Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary O'Rourke on 4fm this morning with Derek Davis

Options
  • 18-07-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone hear this ?

I've checked their "listen again" page, and it's not there.

Basically, Derek introduced O'Rourke as a "straight talker"

And I texted in saying "If she's such a straight talker, maybe she'd like to be the first FF member to admit that FF aren't unpopular 'because of tough decisions', but because of 'crap decisions'"

She went off on a usual FF blame-the-messenger deflection / attack the questioner about the "straight talker" part being "snide", and wondering if I was such a "straight talker" myself (anyone here can judge for themselves)

But she did manage to grudgingly admit that - in addition to being unpopular because of the tough decisions (all of her emphasis on that part) - there were some bad ones too (barely audible after her earlier emphasis, to my ears anyway) that were a factor.

So I've finally managed to get an FF member to state a fact and admit that their party is partly responsible due to crap decisions! Must be a first!!

A small victory for democracy and truth, but one nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind hearing it back.....anyone know when it's likely to be online ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

If anything, you were being generous to her by using the phrase "crap" decisions! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For me Mary O'Rourke characterises everything that is wrong in this country. She's a spoofer, yet highly regarded in FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RATM wrote: »
    For me Mary O'Rourke characterises everything that is wrong in this country. She's a spoofer, yet highly regarded in FF.

Indeed, in any other reality she wouldnt have made it past barmaid. But thanks to our wonderful system these clowns manage to get to make billion euro decisions. I am in awe , I truely am.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well the "Jessica Fletcher/endearing little old auntie" mask certainly slipped today when she took a pot-shot at my valid question with a variation on the "bullying" bull**** that O'Donoghue, Ahern, O'Dea & Callely have all used!

I was stunned at her stance......although maybe I shouldn't have been......she is a member of FF after all, and I'm only a taxpayer/voter; what would I know about what constitutes a fair question posed to those who should be answerable to the citizens of this country.

Dying to hear it again, though! Davis had just spent the first hour with guests pointing out all the crap decisions re the bank guarantee, and I was even surprised that he neutralised his stance by saying "some people blame FF" (or words to that effect) despite having spoken his mind in the previous hour.

I tell ya, FF are dangerous when they want to throw ****e and make reasonable questions seem wrong, and then couch 90% of their "answer" attacking the questioner so that you barely notice the actual answer.

I've seen this deluded arrogance before, but it's never been directly aimed at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's not "deluded arrogance", its towing the party line. Not that that wins any moral high ground for her. You're hardly going to get a woman whose family and life are intrinsically linked to the FF party to turn on that party in public.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    It's not "deluded arrogance", its towing the party line. Not that that wins any moral high ground for her.

Which completely shows up her fictional stance as a "straight talker".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Did anyone hear this ?

No
    4FM is Ireland’s new multi-city radio station, broadcasting to counties Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Clare.
    So I've finally managed to get an FF member to state a fact and admit that their party is partly responsible due to crap decisions! Must be a first!!

A first for what, what are you taking credit for?

Irish Independant Friday May 14th
    TAOISEACH Brian Cowen last night admitted for the first time that Fianna Fail governments had made mistakes that contributed to the banking collapse and economic crisis."
    He said the Government "shares responsibility for its role in these mistakes".

The Taoiseach added: "Governments must never again intervene in property markets, via tax incentives or other measures, to a degree which may make possible property bubbles.

"There was a failure to implement more intensive compliance regulation of those financial institutions which were too big to fail.

"I believe that auditors, regulators and governments all share part of this responsibility.

Think somebody has beaten you to it.

A small victory for democracy and truth, but one nonetheless.

Did Derek Davis read out your text?
    You're the next Jeremy Paxman alright, hard hitting questions

Did you read what I said ?

FF continuously trot out the lie that the reason that they're unpopular is "because of tough but necessary decisions".

Firstly, there's a HUGE difference between "mistakes" and "crap decisions".

Secondly, they've never acknowledged that their unpopularity is because of those "crap decisions". O'Rourke did (barely, fudged and begrudgingly) today.

Did you read what I said ?

No, but I read what you wrote ;)
    Firstly, there's a HUGE difference between "mistakes" and "crap decisions".

Maybe, I don't see a distinction there, I accept if you do

Maybe, I don't see a distinction there, I accept if you do

So you've never come across someone who thought their idea or approach was brilliant (when in fact it wasn't) and they followed through that idea on purpose......i.e. it's not a "mistake" ?

