Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinners from supermarket offers

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be nice to see what people are making with the value offers in supermarkets.

For example this weekend I am doing:
    Roast chicken 3e aldi
    Potatoes and roasted butternut squash 1e supervalue
    I have an onion and breadcrumbs in the freezer as well as herbs/butter. I may throw on some of Aldis 49c carrots on day two since we tend to devour squash.

At a very generous 1e for trimmings from the cupboard that gets a lovely roast dinner for two of us, for two days for 5e which is a great price for us!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

This is a great idea and I would defo check in here to see what people are doing with the special offers. Thanks mirrorwall14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I bought the full chickens for cooking in the slow cooker, along with 49c potatoes, veg comes from the garden.

I bought 3 x 3 euro mince, Aldi, made spaghetti Bol & lasagne, Meatballs & shepherds pie

Bought 3 euro Aldo chicken mini breasts, chicken curry & made soup for lunch for work, along veg from garden,

Bought 3 euro pork chops to make Chinese pork in slow cooker,

Also stocked freezer with these to make in the future, not to mention frozen lasagne etc.

Won't have to buy meat for 2 months plus used 10 euro voucher from last weeks paper

I have a 3 euro aldi chicken roasting to make soup for the week. Roast chicken soup is divine, just takes a lot of effort. Once roasted, you then make chicken stock from carcass etc. and then make soup using whatever veg you like. I use pots, onions, Carrots, celery, squash.

You can add pasta too if it needs it, but the cheap chicken is the hero

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

lazeedaisy how do you do the chinese pork in the slow cooker? Bought a sc a few years back thinking it would transform my cooking but seldom use it!!! One more gadget sitting in my press which hardly sees the light of day oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Changed my plans a little. Here's my breakdown of costs. I'd love to see others do similar and learn some new stuff! Where I knew it I've marked the full cost of the ingredient, then the price of the ingredient used. If its marked CB I already had it. I've priced any of the really minor stuff at 5c where they are just too small to figure out cost.

tqZ1Rt4.png

Veg
    LHCFD63l.jpg

yMYfHU1.png

• Advertisement

Chinese pork

4 Pork chops
    1 teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder.
    1 clove garlic - crushed.
    Teaspoon caster sugar
    100mls Hoisin sauce
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine, sake or dry sherry.

Rub the chops all over with the five spice powder then the crushed garlic. Place the pork in a glass or china dish.
    Mix together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the pork, making sure it is evenly coated.
    Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.

Put in slow cooker on low 8 1/2 hours before you plan to eat, turning it off after 8, and let sit for 20/30

Serve with rice or noodles and stir fried veg. I usually cook the rice the night before and heat just before dinner, I then throw in veg to stir fry and throw in some of the sauce from the pork,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I have a 3 euro aldi chicken roasting to make soup for the week. Roast chicken soup is divine, just takes a lot of effort. Once roasted, you then make chicken stock from carcass etc. and then make soup using whatever veg you like. I use pots, onions, Carrots, celery, squash.

You can add pasta too if it needs it, but the cheap chicken is the hero

You should try making turkey soup. My mother used to make it every Christmas, using the turkey carcass and the bone from the ham joint. It was mind blowingly flavourful, far more so than chicken soup. You need a pretty big pot though. That's the only down side, but its well worth it. As you get A LOT of flavour from a turkey carcass, you can add truck loads of water and still have loads of soup. She would feed a family of 5 for two days running, on the one batch of soup. We all looked forward to the soup on the 27th & 28th, far more than we did the Xmas day dinner. Bleedin' delish so it was ! :D

Thanks For the suggestion, don't think I am gonna get better value than €3 chicken, may have to wait til Christmas as there is only 2 of us,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You should try making turkey soup. My mother used to make it every Christmas, using the turkey carcass and the bone from the ham joint. It was mind blowingly flavourful, far more so than chicken soup. You need a pretty big pot though. That's the only down side, but its well worth it. As you get A LOT of flavour from a turkey carcass, you can add truck loads of water and still have loads of soup. She would feed a family of 5 for two days running, on the one batch of soup. We all looked forward to the soup on the 27th & 28th, far more than we did the Xmas day dinner. Bleedin' delish so it was ! :D

we'll be needing mammy's recipe there so thanx;)

