Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O' Dea gets himself in hot water, still believes he has done nothing wrong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Considering Willie has been saying for months to anyone who even hinted at his recent difficulties that he can't figure out what he did that was wrong (see any of the Limerick papers where he's been mentioned in the past three months), I hardly think it likely that he picked up a sudden flash of inspiration from the sky in mid-July. As you can see from the Leader report to which you've linked, he's also now saying that he overpaid for the libellous comments, which sounds as though he's adding financial misjudgement on to his initial and subsequent misjudgements (ie making the comments in the first place and then saying he didn't say them).

Being more blunt than I should be but less blunt than I could be, with a series of misjudgements like that even by his own admission, perhaps he should stick to his usual method of being a knocked up county councillor sorting out stuff for constituents where the mighty mouse appellation may be warranted rather than aiming to get back in the cabinet where the church mouse tag seems deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

sceptre wrote: »
    Considering Willie has been saying for months to anyone who even hinted at his recent difficulties that he can't figure out what he did that was wrong (see any of the Limerick papers where he's been mentioned in the past three months), I hardly think it likely that he picked up a sudden flash of inspiration from the sky in mid-July. As you can see from the Leader report to which you've linked, he's also now saying that he overpaid for the libellous comments, which sounds as though he's adding financial misjudgement on to his initial and subsequent misjudgements (ie making the comments in the first place and then saying he didn't say them).

Being more blunt than I should be but less blunt than I could be, with a series of misjudgements like that even by his own admission, perhaps he should stick to his usual method of being a knocked up county councillor sorting out stuff for constituents where the mighty mouse appellation may be warranted rather than aiming to get back in the cabinet where the church mouse tag seems deserved.
    I do not care about his opinion of Financial payments for slander, that was his own fault. Just like anyone else who was caught for similar offence for slander.

He was in a high public office (Minister of Defence) and lied in the High Court using a false sworn affidavit.
    He revels ongoing gardai confidential investigation information to a Journalist with unproven allegations. During the Court case he accused the Journalist who printed the information in the Newspaper, that the article was a fabrication. He was caught rotten on tape in his hilarious stunt in a Pub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***********&feature=related

I cannot believed he still believes he has done nothing wrong. This is worst that the false sworn affidavit as he is proving that he has poor distinction between of right and wrong. He has put himself in the same hole as Ivor Callely and John O'Donoghue, who both believes that they have done nothing wrong for their high life expenses while the country is suffering a recession, and both too are claiming they are the victims.

Lying (written or verbal) in Court is perjury and is an offence.
    If you look at perjury offences. The court does get convictions and especially since Willie has been caught rotten on the black and white taped evidence put forward by the Journalist and his own Written sworn affidavit he put forward to the Court.

Roy Behan was convicted of perjury
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1019/behanr.html?rss & http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1011/behanr.html?rss
    Even a Building Contractor was convicted of Perjury
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0225/1224241774546.html

So I do not know why the DPP never proceed with the prosecution of Willie O' Dea. I wonder if any deal has been taken place there. It gives an impression they may have been one. It also gives the impression that there is immunity for a privilege group and the rest are punished for breaking the Law. It what happens when people like Willie O' Dea get off with an offence committed in Court in plain sight of a Judge.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/DPP-decides-Limerick-TD-Willie.6423647.jp
    Deputy O'Dea said he was not surprised by the DPP's decision.

"The allegation was one of perjury, which means I deliberately and knowingly gave an untrue version of accounts in an affidavit. I knew I hadn't done that," he told The Irish Times last night.
    I cannot find anything in the Irish Time Website printing that bit of information. I wonder if the Irish Times failed to believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

But the good people of Limerick will likely re-elect him anyway...so it goes on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The mouse that springs to my mind is Mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

limklad wrote: »
    I cannot find anything in the Irish Time Website printing that bit of information. I wonder if the Irish Times failed to believe him.
    An extremely quick google gave me this:) Reasonable to assume that's where the quote came from. Nothing to do with them believing him or not, it's merely his stated opinion, nothing more.

• Advertisement

An extremely quick google gave me this:) Reasonable to assume that's where the quote came from. Nothing to do with them believing him or not, it's merely his stated opinion, nothing more.
    This was Willie O Dea comments
    While relieved, he was not surprised by the outcome.
    The allegation was one of perjury, which means I deliberately and knowingly gave an untrue version of accounts in an affidavit. I knew I hadn’t done that.