• Advertisement

That would be a misguided decision so that on reflection wasn't the correct decision

We're playing words with English here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

Liam, you seem to be happier for the fact that you got a response to your text rather than the actual thread itself. I'm sure you'll reflect and in time agree that this is a non-story, but hey, you got your moment of glory. Enjoy.

Wide Road wrote: »
    Liam, you seem to be happier for the fact that you got a response to your text rather than the actual thread itself.

I'm happy that a politician actually had to tell the truth.

As for the thread, I was curious if anyone else had heard it, and given that they wouldn't have taken her stance as "personally", with the attempted slur on "the texter", how it came across to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I read that thread title as "Mary O'Rourke on 4am this morning with Derek Davis". She's a media whore but I doubt she's smoking crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

There has never been a mic that O'Rourke disliked!

I'm happy that a politician actually had to tell the truth.

As for the thread, I was curious if anyone else had heard it, and given that they wouldn't have taken her stance as "personally", with the attempted slur on "the texter", how it came across to them.

Liam, where is the rest of my post? Ah come on, are you being selective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

It isn't a national radio station, it covers 5 counties, possibly with some overlap.
    If a presenter reads a text and you get an answer, it isn't aimed at you, it is aimed at the many thousands who were listening.

And if you are thrilled at what happened here, then go work for a local paper or radio station and work your way up to a national level. Live95FM even.

You've a way to go before presenting Primetime or the Frontline or any current affairs program.

But sure, we all know you'd have a hard hitting interview style and would take no prisoners. ;)

He put a question forward, got a semi-honest response which is a lot to expect from a FFail member. He asked had anyone heard it to see what their take was on the response. What's your problem? I feel your bile should be directed to Mrs. O'Brien Mary for letting down the party;)
    Straight talk in any form from FFail is unusual.

Wide Road wrote: »
    Liam, where is the rest of my post? Ah come on, are you being selective?

OK - I've finally realised what this "selective" bull that you keep harping on about means!

There is no requirement to quote a complete post unless it puts the quoted part out of context.

He put a question forward, got a semi-honest response which is a lot to expect from a FFail member. He asked had anyone heard it to see what their take was on the response. What's your problem? I feel your bile should be directed to Mrs. O'Brien Mary for letting down the party;)
    Straight talk in any form from FFail is unusual.

I can't find the post by "feelingstressed" that you quoted, but they're talking through their arse, because O'Rourke explicity said that she hoped thought the texter (i.e. me) was being snide and hoped the texter (i.e. me) was as straight talking in life as in print (or something like that)

So THAT PART of her answer couldn't possibly have been a case of....
    you get an answer, it isn't aimed at you, it is aimed at the many thousands who were listening

As for the rest of the post about working in the media - guess you never know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Did anyone hear this ?
    I heard they are all working like blacks in FF, so it's ok really.

• Advertisement

OK - I've finally realised what this "selective" bull that you keep harping on about means!

There is no requirement to quote a complete post unless it puts the quoted part out of context.

I bet Liam you're on a downer now after your moment of glory. I hope you enjoyed it. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gravy Fanatic

The mammy is no spoofer, shes been helpin the soldiers, who in turn have been helping the country. Sure this recession has got everyone forgetting about the good times, then everybody for bertie. No with a bit of pain they are all giving out, like rats deserted a sunken ship.

Typical, typical, typical.

Interesting....

All the other shows from Sunday are available to listen to again

http://www.4fm.ie/listenagain_dj.asp

Davis's show link is the only one missing.

Curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Just a note in general (as I won't repost such a comment); anyone being critical of FFail is considered to be 'bashing' or 'ranting', anyone defending them has little other recourse than to pretty much tell people 'to go do something to themselves'. I'd like to thank my governments supporters for instilling me with the confidence that at the end of the day they care about everybodys well being and free democratic expression:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Is anyone else here totally sick of hearing this B****x everytime you turn on the radio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Hi Liam,

Would love to hear it if they ever do have the guts to put it online so keep us informed.

I'm subscribed to thread to get response by email.

Good work on above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

No

A first for what, what are you taking credit for?

Irish Independant Friday May 14th
    link perchance so we can see what else he asaid

he said the Government "shares responsibility for its role in these mistakes".

The Taoiseach added: "Governments must never again intervene in property markets, via tax incentives or other measures, to a degree which may make possible property bubbles.

"There was a failure to implement more intensive compliance regulation of those financial institutions which were too big to fail.

"I believe that auditors, regulators and governments all share part of this responsibility.
    the entire trust of this is share responsibly, when they appointed lame regulators as policy, its government function to take responsibly and there still trying to suggest unfortunate accident.

Advertisement