Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British bake off

Options
  • 07-08-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Yes I know something wrong in watching a British! Bake off but can the ordinary joe soap recreate these cakes... I was inspired to make a Swiss roll today after watching last night.... A basic sponge ( without the butter) mix with jam inside ... I can only describe it as a great fecking irish disaster so my question is it it possible to recreate these cakes???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Yes, but having some baking experience makes a big difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm always moved to bake after watching an episode :)
    Swiss rolls can be tricky, and I use the Odlums recipe - it never fails.

I watched Irish Bake Off last year when Chong, one of our posters from the Cooking Club was on it, but I prefer the British version.

Edit: I've moved this into Cakes & Bakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

My first time making a Swiss roll probably my last also thank you for the odlams tip Jesus I didn't realise how hard it was to make it! Honestly !

gjc wrote: »
    My first time making a Swiss roll probably my last also thank you for the odlams tip Jesus I didn't realise how hard it was to make it! Honestly !
    Sorry making it was easy but executing it was hard!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's very hard to roll them and mine often crack. They're so nice though - in our house they prefer them to victoria sponge because the ratio of jam and cream to cake is higher :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

It's very hard to roll them and mine often crack. They're so nice though - in our house they prefer them to victoria sponge because the ratio of jam and cream to cake is higher :)

Have you tried rolling them when they're hot then letting them cool. Then you just unroll them fill them and roll them back up again.

Have you tried rolling them when they're hot then letting them cool. Then you just unroll them fill them and roll them back up again.

I haven't, and the recipe I use suggests it. I'll give it a try next time.

I have to say I got hooked on this programme last year.. I am determined to try something each week. I loved the designs some of them made in the actual Swiss roll however they don't really show u how to recreate these

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I have to say I got hooked on this programme last year.. I am determined to try something each week. I loved the designs some of them made in the actual Swiss roll however they don't really show u how to recreate these

All you've got to do is take some of your batter colour it with food colouring and pipe it onto you parchment paper then spread the rest of your batter on top. The best way to do this I find without smudging your design is to pipe the batter on and then bang your tray on the counter a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I think if you enjoy baking anyway then most of the recipes are quite do-able. Obviously they're not always up to Mary and Paul's standard but they're always edible :)

Now I mean no disrespect to any of the Irish bake off contestants, but I found a lot of their challenges to be a bit too easy :p Not that I'm a master baker of anything! But it just didn't always seem quite as technical/showstoppery as the British ones.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2718978/Bake-Off-s-huge-BBC1-launch-GBBO-s-new-series-7-9m-viewers-tune-millions-compared-one.html

Reason I posted above was I found it amusing that online sales of the cherry tin have increased during the programme is there a specific reason for using this type of tin instead of say an ordinary round tin does it help stop the fruit from sinking in some way

As for the beard thing we all cook/bake at home without masks or gloves

The minute I saw that cherry cake I wanted some! It's definitely something I'll have a go at baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

The tin allows for a more even and quicker bake as the surface area is much larger for a similar amount of batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭phormium

Cut a thin sliver off each side of the swiss roll (eat it, cooks perk!) before you try roll it, this removes the crispy edges which can cause it to crack as you roll it. Helps also to score one cut in it, not tons like yer man did, put this cut about half inch in from end you are starting to roll with, it will help curve over the first bit as you start to roll.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I haven't, and the recipe I use suggests it. I'll give it a try next time.

I usually tip mine onto a sheet of baking parchment sprinkled with a bit of icing sugar, then roll it up into the parchment. I then srunch up the ends and put it aside to cool down. It's my belief that you need to let it cool down while keeping as much of the moitsutre in to keep it supple.

Speaking of Swiss Rolls, I was going to make one to serve on Sunday, but I'm worried I may not have enough time on Sunday morning.

I was going to bake the base on Saturday, roll it up as described and put it all in a plastic bag and sit it in the fridge until Sunday - do you think this will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

A few of us got together and we're going to try the technical bake each week from GBBO. Last week was Mary Berry's Cherry Cake. It turned out quite well and was really tasty.

cVW12sys.jpg

This week it's Florentines which look a bit more tricky.

I'm a week behind myself and I'm doing the Swiss roll today so may try and catch up planning one of those savoury biscuits don't know which yet

Shenshen wrote: »
    Speaking of Swiss Rolls, I was going to make one to serve on Sunday, but I'm worried I may not have enough time on Sunday morning.