The next few days have two main dinners. Note I've been pretty sick and in hospital so these are slow cooker/convenience rather than fancy dinner requiring work though I'm trying to get fresh or at least home blanched/frozen veg in. Also had to get a delivery from tesco coz I'm not fit for full shops tho I went as cheaply as possible

Key Offers here: Chicken and Beef from aldi at 6e. I've also been freezing other offers e.g. the carrots etc so they are still being used

Roast Beef Dinner
    Roast Beef (Aldi 6e) 3e
    Croquettes (Tesco) 99c
    Carrots/Parsnips from freezer (Aldi) 38c

Recipe:
    Sear beef on all sides in a hot pan. Season as preferred. Into the oven covered following guidelines for weight for cooking time. Add croquetts to the top of the oven for the last half an hour. I just boiled and mashed the carrots/parsnips

Husband is a big meat eater and the cut isn't huge so approx 2.19c each with roast beef over for sandwiches for lunch/tea

Left over roast beef simmered in gravy
    Potatoes (Tesco 1.99 2.5kg) 50c
    Carrots (Tesco 99c 1.5kg carrots) 33c
    Parsnips (Tesco 1.29 500g) 43c
    Left over roast beef 3e
    Gravy15c
    Butter, oil 10c
    Onion 8c

Slice beef thinly and trim if preferred. Peel potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Dice/slice onion as preferred.
    Boil potatoes. Mash thoroughly with butter, salt (to taste) and milk if preferred. Put into dish and sear the top under the grill
    Boil and mash carrots/parsnips with butter and salt to taste.
    Heat oil in pan. Add diced onion and herbs/garlic to taste. Once translucent add cooked beef and enough beef stock to cover the meat. Simmer lightly. When all veg etc is ready to go add gravy to thicken and serve

Chicken Curry Slow Cooker
    (Recipe from slow cooker thread here on boards)
    Garlic (Tesco €1.95) 10c
    Ginger (Aldi ??) 50c (guesstimate!)
    Chilli (Tesco €1 from freezer) 50c
    Cayenne Pepper (Tesco 79c) 8c
    Garam Masala (Tesco 99c) 10c
    Salt 5c
    Oil 10c
    Tomato Puree (Tesco 49c) 5c
    Chilli powder 5c
    Coconut powder (Tesco 1.95) 25c
    Ground Almonds (Tesco 1.99) 30c
    Coriander 10c
    Cumin 5c
    Can chopped tomatoes (Tesco 54c) 54c
    Tin coconut milk (Pride 99c) 99c
    Chicken (Aldi) 6e
    Onion (Aldi) 16c
    Peppers (Tesco Value) 1.39
    Mushrooms (Tesco everyday) 99c
    Cauliflower (Tesco frozen 1.5) 75c
    Rice (cupboard) 50c

Total 13.55. This will serve at least 6 and we are freezing four portions of it.
    Per person about 2.25

Finally for anyone interested this is what I'm using to know what to freeze and how long to blanch/cook for. Its a brilliant way to be frugal when you are only cooking for two as nothing goes off on you and you end up with easily cooked bags of veg in the freezer in individual portions

• Advertisement

Yesterday I made a pork hotpot in the slow cooker.

€3 pork chops from Aldi
    49c potatoes from Tesco
    Carrots & garlic & onion from garden
    Home maðe chicken stock

Slice the potatoes & carrots,
    In a bowl add onion, garlic & chicken stock - & season to taste - you need a lot of stock as you need to cover the whole dish.

Grase the crock pot
    Add half the sliced potatoes, cover with half the sliced carrots,
    Add the pork chops with fat cut off, just layer them over the carrots,
    Add another layer of carrots, finish off with a layer o f potatoe,

Pour stock mix over to cover to to the potato layer but do not overfill. Add a knob of butter over some potatoes

I put on low for 12 hours

It was amazing,

Plus I mixed all that was left with water & have 3 lunch soups for work in the freezer,

Because some of the veg came from garden, it's difficult to cost, but with himself back in college the slow cooker will be used a lot when I am working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Leeks and carrots on offer this week in aldi, got a €3 chicken, chopped it up, with the cheap spuds I got Tuesday from last weeks offer, we got two dinners, roasted breast on bone, roast spuds, carrots and leeks.

