Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DSG Automatic Gearbox

Options
  • 11-02-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a VW with a DSG Automatic Gearbox. Can anyone tell me, is this a "proper" automatic? By "proper", I mean that when in automatic mode does it behave like a normal "traditional" gear box?

I ask because I read it has a dual automatic clutch - and I understand how that works and everything, but I am worried that it will not be the "same" as a traditional auto box - mainly in the repsect of teh following:

On an incline (travelling up hill), when stopped in slow moving traffic, when you take your foot off the break will it slowly creep forward, as per typical automatic, or will it start to coast back, like a toyota MMT gearbox?

Apart from this concern, I would greatly apprecaite anyones comments adn exeperiences on this gear box.

Just as an FYI - I am looking at this in the form of a new (2008) VW Jetta 1.4 TSi Comfortline (140bhp). Comments on this car too would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

matsil wrote: »
    On an incline (travelling up hill), when stopped in slow moving traffic, when you take your foot off the break will it slowly creep forward, as per typical automatic, or will it start to coast back, like a toyota MMT gearbox?
    It holds.
    Apart from this concern, I would greatly apprecaite anyones comments adn exeperiences on this gear box.
    It works beautifully!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Given a steep enough incline, most automatics will roll back. They will creep forwards on the flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭matsil

Alan1 - On a steep hill I wouldn't mind so much.... just in general day-to-day driving, the froward creeping nature of an automatic is very handy for boring traffic driving..... but the Toyota MMT (at least in the Yaris) is very difficult to handle, in my opinion.....

shayser - thanks for the input!

Advertisement