Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renovating 3-bed Terraced house

• 18-08-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We've recently bought a 3-bed terraced house, approx 1100 sqft. We've gutted it and are now looking to renovate it.

Budget depending pretty much everything needs to be done. As the house is currently a shell, we want to get as close to a full renovation as possible.

So my list is as follows:

Windows/Porch and back door replaced
    GFCH/Re-Plumbed
    Re-Wired if needed
    Warm Boarding front and back walls
    New kitchen/New Bathroom
    Plastering the whole house most likely and then Paint/decorate.

Would we be better to individually source the required trades people for these jobs or should we get a surveyor type person to oversee it all?

Theres no building work required as you can see but still a fair amount of work involved.

Dublin tradesmen seem to be quite busy from my conversations with them and Im wondering would sourcing trades from outside of Dublin be more cost effective?

We're flying by the seat of our pants a bit at the minute, I have friends and friends of a freind who are trades but Id love some advice from people with experience of what the best course of action from the outset would be.

Cheers & sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Gangu

We just fixed up a 1950s house. We started sourcing trades ourselves, but then there was too much interdependency to manage it ourselves, we soon realised. Then we got a builder, but he wouldn't allow us to use any of our trade contacts. This is fair enough, we could see his point of view. We probably paid a good bit more going this route. Pros and cons with both approaches I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi Folks,

We've recently bought a 3-bed terraced house, approx 1100 sqft. We've gutted it and are now looking to renovate it.

Budget depending pretty much everything needs to be done. As the house is currently a shell, we want to get as close to a full renovation as possible.

So my list is as follows:

Windows/Porch and back door replaced
    GFCH/Re-Plumbed
    Re-Wired if needed
    Warm Boarding front and back walls
    New kitchen/New Bathroom
    Plastering the whole house most likely and then Paint/decorate.

Would we be better to individually source the required trades people for these jobs or should we get a surveyor type person to oversee it all?

Theres no building work required as you can see but still a fair amount of work involved.

Dublin tradesmen seem to be quite busy from my conversations with them and Im wondering would sourcing trades from outside of Dublin be more cost effective?

We're flying by the seat of our pants a bit at the minute, I have friends and friends of a freind who are trades but Id love some advice from people with experience of what the best course of action from the outset would be.

Cheers & sorry for the long post!

Single builder/point of contact for the whole thing would be my auto response. It would certainly be worth spending a few bob on an arch tech to walk through the detail and produce drawings/specification - they could point you towards wise decision making and add value by way of ideas.

Going it yourself (unless conversant with the bulk of what needs doing and the sequencing of same) strikes me as folly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cheers for the replies folks. Just wondering if anyone on here has used XXXXXXXXX recently? We have been quoted a very good price for the kitchen we want from them but the price is so good Im a little sceptical.

I googled them and there in Liquidation apparently. Not sure if this is a reason to run away or not? Obviously wouldnt hand over money until the job is complete but we are expected to pay a 300e deposit up front.

Anyone with recent dealings PM me good or bad please? Cheers

Advertisement