Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey Buzzard trapped

Options
  • 23-09-2010 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

There is a honey buzzard trapped in our hay shed/converted stable that appears to be unable to leave. I think he followed the swallows that are nesting into the shed. The door is open but he seems unwilling/unable to exit through it. He s been there 2 days now, what should I do? i'm fairly sure its a honey buzzard from pics of birds on wikipedia. Its breast plumage is quite identifiable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

More likely a young Buzzard rather than the much rarer Honey Buzzard. Go in and throw a blanket/sack over it and carry it out. Wear stiff gloves and you should be fine. All else fails try chasing it out. Cruel to be kind often works. If it seems ill and lethargic you should be able to easy pick it up - call a vet or nearest animal welfare group, or wildlife ranger. Generally if birds get in somewhere they will eventually get out with enough persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

+1 on what Srameen has said. Especially on the contacting of people if it seems injured or ill.

I had a male sparrowhawk chase his prey into the house one day, and went down the gloves and towel route to get him out. Trust me when I say that an angry/scared/disorientated/fiesty Sprawk at close quarters in a kitchen is a feathered ball of fury, especially one that is not used to being handled :D

Just be happy that it is in a nice open space like a stable, as you should be able to encourage/scare it towards an opening if it is healthy..

Advertisement