I was going to bake the base on Saturday, roll it up as described and put it all in a plastic bag and sit it in the fridge until Sunday - do you think this will work?

Yes I think it'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Right so finally got round to the Swiss roll I didn't get round to piping the butter icing and if I'm very honest I found it way too sweet for me the sponge bit was nice and did not crack however whipped cream I think would have been nicer

Just after catching up on last night GBBO want to try the savoury biscuits this week so must track down some recipes

Right so finally got round to the Swiss roll I didn't get round to piping the butter icing and if I'm very honest I found it way too sweet for me the sponge bit was nice and did not crack however whipped cream I think would have been nicer

That looks fab :)

I'm not a huge fan of butter icing either, I prefer cream cheese or cream.

Looks really good, well done :)
    What flavours were you using?

I always go for whipped cream fillings (I'm German, that's how they do them there) and I agree that butter cream is both too sweet and too heavy for the airy lightness that should be a Swiss Roll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I also think it would be fine to do it a day ahead but I'm not sure about putting it in the fridge. I'd be inclined to put it in a tin once it's wrapped in the plastic, it will then be at room temperature when you go to finish it off and likely to be more pliable than if it's cold. Unless a cake has fresh cream already on it, I'd always keep it in a tin, I think the fridge makes bread and cakes go stale more quickly. Just my tuppence worth!

janmaree wrote: »
    I also think it would be fine to do it a day ahead but I'm not sure about putting it in the fridge. I'd be inclined to put it in a tin once it's wrapped in the plastic, it will then be at room temperature when you go to finish it off and likely to be more pliable than if it's cold. Unless a cake has fresh cream already on it, I'd always keep it in a tin, I think the fridge makes bread and cakes go stale more quickly. Just my tuppence worth!

I was thinking about it that way, too, but Swiss Roll base has no fat in it so theoretically it shouldn't go hard?
    But then temperatures have dropped a little, so I suppose it'll be fine outside the fridge for a day, really...

Looks really good, well done :)
    What flavours were you using?

I always go for whipped cream fillings (I'm German, that's how they do them there) and I agree that butter cream is both too sweet and too heavy for the airy lightness that should be a Swiss Roll ;)

I followed this recipe which was a chocolate roll with a caramel buttercream
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/06/great-british-bake-off-recipe-chocolate-and-salted-caramel-swiss-roll-4822215/

I am a bit disappointed with the official GBBO website there are very few recipes there for the biscuit week the farthing biscuits include lard .... !! I realise the biscuits in shops are probably no better but I always associate lard with chips and heart clogging problems !! Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to cakes!! Any thoughts I 'd greatly appreciate
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/farthing_biscuits_61473
    Can't seem to get the above site to link !!

Anyhow if anyone has tried a savoury biscuit recipe could you give me a link really appreciate it as I am trying to expand my baking incompetence !

I followed this recipe which was a chocolate roll with a caramel buttercream
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/06/great-british-bake-off-recipe-chocolate-and-salted-caramel-swiss-roll-4822215/

I am a bit disappointed with the official GBBO website there are very few recipes there for the biscuit week the farthing biscuits include lard .... !! I realise the biscuits in shops are probably no better but I always associate lard with chips and heart clogging problems !! Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to cakes!! Any thoughts I 'd greatly appreciate
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/farthing_biscuits_61473
    Can't seem to get the above site to link !!

Anyhow if anyone has tried a savoury biscuit recipe could you give me a link really appreciate it as I am trying to expand my baking incompetence !

Looks like a good recipe - but I somehow feel it's more of a winter thing somehow? But then I always feel that way about buttercream ;)

I haven't used the GBBO webpage much so far. Whenever I saw a recipe I found interesting, I usually google it until I find a recipe that look both yummy and do-able.
    But using lard doesn't sound too unusual, I know my grandmother used to use it a lot in baking as it was cheaper than butter. I don't think it's any more unhealthy, either, but as a vegetarian I obviously would still simply replace it with butter.

I've never done savoury biscuits so I don't think I'll be any help there, sorry.

Right, the Swiss Roll base is baked and cooling down rolled up in a plastic bag.

I'll report back tomorrow on how it worked out :)

• Advertisement

Attempt number one of my Swiss roll was a disaster as I posted last week. Last night baked this thanks to Cofy in the dinner thread. Heavenly! Now that ived mastered Swiss roll I can try and catch up with some savoury biscuits. I'm trying hard to keep up! As bread week is upon us!

Advertisement