Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Irish true stories that would make good films

Options
  • 20-12-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I'm studying scriptwriting, and thinking that I've exerted myself of sci-fi and horror due to my short films on boldbrat.BlogSpot.com and realise maybe working on a genuine true story, that sounds odd but is true would work, an Irish story. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

anyone?

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bueller?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Past Limerick gang violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Why not find your own stories?
    As a writer you don't need to rely on others for your ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Off the top of my head, moving statues in Ballinaspiddle. Certinaly some of the hystera surrounding it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Buck Whaley and The Hellfire club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Heroin in Athlone.

I was thinking of combining the moving statues, the building of an airport a la Knock and the Fatima hijacking into one glorious whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

True storey.
    Early 70 ' s Ireland.
    Engineer buys a fishing trawler to go shark hunting off the South coast (basking sharks for liver oil)
    Builds his own harpoon gun and one for a mate. These fire a steel shaft about a meter long and 40 mm round. They also make their own gunpowder.
    For gore you have the sharks being harpooned and opened for their liver.
    For humour you have the fact that the mate blew up his wheelhouse (and himself) about 3 times while cooking the gunpowder.
    For drama you have the fact that he was manufacturing guns and gunpowder in early 70 ' s Ireland and the implications that has re IRA.
    For tugging at heart strings you have the wife left at home with 5 young kids and very little money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

This would make an excellent dark comedy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Malloy

Advertisement