Garda sources last night confirmed the DPP’s decision. The matter, which centred on suggestions by Mr O’Dea that Sinn Féin councillor Maurice Quinlivan was linked to a brothel, forced Mr O’Dea to resign as minister for defence in February.
    The Interview to the journalist was clear and he knew what he said because he wanted the journalist to go after Maurice Quinlivan using and abuse of garda information. That was deliberate intent and a thing you do not forget doing.

He also knew that Slander and a false sworn affidavit is an offence. After all he is former barrister and law lecturer.

Punishment for perjury are

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0031/sec0029.html#partii-sec29
    29.—(1) A person guilty of an offence under this Part shall be liable, upon conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding €100,000, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years, or to both.

(2) The District Court may try summarily a person charged with an offence under this Part if—

(a) the court is of the opinion that the facts proved or alleged constitute a minor offence fit to be tried summarily,

(b) the person, upon being informed by the court of his or her right to be tried with a jury, does not object to being tried summarily, and

(c) the Director of Public Prosecutions consents to the person being tried summarily for the offence.

(3) A person who is tried under and in accordance with subsection (2) shall be liable, upon conviction, to a fine not exceeding €3,000, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, or to both.

(4) Section 13 of the Criminal Procedure Act 1967 shall apply in relation to an offence under this Part as if, in lieu of the penalties specified in subsection (3)(a) of that section, there were specified therein the penalties provided for in subsection (3), and the reference in subsection (2)(a) of the said section 13 to the penalties provided for by subsection (3) shall be construed and have effect accordingly.

The DPP need to be questioned on why they let Willie of the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

So,the Gardai gave Willie O'Dea a private briefing to tell him that he was in the clear for perjury?

I suppose Willie will not be able to remember that Garda's name either just like he failed to remember the name of the Garda who he "claims" gave him the original smear.

Here is what Fintan O'Toole said about O'Dea at the time

"If Willie were the captain of the Titanic, he would have been the first man in the lifeboat, dressed in bonnet and frock. He was, after all, quite prepared to see a journalist lose his job in order to save his own skin. (If Mike Dwane of the Limerick Leader had, as Willie implied, invented the smear that created all the trouble, no media outlet would employ him.) He even suggested in his last-ditch interview with Seán O’Rourke that he would consider naming the garda who allegedly gave him the false information – another potential sacking to save his own job."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0223/1224265029998.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

i do not know about you folks, but i for one am not in the least bit suprised,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gravy Fanatic

Hes a good man Willie is, them fellas in the media have been out for him and it isnt fair at all. Hes a man of integrity and substance, but they have nearly ruined him now. Willie is in a right hole now altogether, but hopefully he pulls himself out of it and gets back into politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hes a good man Willie is, them fellas in the media have been out for him and it isnt fair at all. Hes a man of integrity and substance, but they have nearly ruined him now. Willie is in a right hole now altogether, but hopefully he pulls himself out of it and gets back into politics.

Yawn.

Stop being boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

hopefull its very very deep and full of schite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

limklad wrote: »
    So I do not know why the DPP never proceed with the prosecution of Willie O' Dea. I wonder if any deal has been taken place there.

The Government appoints the DPP and also appoint the senior Gardaí and these are the same Gardaí that could find no evidence to prosecute Ray Burke and the minister whom bertie sent up every tree in north dublin to find evidence against burke, and failed, was then made the justice minister. Say no more. And people will still vote Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

Hes a man of integrity and substance, but they have nearly ruined him now.

Yea, right.

The kind of of integrity and substance that lead him to slander a political opponent and then deny it it in a false sworn affidavit to the High Court.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Gravy Fanatic

Hes a good man Willie is, them fellas in the media have been out for him and it isnt fair at all. Hes a man of integrity and substance

Even if you believe ever word Willie O'Dea has said he is not a man of substance or someone who has done nothing wrong.
    1. He says something to a journalist knowing it is being taped.
    2. He then in court denies saying the something and does not ask to hear the tape again. Hearing the tape again would remove the small chance he misremembers the original conversation.

Looking at evidence when it is easily available is something someone of substance does. Not looking at evidence when it is available in an important matter means that you "deserve to be sacked, or to have to resign as a minister".

Someone who gives evidence in court without listening back to a tape of the incident is incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

flutered wrote: »
    hopefull its very very deep and full of schite

He'd just be one more turd then, floating with his brothers.

Be like being back in the Frontbench !

Advertisement