Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl XXL deals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jeffk wrote: »
    Got four this morning,strange they are not advertised

If you ever changed a deep fat fryer you'll gladly pay 5C for the big bottles the oil come in
    Sure all the shops rip us off in one way or another,sterling is just a clear exaample.

:)

My DFF takes about 2.5 litres of Oil.

Accelerated purchasing is all it is, there is no DEAL here from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Thats because some people were abusing it (buying all the stock) as it makes a great substitute for diesel in older cars

:eek:Jeebus is this true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

vicwatson wrote: »
    This is available as part of the XXL range - it's not by the normal Oils.

However they are charging us Irish €7.99 for the product that's Stg4.99 (a rate of exchange of 0.624 !!)

PLUS

It's cheaper to buy 5 x single litres of the same oil -

€1.59 x 5 = €7.95 !!!!

So why pay €7.99 and the exact same item is €7.95

Cop on Lidl ! Bad enough you robbing us in Ireland with your rate of exchange but then charging us more aswell !!

Ireland has higher vat rate, cost to employ and cost to rent a premises including rates. You are not being ripped off. I would pay the 5c extra for the convenience of the bigger bottle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ireland has higher vat rate, cost to employ and cost to rent a premises including rates. You are not being ripped off. I would pay the 5c extra for the convenience of the bigger bottle.

Cooking oil is 0% VAT here and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

MYOB wrote: »
    Cooking oil is 0% VAT here and the UK.

Fair enough but the other points still stand. Also they would have to transport it here at additional cost. That is assuming it's not an irish product as I am unsure of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I don't think the cooking oil is much of a deal. You can get 5 litres in Dunnes for €7.89, ok you won't get it one bottle but you'll get it at that price all the time rather than stocking up on this one.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Got a few 8-packs of Perlenbacher, great stuff! Even better when 8 for price of 6.

Thanks OP for the heads-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fair enough but the other points still stand. Also they would have to transport it here at additional cost. That is assuming it's not an irish product as I am unsure of that.

Lidl Newry - Stg 4.99

Lidl Dundalk - Eur 7.99

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl Newry - Stg 4.99

Lidl Dundalk - Eur 7.99

Wtf?

Lidl Newry - Stg 4.99
    Lidl Newquay - Stg 4.99

(553 Miles apart)

WTF?

They're in the same national territory serviced by national supermarkets who can't realistically surcharge different regions to reflect increased transport costs but must charge uniform prices (ie. subsidise peripheral areas). In the ROI, Lidl and the rest are under no such legal impediment - transport on 5Lt items like this is probably a larger cost differential than higher wages, admin costs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I think the higher cost is just plain old that the retailers find it irresistible. As much as we like to think Lidl and Aldi are different...they are staffed by the same industry staff from other retailers and it is just simply too irresistible not to charge a few percent on top of exchange rates etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hootanany wrote: »
    :eek:Jeebus is this true.

Very true. I used to do it. Any of the old Toyota's Mercs in fact most diesals without common rail injection can take pure veggie oil as fuel.

My Toyota Hilux ran on it for years. Supervalu sold it for 60c a liter. I went in twice a week and filled the trolley. Very cheap and much better for the environment than Diesel oil .

About four years ago, they copped on. As did the government Doubled the price and that was the end of that .

Anyone with rapeseed fuel got taxed as much as the oil smokers. Oil companies must get paid. Sponsored by the so called green party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

byte wrote: »
    Got a few 8-packs of Perlenbacher, great stuff! Even better when 8 for price of 6.

Thanks OP for the heads-up!

The xxxl sale starts back Monday....but the 8 for 6 Perelenbacher is out on the floor in Lidl Tallaght village today.

As they say in Germany - "jackpot"

Advertisement