Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When & How could there be a united Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

owenc wrote: »
    from coleraine to the mull of kintyre its only 30 miles, from coleraine to donegal is far further. I can currently see scotland from my house when i look out the window.

In a car, you can start in Coleraine and be in Donegal in 20 minutes. You are right beside Derry ffs and Derry is on the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Dude its not "occupied" by anyone

The plantation didnt take place during the 20th Century you know :rolleyes:

thanks sherlock I am aware of this. What way do you want it put. People from a foreign country land and pushed people off the land that is rightfully there own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

karma_ wrote: »
    In a car, you can start in Coleraine and be in Donegal in 20 minutes. You are right beside Derry ffs and Derry is on the border.

I'm talking about distances not driving time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wheres that ?

Even if theyre Southern Protestants or Mainland Catholics ?

And not all Protestants in NI are of Scottish Planter Descent. Many are of Anglo-Irish decent (or some mixture thereof)

Not to mention many Catholics (and others)

Sorry I should have said British planter descent but most of Ulster planters were Scottish. Yes the same would probably be said for Southern Protestants. A lot of Protestants in the likes of Donegal actually identify more with NI than the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Please just stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

jordan.. wrote: »
    People from a foreign country land and pushed people off the land that is rightfully there own.

I think youll find most people in NI were born here and bought/rent their houses/land
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Myself, or anyone else can call the six counties whatever they want, Ulster, the North, whatever. Each is valid.

I thought Ulster had nine counties ?

See if you look Northwest from where you are right now, that's Donegal, it's closer distance wise that Scotland. Have you even looked at a map of Ireland?

Sorry I should have said British planter descent but most of Ulster planters were Scottish. Yes the same would probably be said for Southern Protestants. A lot of Protestants in the likes of Donegal actually identify more with NI than the Republic.

The southern planters are nearly all english, the northern ones are all nearly scottish, thats why theres so few people in the church of ireland.

See if you look Northwest from where you are right now, that's Donegal, it's closer distance wise that Scotland. Have you even looked at a map of Ireland?

No the hill behind me is blocking the view, so its impossible to see donegal from coleraine and you should know that by going over the coleraine mountain and i can live outside coleraine you know.

No the hill behind me is blocking the view, so its impossible to see donegal from coleraine and you should know that by going over the coleraine mountain and i can live outside coleraine you know.
    LOL

• Advertisement

No the hill behind me is blocking the view, so its impossible to see donegal from coleraine and you should know that by going over the coleraine mountain.

Err, because something isn't within sight does not mean it's not there. I can't see Belfast but I know it's to the southeast of me.

Err, because something isn't within sight does not mean it's not there. I can't see Belfast but I know it's to the southeast of me.

Whatever scotland is closer to me than the republic of ireland.

Seriously, open up google maps. Look at it and stop embarrassing yourself with sheer ignorance.

I think youll find most people in NI were born here bought/rent their houses/land

Irish land was confiscated and used to settle colonists!! Did you not do history in school, or were you given the sugarcoated version

Seriously, open up google maps. Look at it and stop embarrassing yourself with sheer ignorance.

No i measure with a straight line scotland is closer, i can see it from my firggen house, its obviously closer and if i put on my binoculars now can see the lighthouse in kintyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Myself, or anyone else can call the six counties whatever they want, Ulster, the North, whatever. Each is valid.
    It is certainly the case that there are multiple popular names for many jurisdictions (e.g. America / the states / the US) but the phrase “six counties” is a politically loaded way of referring to Northern Ireland. It was used by republicans in the past (and regrettably in the presence) as a way of indicating that they did/do not recognise British rule in NI.
    Fine and dandy in the past, but anybody, republican or otherwise, who continues to do so is flying in the face of democracy and the Good Friday Agreement.

Irish land was confiscated and used to settle colonists!! Did you not do history in school, or were you given the sugarcoated version

We went to a school were they taught us correct history and not some crap made up. My familiy were farmers and they BOUGHT the land.

lugha wrote: »
    It is certainly the case that there are multiple popular names for many jurisdictions (e.g. America / the states / the US) but the phrase “six counties” is a politically loaded way of referring to Northern Ireland. It was used by republicans in the past (and regrettably in the presence) as a way of indicating that they did/do not recognise British rule in NI.
    Fine and dandy in the past, but anybody, republican or otherwise, who continues to do so is flying in the face of democracy and the Good Friday Agreement.

And that is why i don't like it, its offensive.

No i measure with a straight line scotland is closer, i can see it from my firggen house, its obviously closer and if i put on my binoculars now can see the lighthouse in kintyre.

Moville is in Donegal and it's closer to Coleraine than any part of Scotland. It's not only closer, but it's closer by a good margin. Now if you can't see that geographical fact it's not my fault.

Moville is in Donegal and it's closer to Coleraine than any part of Scotland. It's not only closer, but it's closer by a good margin. Now if you can't see that geographical fact it's not my fault.

I live to the east of coleraine and scotland is closer by 1 mile.

• Advertisement

This happened long before anyone here today was alive and is therefore pretty irrelevent.

Did you not do history in school ? They way youre talking youd swear the plantations took place in the 1960's or something.

lugha wrote: »
    In fairness any way of referring to any country is politically loaded.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Paulie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]http://www.homeatfirst.com/2007/British%20Isles%20Map.gif

With the new motorway I travelled to Belfast from Dublin in an hour and a half I think it was, dont quote me! I flew from Dublin to Galway before in 25 mins. Roughly the same distance as Dublin to belfast.

