Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESRI calls for Policy elements of Decentralisation to be Re-centralised

• 19-07-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭

another view against the scheme

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0719/breaking37.html

The decentralisation of policy-making must be immediately reversed if an efficient public service is to be achieved, ESRI economist Prof John Fitzgerald said today.

In an address to the MacGill Summer School in Glenties, Co Donegal, Prof Fitzgerald said the programme had made decision-making considerably less effective and more costly.

“It is clear that, properly managed, many functions of administration can take place away from the centre, but policy making needs to take place at the heart of key public bodies,” he said.

“It is not just the question of the major increase in costs that decentralisation imposes on the policy making process; rather it is the damage it does to the policy-making process itself.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And as thread starter, what's your own view of the article as the forum charter requires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 127.0.0.1

There are corporations spanning the world and connected by modern telecomunication and conferencing technologies, who have no problems with "decision making"
    Yet our heavily unionized "servants" can not adapt, or are not willing? wasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sceptre wrote: »
    And as thread starter, what's your own view of the article as the forum charter requires?

I believe he is right....I think the policy making core of the public service should be centralised with the political system

I dont think the US would send their policy advisors to Alaska

I think it will result in a lot of duplication of services, wasted time and resources

127.0.0.1 wrote: »
    There are corporations spanning the world and connected by modern telecomunication and conferencing technologies, who have no problems with "decision making"

all these things you mention are available and are being used, I think the problem moves beyond an inability to meet face to face to more of a loss of 'joined up thinking' by having the relevant people together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 127.0.0.1

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think it will result in a lot of duplication of services, wasted time and resources

Most of these services like IT and accounting for example can be privatized and outsourced, or at least be done by one shared entity

I would give an example of ESB of how this can be done, the company was split into sub-companies withing the Group (Networks,PowerGen,Customer Supply,International) also Eirgrid controlling the grid infrastructure separately

IT,HR,Accounts etc was separated into Shared Services and provided to the companies within the Group

I do not understand why this can not be done within the public service, the again the whole PPARS fiasco has shown how utterly incompetent this sector is at improving itself :(

• Advertisement

IT,HR,Accounts etc was separated into Shared Services and provided to the companies within the Group

I do not understand why this can not be done within the public service, the again the whole PPARS fiasco has shown how utterly incompetent this sector is at improving itself :(

we are talking about the 'policy making' elements of the civil service in this instance not its service departments

I agree that such facilities can be shared across organisations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Similarly...

There are Government Departments spanning this State and connected by modern telecomunication and conferencing technologies, who have no problems with "decision making" either.

Yet another public service bashing thread for absolutely no reason. Do you not think that Goverment Department's have such technology in place?

Decentralisation was a sop to voters in this State, an attempt to buy votes, and a blind man can see that decentralisation does not give value for money to the public.

Also it is logical that face to face meetings are far more productive for discussing, deciding and working through policy than tele-conferencing.

Good lad, paint 360,000 people with the one brush from one mistake.

Similarly I could say the same about the private sector given the banking mess... but that would be facetious and an outright lie based on intentional misconceptions and blind prejudice.

Are there no standards of debate at all on this message board?

Advertisement