Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams and Holidays

Options
  • 21-08-2014 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,
    was just wondering if there is such thing as chirstmas/january exams in TCD ?
    also when are the holidays for TCD students ? eg. do we have Halloween off etc..
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pandora13

There's really only 22 weeks of lectures altogether in Trinity. Michaelmas Term (i.e. from September to December) comprises 12 weeks with a reading week in Week 7 (this is a week where no lectures take place, and though it seems like a holiday it's designed to give students the chance to catch up on reading or work on term essays). There are no Christmas exams in Trinity generally, though I've heard this varies from course to course, some lecturers such those on BESS courses give term exams in some modules. Michaelmas Term is followed by four weeks of Christmas holidays, and then Hilary Term begins around the second week of January. The structure of this term mirrors Michaelmas Term - 12 weeks of lectures with a reading week in Week 7. Then we have three weeks off to study, and annual summer exams take place over a 3/4 week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Yulkmn wrote: »
    Hi all,
    was just wondering if there is such thing as chirstmas/january exams in TCD ?
    also when are the holidays for TCD students ? eg. do we have Halloween off etc..
    thanks!

Depends what course you do!
    Health Science courses, e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy will have proper, sit-down-for-3-hours Christmas exams, and in Medicine for example you don't get a reading week at Halloween time. You'll find all of it out when your course timetable comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Some of the health sciences courses like medicine and nursing have Christmas exams, and courses can choose have in class exams around Christmas. But for most people all their exams will be in the summer. Which is tonnes of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

Im planning on doing Medicinal Chemistry so I wasnt sure. The summer exams dont sound all as fun if you are tested on the whole year :S

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Noble Automaton

Im planning on doing Medicinal Chemistry so I wasnt sure. The summer exams dont sound all as fun if you are tested on the whole year :S

When I was in first year they didn't seem that bad but I just sat 11 this summer and it was probably one of the most stressful periods of my life so far. It felt like they were never going to end.

• Advertisement

When I was in first year they didn't seem that bad but I just sat 11 this summer and it was probably one of the most stressful periods of my life so far. It felt like they were never going to end.

damnnn that doesnt sound good at all, but hey anything is better then the leaving cert tbh.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

damnnn that doesnt sound good at all, but hey anything is better then the leaving cert tbh.. :D

... There's a fair few of us who'd love to do the entire Leaving Cert again than some of our exams

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Noble Automaton

bscm wrote: »
    ... There's a fair few of us who'd love to do the entire Leaving Cert again than some of our exams

Yup I found the LC was a walk in the park compared to 3rd year exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Oh my sweet summer child

hahaha cheers guys for making me "really" want to go to trinity now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I do love the innocence of LC students who think the LC was the worst of worst exams they could ever possibly sit. Nasty shocks all round come summer exams in college. Long time since I was one of those innocents. Ah youth why have you forsaken me hehe :D

hdowney wrote: »
    I do love the innocence of LC students who think the LC was the worst of worst exams they could ever possibly sit. Nasty shocks all round come summer exams in college. Long time since I was one of those innocents. Ah youth why have you forsaken me hehe :D
    ah no I know it's not the worst of the worst, but it was sh*t cramming in 2 years worth of info in 8 subjects in 3 weeks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

ah no I know it's not the worst of the worst, but it was sh*t cramming in 2 years worth of info in 8 subjects in 3 weeks :/

In Engineering, and I'm sure it happens in other courses, you might sit 11 exams in three weeks. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

comeclosa wrote: »
    Depends what course you do!
    Health Science courses, e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy will have proper, sit-down-for-3-hours Christmas exams, and in Medicine for example you don't get a reading week at Halloween time. You'll find all of it out when your course timetable comes out.
    Just for the record... Pharmacy is one of the few courses without reading week. Or Christmas exams :( (or :) depending how you look at it)

Advertisement