Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room sealed stove external air installation and chimney

• 16-08-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am installing two room sealed stoves.

They will be virtually back to back (one in a kitchen, and one in a sunroom), with two flues running up the one chimney.

I need details on how the chimney will work. Do we run metal flues from the stoves right up the chimney, or clay liners or ..... (exact details please!)

Also, how does the external air supply fit in.

Stanley told me

It is recommended that a 4” plastic pipe, for the air supply, is run from opposite sides of the building and a 3” pipe teed off this with the 3” pipe terminating at a position behind the stove. Clearance to Combustibles should be adhered to when deciding on the 3” pipe termination point (ideally the 3” pipe should terminate at 12” from the back of the stove at floor level in the fireplace opening) . It is recommended to run the 4” pipe from opposite sides of building as changes in wind direction can create varying suction & pressure zones which can affect the air flow through the pipe. The outlets of the 4” pipe should be located so as to prevent the ingress of moisture and so that it will not get blocked with leaves or other debris. Suitable vent covers should also be fitted to ensure no rodents can enter the pipe. The 3” pipe is then connected to the outside air adaptor on the back of the stove by means of a 3” flexible pipe (Pipe supplied extends to 800mm approx) which is supplied with the Outside Air Kit with the flexible pipe pushed onto the adaptor (this pipe is not supplied with the Reginald but is available as an optional extra).

We dont have the option of running a 4" the length of the house. We can run a 4" perpendicular to the stove, from outside to the stove, as was recommended by someone in the Stanley centre.

But how does this work exactly? Does this go under the subfloor, does it go on top of the insulation under the floor screed. Does it matter?

Is the 4" pipe bent upwards so that it is almost at a right angle under the stove (or behind the stove) and some sort of reducer or connection to attach to the 3" pipe? Is the 3" completely above floor level?

No one in the trade seems to know for definite!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

If your house is going to be airtight enough to require room sealed stoves you should be asking yourself is there a need for two stoves? You would be creating a sauna environment if they were both on together, not to mention the expense.

Have you considered a double sided stove? Two birds....one stoVe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 mc2010

I'm putting in boiler stove to. didn't think stanley did external supply. was talking to a boru stove agent and all she said was an straight out the back through wall behind stove, think only inch hole. don't think much help to you as you prob don't have external wall. seen a double sided stove. looks a good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭893bet

mc2010 wrote: »
    I'm putting in boiler stove to. didn't think stanley did external supply. was talking to a boru stove agent and all she said was an straight out the back through wall behind stove, think only inch hole. don't think much help to you as you prob don't have external wall. seen a double sided stove. looks a good job
    One inch hole is not going to supply much air.

We put in a 100mm pipe inthe sub floors terminating just under the stove location. Different stoves then come external air kits that attatchss to this pipe.

Check on whatstove.co.UK to ensure the stove you choose is fully room sealed.

mc2010 wrote: »

We put in a 100mm pipe inthe sub floors terminating just under the stove location. Different stoves then come external air kits that attatchss to this pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 mc2010

893bet wrote: »

Ok thanks. Have 100mm pipe in sub floor too. Just starting roof so have bit time do more looking around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

I put a 4in pipe from outside to behind the one stove I have - it slopes down to the outside to ensure any moisture drains out not in - has a rodent proof (I hope :rolleyes:) grill to stop them out there coming in here.

Connected at back of stove with air kit

WARNING: NO STOVE IS ROOM TIGHT - because you have to open the door to feedit. Always be aware of CO and potentially put an CO alarm in the same room as the stove.

Can I ask where where people have the pipe exiting to?

Some people seem to have it coming up away from the house, in a foot path or garden. I brought mine up the cavity and out the external wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

893bet wrote: »
    Can I ask where where people have the pipe exiting to?

Some people seem to have it coming up away from the house, in a foot path or garden. I brought mine up the cavity and out the external wall.

Would that not create a cold bridge

hexosan wrote: »
    Would that not create a cold bridge

Most definitely. Too late to change now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shell820810

I was told to run the pipe perpendicular to the stove, ie not straight out the back, as a gust of wind in through the pipe would blow straight into the stove and effect the flame etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement