Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building domain Server/network

Options
  • 08-09-2011 1:13am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25

hiya,
    this is probably easy for most of ya out there but I decided to test myself with a little challenge... your help/advice would be greatly appreciated :confused:

I have a small home office setup with one server. It has 2 large (500Gb) hard drives which are now setup in a Mirrored Raid. I'm going to install 2008 server here on a partition of 100Gb. I'd like to create a domain controller from this install on this partition but does a domain controller server need to have a static IP Address or dhcp????
    i would have thought the server might be static but not really sure... but I would like my laptop and desktop to connect to this domain and then get a DHCP address if possible..... :confused:

Now next question is more about playing around with Virtual Servers.

On the remainder of the free hard drive space (400Gb), i'd like to create a partition to install a "virtual file server" using vmware cos its free :o)

I know i could probably just use that space to save data to without creating a virtual server environment but i'd like to at least try it.
    It's not critical if I mess the whole thing up. Just would like to have a go!! has anyone done something similar to this? I like the idea of having a file server there that doesn't actually exist....:D
    anyway, Thanks in advance
    Alabama Slamma:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭francois

A DC needs s static IP, you install the DNS and DHCP roles on the server, this will give you an ip for your laptop-If you are usuing server 2008 R2, install the hyper-v role if you want to create a VM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

if ur using Hyper V you wil need to ensure that your CPU is up to Hyper V Specs also, this catches alot of people

Advertisement