skill, charisma, promos, ability to work as a babyface or heel, and as I noted above, comedy. I still remember with fondness that skit he did with Ric Flair around the Royal Rumble where Eddie steals Ric's wallet.

What a massive loss he was and still is to wrestling.

Share some of your thoughts and memories on Eddie.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I always love watching this MV ever now and again:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i enjoyed watching him in the ring. entertaining promos. he was just an all round entertainer, i actually cried when i heard he passed away, gone way too soon :( damn it those promos broke my heart as well. watching raw as well after he passed was heart breaking to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I was in my hiatus from wrestling in 2005, but i distinctly remember walking through trinity with the metro and seeingg the news, I was heart broken. One of my favourites of all time - the man could do it all! RIP! Viva La Raza!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Eddie was just so good in the ring and on the mic one of the few wrestlers who could make you love or hate him but still entertain you.

Cant believe its been 10 years already, i still remember my dad ringing me and telling me he died i was devastated and its while me and my friends were just playing smackdown vs raw and i had picked him in a match about an half an hour before i got the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Eddie was the best ring worker wwe ever had imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Always remember him for stuff like this.

And for being able to pull off a mullet in the 21st Century :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I made this tribute video of him years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I remember going on the WWE website on the Sunday using dial up(yeah kids we didn't always have fancy broadband) and there was a banner on the home page and I couldn't believe it.

I remember waking the house the Sunday morning when he beat Brock for the title at no way out. I was a genuine mark out moment that I remember in my time watching WWE.

I can't watch the tribute video they played on the show for him at the time.

Anyway RIP eddy Guerrero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I remember hearing about his death shortly before heading out to celebrate my 21st birthday. I was devastated, loved Eddie at the time. Put a real dampener on things. 10 years have gone by so fast!

markc1184 wrote: »
    I remember hearing about his death shortly before heading out to celebrate my 21st birthday. I was devastated, loved Eddie at the time. Put a real dampener on things. 10 years have gone by so fast!

I remember Owen dying but I remember the day of eddies death much more vividly than Owen but I do remember Owens death. So for me Eddie dying affected me more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Chris Jericho podcast today was good, stories from him, Chavo and Dean Malenko about Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Yeah I felt the same about Eddie's late heel turn. He played it fine but there was just no way I could boo him.

He seemed like a genuinely great bloke, and not only that but also a bloke who overcame some serious demons.

I remember watching his last televised match against Kennedy and thinking that he didn't look great. He was as good as ever, he just didn't look well to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He will always be my Papi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Couldn't believe this when I heard. Was lucky enough to meet him before a show in Belfast not long before his death. He was a total gent and even though there was quite a few people about the venue he did a few rounds making sure to chat to everyone, get a photo and asked if anyone needed anything else signed. Still have my ticket and WWE magazine signed from then... lol, everyone was shocked to hear him speak in his american twang and not his kayfabe Latino accent. it was gas when he was on his way into the arena, someone asked for a photo with their kid, to which he obliged from behind a metal fence... commenting that this definitely wasn't the first time he had his photo taken behind bars. haha, Legend.

I would imagine he would still be wrestling to this day had the drugs not taken their toll on his health.
    Imagine the wealth of knowledge he could pass down to NXT rookies if he went the route of trainer....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder if he had lived would we have ever got to see Vickie working for the WWE.

What an amazing partnership draw they would have been together.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk5HkA7_1s0&feature=youtu.be

Eddie as Tiger Mask v Jushin Liger in Best of the Super Juniors Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I wonder if he had lived would we have ever got to see Vickie working for the WWE.

What an amazing partnership draw they would have been together.

She was involved with stuff during the Rey Mysterio feud in summer of '05, so it would have been possible

She was involved with stuff during the Rey Mysterio feud in summer of '05, so it would have been possible

My only memory of her during that feud was her missing her cue for a ladder spot that lead to Eddie losing his ****e in the ring asking "where the **** is vickie ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Loved Eddie. Always came across as a star. First memory of him is in WCW on TNT on Friday nights with the singlet and long tights look. Matches always entertained even if I didnt fully understand what it was I liked about them. From his debut on Raw to his death I always had Eddie as one of "my guys". Whether it was as Latino Heat with his Mamacita, Eddie the heel IC champ, Uncle Eddie with Chavo in Los Guerreros to Eddie the World Champ he was always a highlight of the show. So many moments in interviews or skits that we could have pages upon pages of videos without even including any of his matches.

Also my lasting memory of his death is going to an IWW show in I think the SFX in Dublin either the day of or day following his death and there being a 10 bell salute and fans chanting "EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE" and I think somebody also did the 3 amigos and frog splash to win a match. Think Raven was in the main event of the show but I may be remembering that part wrong, Leggo might remember cos Im sure he refed all the matches.

Advertisement