This happened long before anyone here today was alive and is therefore pretty irrelevent

Did you not do history in school ? They way youre talking youd swear the plantations took place in the 1960's or something.
    Yes, thats right, events which took place outside of living memory are irrelevant......

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Paulie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]http://www.homeatfirst.com/2007/British%20Isles%20Map.gif

With the new motorway I travelled to Belfast from Dublin in an hour and a half I think it was, dont quote me! I flew from Dublin to Galway before in 25 mins. Roughly the same distance as Dublin to belfast.

I flew from derry to glasgow in 10 minutes and derry to dublin in 20 minutes in a turboprop which i thought was going to fall out of the sky.

I live to the east of coleraine.

You may do, however not far enough east that you are no longer in Coleraine. Even if you lived east of Coleraine would not change the fact that you are closer to that part of Donegal than to Scotland.

We went to a school were they taught us correct history and not some crap made up. My familiy were farmers and they BOUGHT the land.

made up crap!!!! I actually cant continue listening to your bollex!

Ignorant ****..

Yes, thats right, events which took place outside of living memory are irrelevant......

So do you recognice the legitimacy of the United states of America and the right of the non native-american inhabitants to decide on the form of government therein ?

There cant be too many square metres of habitable land on this earth which one person hasnt at some point taken from another at the point of a club/spear/gun/cannon.

made up crap!!!! I actually cant continue listening to your bollex!

Ignorant ****..

Of course its crap when they tell you that all the settlers came to steel land when infact that is untrue, mines came to look after the undertakers not steel land.

• Advertisement

unbelievable the fcuking attitudes of some people isnt it

unbelievable the fcuking attitudes of some people.

Well after what happened in the past what do you expect.

Apparently thats irrelevant.

Of course its crap when they tell you that all the settlers came to steel land when infact that is untrue, mines came to look after the undertakers not steel land.

they came to create a strong protestant base to withstand rebellion from the native Irish!
    Id be pretty sceptical of alot of what you where thought.
    Do you think American kids are thought the full truth of what was done to native Americans?

enlighten me!!??

they came to create a strong protestant base to withstand rebellion from the native Irish!
    Id be pretty sceptical of alot of what you where thought.
    Do you think American kids are thought the full truth of what was done to native Americans?

You don't know you weren't alive so you have no proof to the full scale damage.

• Advertisement

enlighten me!!??

Between unionists and nationalists.

Apparently If they did they would realise that they had no right to a say in determining the future of their own country and indeed should be eternally grateful to the remaining native americans for allowing them to remain and not running them back across the sea to the lands frome whence their ancestors came ?

Have I got that right ? :rolleyes:

You don't know you weren't alive so you have no proof to the full scale damage.

it has been well documented wee man, and my family where around and suffered at their hands so I know enough!

it has been well documented wee man, and my family where around and suffered at their hands so I know enough!

So you've got pictures and all that, and you've spoken to them too.:rolleyes: You have no idea what we have to go through.:(

So you've got pictures and all that, and you've spoken to them too.:rolleyes: You have no idea what we have to go through.:(
    There are plenty of primary sources. Considering we have primary sources from the fall of the roman republic, eg Cicero, his letters, Ceasers biography etc etc... It is not so surprising that there are records from the time you speak of.

• Advertisement

Presumably If they did they would realise that they had no right to a say in determining the future of their own country and indeed should be eternally grateful to the remaining native americans for allowing them to remain and not running them back across the sea to the lands frome whence their ancestoers came ?

Have I got that right ? :rolleyes:

your attitude is, because it happened long ago it is irrelevant. Why hide the truth?? Whats there to be afraid?? Oh wait, near genocide, slavery pretty big list actually!

Im out of here ****ebags, have an awful evening ;)

your attitude is, because it happened long ago it is irrelevant. Why hide the truth?? Whats there to be afraid?? Oh wait, near genocide, slavery pretty big list actually!

Im out of here ****ebags, have an awful evening ;)
    Bit harsh haha

There are plenty of primary sources. Considering we have primary sources from the fall of the roman republic, eg Cicero, his letters, Ceasers biography etc etc... It is not so surprising that there are records from the time you speak of.

No, but he has no proof that his family had land stolen of.

Bit harsh haha

not you man, you cool. Have a great evening!

Everyone else, awful evening ;)

not you man, you cool. Have a great evening!

Everyone else, awful evening ;)

Same to you.;)

No, but he has no proof that his family had land stolen of.

now your scottish, first it was english, then northern irish

i wish i could ban you :D

your attitude is, because it happened long ago it is irrelevant. Why hide the truth?? ........

My attitude is that the question of whether Northern Ireland should be part of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland is a matter to be decided in a democratic manner by its inhabitants and events from hundreds of years ago while perhaps interesting are not particularly relevent given that all the protagonists are long since dead and therefore dont (usually) have a vote.

now your scottish, first it was english, then northern irish

i wish i could ban you :D

No southern irish planters are english, and i am indeed scottish descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Bebs

Irish people have this awful victim complex about themselves. That was then and this is now. Man (or woman) up and move on with your lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

"yes" says the britman "i got all them stupid paddys arguing about their own land, its working, all that sky tv and sun newspaper has the stupid paddys thinking like ourselves, yes were converting them to west brits and they are so dumb they dont even know it, they think its stylish and posh to act like this ha ha ha "

• Advertisement
Advertisement