Second dinner was soup, cook off the remaining parts of the chicken in the oven, with a carrot, leek and some garlic, pick off bones and skin, add to a pot with more carrots and sauté leeks, some spuds, use the roast bits from the chicken tin, deglaze roasting dish and add to soup. It's delicious, I add a few peas too.

Butternut squash soup here for the next week, add a few chilli flakes for a kick. That feeds us lunch and dinner for about 4 days, for just over a tenner including peas.

The above used almost two bags of spuds and two bags carrots, two squashes.
    Next time I'll try and price it all out.

Oh, forgot to add, I'm feeding a teenager too, so might last two adults a bit longer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

very interesting thread............really no excuse for people eating processed junk when fresh food is so cheap and readily available. Love the way all the veggies are chopped and frozen....really got to get over my fear of the freezer.

However, I do have a problem with some of these prices.

Particularly in relation to meat production. What shortcuts are taken in the food chain in order to be able to retail a chicken for 3 Euro?

Same with beef. And eggs.

For example I always buy my Christmas turkey free range from our local farmer. He told me last year that he pays more for the chick than some of the Supermarkets retail the final product.

Still, I'd much rather support him and what is best for animal welfare.

Are our farmers and suppliers being bullied into supplying vegetables for next to nothing by the supermarkets?

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but just trying to see all angles.

anewme wrote: »
    very interesting thread............really no excuse for people eating processed junk when fresh food is so cheap and readily available. Love the way all the veggies are chopped and frozen....really got to get over my fear of the freezer.

However, I do have a problem with some of these prices.

Particularly in relation to meat production. What shortcuts are taken in the food chain in order to be able to retail a chicken for 3 Euro?

Same with beef. And eggs.

For example I always buy my Christmas turkey free range from our local farmer. He told me last year that he pays more for the chick than some of the Supermarkets retail the final product.

Still, I'd much rather support him and what is best for animal welfare.

Are our farmers and suppliers being bullied into supplying vegetables for next to nothing by the supermarkets?

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but just trying to see all angles.

Most of these are being run as loss leaders by the supermarkets-they make up the balance on the back of the other stuff we buy

Been distracted from posting.

Today made http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2534644/slowbraised-pork-shoulder-with-cider-and-parsnips
    Using

2*Pork offer from aldi (4e)
    1*carrots aldi (59c only used half)
    1*parsnips aldi (99c)
    1*potatoes aldi (59c only used half)
    2 onions from press
    1 can cider ~2e

Everything else I had in the press. It was frigging gorgeous and really good value. Easily 4 portions in it, more if you added more veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Been distracted from posting.

Today made http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2534644/slowbraised-pork-shoulder-with-cider-and-parsnips
    Using

2*Pork offer from aldi (4e)
    1*carrots aldi (59c only used half)
    1*parsnips aldi (99c)
    1*potatoes aldi (59c only used half)
    2 onions from press
    1 can cider ~2e

Everything else I had in the press. It was frigging gorgeous and really good value. Easily 4 portions in it, more if you added more veg.

Just discovered this thread. Thanks so much for posting..
    Going to try this tomorrow. Looks great..

Just discovered this thread. Thanks so much for posting..
    Going to try this tomorrow. Looks great..

I followed the comments and reduced the stock and boiled on the stove for the last half hour to reduce. Came out really well. OH has approved it for our main dinners!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I could never put the effort in to chasing all the supermarket offers this intently but I love to see that *someone* does.

MYOB wrote: »
    I could never put the effort in to chasing all the supermarket offers this intently but I love to see that *someone* does.

To be fair I mostly chase aldi's since they are right beside me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Best thread I've ever come across while procrastinating at 4.20 at night :D Keep up the good work mirrorwall and chums!

