Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commencement 2014

• 19-03-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I want to know if TCD are strict about the wearing of a tuxedo for commencement ceremonies or can a man wear his best "whistle and flute"? My suit is not black and my tie is neither a bow or black/white.

Is it advisable to wear a Tuxedo for such an occasion?

Thanks,

Anspinc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Anspinc wrote: »
    I want to know if TCD are strict about the wearing of a tuxedo for commencement ceremonies or can a man wear his best "whistle and flute"? My suit is not black and my tie is neither a bow or black/white.

Thanks,

Anspinc

I'm not sure how strict the Proctor is about the dress code, but if you wear a suit and tie that aren't black you will stick out like a sore thumb.

If you don't want to get a dinner jacket then you would get away with a black suit and a bow tie. Anything else will look like you aren't part of the ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I've seen people wearing all kinds of things but they do indeed stick out quite a lot. A black dicky or proper bow-tie would hardly break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Its not worth the worry of possibly not being allowed into the ceremony or the questions from relatives about why everyone else has a tux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Garrigai wrote: »
    Its not worth the worry of possibly not being allowed into the ceremony or the questions from relatives about why everyone else has a tux

something unobtrusive and dark - you'll have a gown to hide most of it -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Preferably wear a tux, since almost everyone else will be wearing one (what I mean by that is that if you're not wearing one, on the balance of probability, you'll probably be the only person not wearing one). If you wear a suit, make sure it's black, otherwise you will stick out and look silly. If you do wear a suit, make sure you're wearing a white shirt, or you will stick out and look silly. If you don't have a bow tie, you can probably get away with a plain black necktie.

You can get away with the above, but if you're missing any of the items, it might just be easiest to rent the tux for the afternoon. Any alternatives probably won't work, e.g. don't wear a dark navy suit, dark grey suit, grey / pinstriped shirt, pinstriped tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anspinc

Thanks for all the replies. They were all very helpful. I've gone and got myself a tux (rented). One other thing, it might be a bit late to book this but there was an offer of an evening meal in the old dining hall. Is that the hall above the buttery? Where students can enter everday for their lunch? Or is located elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Thanks for all the replies. They were all very helpful. I've gone and got myself a tux (rented). One other thing, it might be a bit late to book this but there was an offer of an evening meal in the old dining hall. Is that the hall above the buttery? Where students can enter everday for their lunch? Or is located elsewhere?

Yep, that's it. The enormous Georgian hall, impossible to miss.

Depending on when your commencement ceremony is it might still be possible to book Commons on that date. It's rarely full. Just email the catering department and see (though I think that they prefer you to arrange it through the Student Registry or whoever deals with commencements now).

Also, it's not free (not sure from your post). You pay ~€25.00 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anspinc

Thanks 234. Having spent most of my lunch times in that same building I think I'll give it a miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

The dress code doesn't give many details on what women are allowed to wear, like it doesn't mention length. Judging by past pictures the dress I want to wear is a bit shorter than usual, but its definitely 'fancy' so I'm assuming it doesn't matter much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Lawliet wrote: »
    The dress code doesn't give many details on what women are allowed to wear, like it doesn't mention length. Judging by past pictures the dress I want to wear is a bit shorter than usual, but its definitely 'fancy' so I'm assuming it doesn't matter much?

Pics! :D

If you think it is fine then it probably is. Ask yourself if you would wear it to an interview.

• Advertisement

Ask yourself if you would wear it to an interview.
    God no. Its a silk vintage dress, I'd look insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

God no. Its a silk vintage dress, I'd look insane!

PICS! PICS!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

Thanks,

Anspinc

Is this a commencment ceremony for everyone?? Like even new students ? I wasnt told anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yulkmn wrote: »
    Is this a commencment ceremony for everyone?? Like even new students ? I wasnt told anything about this?

Commencement means graduation, so no, not yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Most people at mine last year kept it quite formal; not ball-gown type at all. I had a black dress just above the knee that I've since worn to a couple of interviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

Commencement means graduation, so no, not yet :)

yeah i figured it out after i googled it hahah thanks anyway

Most people at mine last year kept it quite formal; not ball-gown type at all. I had a black dress just above the knee that I've since worn to a couple of interviews...

As long as I'm not the only one with an above the knee dress its all good, even if it sounds like my dress might stand out in other ways!

Advertisement