Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beer advent Calender

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Log into your Groupon account on the desktop site and you'll find your tracking number, use it on the German dpd site

Thanks Monkstownhoop.

I did that (it wasn't showing in the DPD.IE site) - went onto the DPD.DE site and apparently my beer is in Oldbury (BG) as of yesterday.

(mouth watering)

Thanks Monkstownhoop.

I did that (it wasn't showing in the DPD.IE site) - went onto the DPD.DE site and apparently my beer is in Oldbury (BG) as of yesterday.

(mouth watering)

Well, dpd.de still thinks my package is in Oldbury, dpd.ie never had a clue where it was (and still doesn't), and the package is currently in the back of my car awaiting it's trip home.

So hang tough, it'll come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Missed it while out today, typical

Opened it up last night (to look! - honest).

24 different wheatbeers, one dopplebock, and a few dunklels. Looks very good. I tihink I'll open one or two a week, and maybe order a case of one if it really hits the spot (it whatever private brewery ships to Ireland).

It has also confirmed to me - that we are in the ha'penny place when it comes to brewing. I'm moving to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It has also confirmed to me - that we are in the ha'penny place when it comes to brewing. I'm moving to Germany.
    Ah here, Germany is good for the old classic styles, but it can be quite boring when it comes to anything new. Lots of standard macro fare too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    it can be quite boring when it comes to anything new.
    There's plenty of great progressive stuff, but just like here you have to look for it and it can be tough to find outside the major cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ah here, Germany is good for the old classic styles, but it can be quite boring when it comes to anything new. Lots of standard macro fare too.

Irish Red or Stout anyone?

the latest fad with Irish brewers is to finally catch up with hoppy IPAs, goody gumdrops.

To say Germany is boring, in comparison to Irish brewers, is a bit rich tbh.

Irish Red or Stout anyone?

the latest fad with Irish brewers is to finally catch up with hoppy IPAs, goody gumdrops.

To say Germany is boring, in comparison to Irish brewers, is a bit rich tbh.

Ok, name me some exciting German beers

My recent favourites have included Camba Bavaria Imperial Black IPA, Hopfenstopfer Incredible Ale, Schoppe Bräu Roggen Roll, Weithaler Hoptimum Pale Ale, Hanscraft Backbone Splitter IPA, Riegele Simcoe Kellerbier and Propeller Nachtflug Imperial Stout. If nothing in there excites you then I'm terribly sorry: you have died.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    My recent favourites have included Camba Bavaria Imperial Black IPA, Hopfenstopfer Incredible Ale, Schoppe Bräu Roggen Roll, Weithaler Hoptimum Pale Ale, Hanscraft Backbone Splitter IPA, Riegele Simcoe Kellerbier and Propeller Nachtflug Imperial Stout. If nothing in there excites you then I'm terribly sorry: you have died.

Well I didn't ask you to do it because I knew you'd come up with some! :pac: Sure it's almost your job to do it. ;)

The point I was making was that there is a general perceived perception that Germany is a Mecca for fantastic beer, which is true in the sense that they have a fantastic tradition, but that tradition is steeped in lots of nice, but uninspiring, beers.

The US surpasses ze Germans when it comes to innovation and experimentation. I know there's a resurgence happening in Germany at the moment, the sleeping giant is awakening so to speak, but for country with such a tradition in beer they could be doing more.

I read article a while back about the beer scene in Germany, can't find it though.

they could be doing more.
    The thing is that observations about why Place A is not the same as Place B are pretty futile. I'll personally strangle the next English person who wonders out loud why Ireland hasn't wholesale adopted cask beer yet, when it's such an obvious thing to do. The fact is that Ireland is not England; and Germany is not the US; and all of these places have brilliant beer and terrible beer and things could be different in all of them.

Edited to rant further: And there's an equally pointless corollary complaint, that German (or Belgian or English or Norwegian) beer is being taken over by American-influenced styles and that all craft beer bars all over the world are exactly the same and you can't get a decent glass of normal German (or Belgian or English or Norwegian) beer any more. And that's nonsense too.