• Advertisement

Best thread I've ever come across while procrastinating at 4.20 at night :D Keep up the good work mirrorwall and chums!

I did a lot of random browsing the last few nights coz I was back in hospital. I'll be intermittent but I will keep posting. It's quite motivating :)

Popping in again.

Last two days:

Roast Pork dinner
    Pork Loin stuffed (Aldi) 3e (only ate half of 6e super 6)
    Carrots and Parsnips (Aldi) 39c (saved two carrots for tomorrow)
    White potatoes (Tesco) 19c (only used half)
    Sweet potato (Tesco) 70c (only used half)
    Bisto best gravy (Cupboard) 5c
    Butter (Fridge) 5c
    Total Cost for a generous two 4.38

Sweet potato and potato mash (boil and mash with butter)
    Carrot and parsnip mash (boil and mash with salt/pepper/butter to taste)
    Pork (baked in oven until correct temp using thermometer, gravy to taste)

Sweet potato/Potato/Pork patties for tea

As there was mash over I chopped some left over pork, mixed it and some flour through the mash and fried it up in patties for tea. Turned out lovely and cost maybe 50c for the pork? Note this is mainly because the sweet potatoes are huge at this time of year and you have to match it with equal white potato)

Pork Fried Rice
    1 Egg (Tesco value) 18c
    Basmati Rice (Tesco value cupboard) 25c
    Frozen Peas (Tesco Value freezer) 20c
    Carrots (Aldi offer) 20c
    Soy Sauce (Aldi) ?? 10c
    Remaining Pork (Aldi) 2.50
    Garlic/Ginger (Fridge squeezies) ?? 40c
    Half an onion (Cupboard) 10c

Total 3.93 for two (plus some over)

Fry up onion, garlic and ginger. Add pork and heat up thoroughly. Boil rice, carrots and peas while doing this.
    Remove pork mix from pan
    Add beaten egg and cook until fully scrambled. Add back the pork mix plus the soy sauce.
    Drain the rice/carrots/peas and toss into pan with the mix. Stir thoroughly.
    Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

L1011 wrote: »

There's a lot of money to be saved following the offers and coupons. I've started it during the last few months. Buying extra when the sale is on. For example,
    Persil non bio 64 wash 1/2 price + €1.00 coupon = €7.00 to cover 3 months washing.
    Thirst pockets €3.99 for 8
    Avonmore Cheese 1/2 price + 60c coupon = €1.20 for 200g

Meal planning saves money especially when it's worked around the Aldi offers. Anything I save goes into a savings jar :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A staff member in the local Super Valu told me their fruit and veg offers run Thursday to Wednesday, sometimes for one week, sometimes for two weeks. If you go in on the Wednesday afternoon they are reducing the offers to make way for the new ones on the Thursday. I got trays of carrots and parsnips for 19c down from 49c, bags of carrots and parsnips 80c down from 1.49, punnets of plums 50c from one euro. Happy hunting all. :D

Well this is the perfect time of year for this :)

Cooked a big Sunday dinner style dinner for 7 last night as follows:

2 3e chickens from aldi
    2 49c bags of white potatoes Aldi
    1kg 49c bag of carrots aldi
    1 49c bag parsnips aldi
    1 49c bag of Brussels sprouts Aldi
    1 99c 400g bag of breadcrumbs aldi
    1 ~2e sausage meat aldi
    1 9c bag onions Eurospar

Total shop: ~11.50 (only used half sausage meat)

Cupboard:/owned:
    Parsley, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, butter, bisto best chicken gravy, chicken stock, spray oil, garlic

Best guess at cost: 14-15e odd

Roasted the two chickens in a tin with some onion inside, spray oil, herbs salt and pepper on skin

Parboiled then roasted the potatoes in oven tossed in salt, pepper, butter and spray oil

Boiled/mashed carrots/parsnips. Boiled Brussels sprouts.

Breadcrumb stuffing: finely diced onion fried, add garlic and herbs, add breadcrumbs, add stock a spoon at a time (with some chicken juice), salt and pepper to taste

Cooking club stuffing balls as per recipe on boards.ie though using dried herbs. Forgot the egg but didn't need it!

