Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle fire HDX €129 @ Argos

Options
  • 26-11-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1429587.htm

Same seems to be £109 on Amazon

Stock in most places:
    http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=1429587
    The Kindle Fire HDX Tablet has a high resolution display and high pixel density for an incredible multimedia experience. Kindle Fire HDX tablets are powered by the 2.2 GHz quad-core processor. With 11 hours of reading, web surfing over Wi-Fi, video watching or music playback the Kindle Fire HDX is a great on the go device.
    The exclusive HDX display brings together unsurpassed pixel density (339 ppi), perfect colour accuracy, reduced glare and improved brightness for a superior viewing experience. Perfect-colour HDX display, plus powerful quad-core processor for fast, fluid performance and immersive entertainment.
    100% HD display with over 2 million pixels. Revolutionary free, live video tech support from Amazon. Kindle FreeTime for individual profiles and time limits for kids.
    Display:
    7 inch screen.
    Resolution 1920 x 1200 pixels.
    Multi-touch screen.
    Specifications:
    2.2GHz quad core processor.
    2GB RAM.
    16 GB internal storage.
    Fire OS Mojito operating system.
    General features:
    Built-in speaker.
    Webcam.
    Wi-Fi enabled.
    Bluetooth - enabling you to easily and wirelessly connect with other bluetooth enabled devices.
    3.5mm stereo headphone jack.
    Microphone.
    1 x USB 2.0.
    Micro USB.
    Additional information:
    Up to 11 hours battery life (depending on usage).
    0.9mm thin.
    Size H18.6, W12.8cm.
    Weight 303g.
    EAN: 0848719025514.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was thinking of getting a normal kindle ereader for Christmas. What would be the difference between this and the ereader ?

Sorry for the stupid question.

This is more a tablet than for reading books exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This is more a tablet than for reading books exclusively.

Ok thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Thanks for posting, might pick up one today for Christmas for the daughter. Anyone have any experience with one of these? Are they at least on par with the Kindle for reading books?

I was going to buy an ordinary kindle as the daughter already has a tablet but this is coming in at nearly the same price as the ordinary kindle.

Thanks lads.

Yeah but a Kindle is a dedicated eReader. The Kindle Fire has a colour screen and will suffer the same problems other tablets do i.e very hard to see the screen in sunlight. The ordinary Kindle will probably have an e-Ink display which can be read anywhere and requires very little power thus increasing battery life.

In other words if you want to surf the internet, read email, look at photos etc get the Kindle Fire. If you want something that's designed solely for reading books then get the Kindle.

I have seen articles though that many people now aren't bothering with the eReaders and just using their tablets. That's fine but don't expect the tablet to excel at it like the eReader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Does anyone know if you buy it though Argos whether they have the sponsored screensavers and promotions that they charge you extra to not have when through Amazon direct?

Not a dealbreaker but charging £10 to avoid advertisements is a sneaky marketing trick/ revenue generation stream that doesn't sit right with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Does anyone know if you buy it though Argos whether they have the sponsored screensavers and promotions that they charge you extra to not have when through Amazon direct?

Not a dealbreaker but charging £10 to avoid advertisements is a sneaky marketing trick/ revenue generation stream that doesn't sit right with me

I don't know but I have had my kindle for 2 years and have barely even noticed the adverts - they are only there when you go to swipe into the device

It seems to be a very recent pheneomenon and from reading online has caused a lot of controversy albeit with the option to disable the ads for a £10 payment at any time through Amazon customer support

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

amazon.de doing the 32 gig as opposed to the 16 for €139... Anyone have any thoughts on buying this instead? I think they deliver to Ireland for free. It's like 350 for the same in argos, seems almost too good to be true :P

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

diograis wrote: »
    amazon.de doing the 32 gig as opposed to the 16 for €139... Anyone have any thoughts on buying this instead? I think they deliver to Ireland for free. It's like 350 for the same in argos, seems almost too good to be true :P

Would like to know this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Delivery from .de is never free. They'll send most stuff but not the Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I've just had a look at the amazon.de website - went through the motions of buying a kindle but the website was trying to redirect me to amazon.co.uk. Is there any way around this? The kindle paper white was coming up at €99 as opposed to €139 on Argos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I used this service (German Parcel motel) to buy one the other day.
    http://www.mailboxde.com/
    Wished I waited now as I would have got the 16GB one in argos, it works out about the same. Shipping cost 18 euro with them - has not arrived yet.

Works out the same as the argos price to buy on Amazon.co.uk too though

Works out the same as the argos price to buy on Amazon.co.uk too though

32 gig on amazon uk is 129 pounds which is 160 euro. how...?

32 gig on amazon uk is 129 pounds which is 160 euro. how...?
    £129 is €163

The 16GB is £99 which is €125. Granted the rate you get when paying may be slightly higher. It's also always better t pay in sterling on Amazon as the credit card company give a better rate than Amazon when they do the rate

16 gig from argos it is! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Twatter

€249 now (valid until 1st December)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I reserved it at the lower price, will they honour it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

What are people's opinions on this? Is it a good tablet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

What are people's opinions on this? Is it a good tablet ?

Its been getting very good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have a 16gb Kindle Fire HD (the one before the HDX). I use it mainly as a media player (playing MP4 files) and to play games. If I get another one (or I could go back in time), I'd definitely go for 32gb at least. The standard Kindle OS (on the HD anyway) doesn't support google accounts out of the box, so if you have games and apps on your android phone, you have no way to install them on the tablet.

There are workarounds, though - the HD can be rooted. I have cyanogenmod on mine (Kitkat), so now it's a standard Android tablet with google services and the amazon app store. Not sure about rooting the HDX, but research it first to make sure it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Myself and the brother were looking for a simple, decent tablet for The Mammy this year for Christmas, just for browsing and reading on.

Picked up the last one in Blanchardstown. Thanks so much for this OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hession

Just checked it gone back up in price
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1429587.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

If you follow the directions on XDA boards directly then its not so bad. I used towelroot and installed some exposed module thing yo get all the google apps. I haven't a clue how to do this, just followed instructions. With google services these are an excellent tablet.

I reserved yesterday and contacted local Argos who confirmed that they will honour reservation at the lower price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

What are these like in terms of use as an e-reader?

I know it'll never be as good as a dedicated e-reader but would it be better than a standard tablet?

Looking at one to give as a gift but can't decide between this or the Kindle Paperwhite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've a Kindle Fire HD that I got as a Christmas present last year. Absolutely love it. I didn't realise about the ads at the time, I got Amazon to call me and they very kind & quickly turned off the ads for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

What are these like in terms of use as an e-reader?

I know it'll never be as good as a dedicated e-reader but would it be better than a standard tablet?

Looking at one to give as a gift but can't decide between this or the Kindle Paperwhite.
    I have both. I haven't gone back to the Paperwhite since I got my Fire. The battery lasts longer on the Paperwhite and the screen isn't as bright (both at the lowest brightness setting), but in a good way. I wouldn't have an issue going back to the Paperwhite, but I mainly use the Fire as I can check my mail at the same time or use Goodreads.

Advertisement