That's fair enough, and I agree that there are good and bad beers in all countries, but I was initially replying to LF's comment.......

Which I think is nonsense.

Yes, on a pro rata'd population basis Ireland can certainly muster more than 24 different wheatbeers, one dopplebock, and a few dunklels :) And if Irish beer doesn't float your boat it's a hell of a lot easier to buy imports here than it is there.

Just arrived in time for the weekend. Plenty of catching up to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Finally got to tuck in to a few bottles. I decided to go with the 'light' beer one. I took a gamble hoping that by light they actually mean helles. Seems my assumption was right.
    First two out were pretty decent helles lagers.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, and I agree that there are good and bad beers in all countries, but I was initially replying to LF's comment.......

Which I think is nonsense.

Yeah, I withdraw the remark. I was having a bad day, and had forgotten about all the new (and not so new) craft beers coming on stream.

I had/have given up beer for two months, and the strain was showing. A situation which will be rectified over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Anybody know if this will be happening again this year

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ask and you shall receive. Just posted in Bargain Alerts.

There are also a couple more on Amazon.de mentioned in the post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This looks tasty but saucy http://www.craftbeeradventcalendar.co.uk free deliver so you could send to parcel motel.

You could always make your own with a plastic beer crate and some wrapping paper.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This looks tasty but saucy http://www.craftbeeradventcalendar.co.uk free deliver so you could send to parcel motel.

I was going to link to that, but they don't deliver to Ireland and I believe that Parcel motel won't accept liquids, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement

Were they not about €40 last year and with 500ml bottles?

Yeah Parcel Motel used to turn a blind eye to delivering alcohol, but they've clamped down on it over the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Someone linked to a few over on BA forum recently. Don't know how importing these would work.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Were they not about €40 last year and with 500ml bottles?

Correct. I got the helles one last year. Wouldn't be bothered with that one, you'd be better off heading to Drinkstore with your money. I'm sure he'd do you up a nice surprise box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Yeah Parcel Motel used to turn a blind eye to delivering alcohol, but they've clamped down on it over the last while.
    DPD Parcel Wizard doesn't mention alcohol as a prohibited item in it's terms & conditions...

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/Terms-Conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Master of Malt are doing boozy advent calenders too.
    I like the look of this ginvent calender.
    Pricey but very cool.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    DPD Parcel Wizard doesn't mention alcohol as a prohibited item in it's terms & conditions...

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/Terms-Conditions
    But does say "Agricultural and Food products".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DPD deliver my coffee all the time. I will be using this service to get a good few bottles of this

http://craftrebellion.com/shop/beavertown/heavy-water/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

DPD always deliver my order from The Belgian Beer Factory without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

man, I love heavy water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

man, I love heavy water

Tis sold out, same on another UK site and they were charging £3.30...bloody Irish tax.

1/5th of the staff in the Brewery are Irish.

No an advent calendar as such, but a nice box of mixed craft beers on groupon at the moment

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/gg-beer-52

10 craft beers, book, snack - 29,99

They look like decent British craft beers - I've not seen them over this neck of the woods.

Lots of good beers there. The Brussels Beer Project ones are great. You just need to remember that you're signing up to a subscription with that, and to cancel it if you don't want it.

Back again but this time its 19.99

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/gg-beer-52-1

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

How much was it before?

How much was it before?

Was 29,99 now 19,99. Few posts up. Probably should have quoted myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    DPD always deliver my order from The Belgian Beer Factory without issue.

Cheers, folks in this house now drooling over that site. Is delivery really only €12. Are there any hidden charges like revenue taxes ?

jos28 wrote: »
    Are there any hidden charges like revenue taxes ?
    Short answer: possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,576 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Revenue do not let you pay yourself - retailer has to. It either gets or is siezed

Advertisement