Consensus was dinner was fabulous, everyone got fed and there were leftovers. For 15e it was a cheap and lovely way to have visitors without breaking the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Mirrorwall, you'd get my vote as minister for finance. :D In addition to my previous post, stocked up on loads of trays of carrots and parsnips this week, 25c per tray. They do a good reduced section in my local Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Excellent thread! Need to tighten the belt majorly from now on so will try get involved here.

There are 2 adults, 2 children + 1 infant here. Aldi is our nearest supermarket and the main go to shop.

I currently havea €3 chicken roasting, hope to post back with some costings over the next few meals.

I lost my receipt so these are approx costings!

Irish Stew
    Stewing Beef 4e
    Carrots (used half 1.5kg bag) ~1e
    Onions ~50c
    Dash of garlic 10c
    Roosters 2e
    Stock pot 50c

Parboil carrots/spuds and toss the whole lot into the slow cooker. Yum :) two days dinner for us (serving at least 4). Bit of flour and water and a few Yorkshire puddings are a nice addition if you have the time/are using the oven

8.10 total (approx 2e per person, depends on the spuds!)

Pork, roasties and mash
    Stuffed loin of pork 4e
    Roast potatoes 1e
    Carrot/parsnip mash 99c

Enough for leftovers so served four though prob need more spuds on day 2. Roast pork (used BBC good food instructions). Parboil spuds then roast above the pork in the oven. Carrots/parsnip mash (yes I know again, OH doesn't like most veg but he will always eat this so we have it a lot!)
    Cost about 1.50-2e depending on numbers served.

Also just a reminder when veg is on offer, soups can be made for next to nothing and if served before dinner they really do help stretch meals as well as getting veg into the kids!

• Advertisement

This will be one of four recipes posted in the next day or two. I'm due and may end up being induced due to high BP so I'm stocking the freezer with meals. Note that not all of this is the cheapest you could get it at, for example I went for pre prepped carrots because I'm not up to much and I didn't have time/energy to shop around for the ingredients. Total cost of everything for the four different recipes from Aldi came to 50e though so its not expensive for the amount of food. This is including 2 sets of small foil trays and 2 sets of large small trays which can go from freezer to oven after defrosting. I will mark any additions I use

First up is beef and stout stew
    5z8rnXL.jpg?1

Ingredients
    Irish Stewing Beef 4.99 (unfortunately the super 6 was out of stock, you could save here)
    Irish stout 1.89
    Soup Mix 1.29 (only used onion and parsnip for this dish, the leek and carrot are for a different one)
    Large Onions 0.47 (used one, the largest-it was massive!)
    Prepared carrots 1.19
    (Note: I couldn't fit the salad potatoes in, we will just cook them and eat them separately. If you have a large slow cooker then they'd fit)

Additional store cupboard ingredients
    Beef stock (cube or pot is fine)
    2 tablespoons of plain flour
    1 bouquet garni (only because I had it)
    Salt/Pepper
    Dash rosemary
    3 bay leaves

Total Cost approx 10e/11e (allowing for unused ingredients for other recipies and the store cupboard. Judging from the size of the food in the slow cooker even without the carb then I estimate at least 6 portions from this. I plan on splitting it into three for the freezer

Instructions
    This is an ammended recipe from here for slow cooker with some changes based on comments

Parboil chopped carrots/parsnips (this is optional, I barely bring them to the boil just enough in case the don't fully soften in the slow cooker)
    Fry up beef with a little bit of rosemary if you like it until sealed then transfer to slow cooker (low heat)
    Add onions to the pan (without washing it from the beef) and soften
    Drain and add the carrots/parsnips to the pan
    Fry up lightly
    Add two tablespoons of flour, stir and fry
    Transfer the whole lot to the slow cooker

Add the stout, bouquet garni, bay leaf, salt/pepper and stock cube to the slow cooker.
    Stir thoroughly.
    Cook on a low heat for 6-8hrs.
    5m8QqJN.jpg
    Depending on the gravy thickness you may like to transfer it to the hob for the last while to reduce or thicken the sauce.

Advertisement