Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer science

Options
  • 10-08-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

which is better computer science or computer science and business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MooingDinosaur

Going into second year of plain vanilla computer science.
    It all depend on what your looking for. Computer Science and Business was set up as computer science students tend to lack real business savvy needed for start-ups.
    Computer Science students have a lot more focus on hardware and programming. We were told during the first week that the CS students will be better programmers, but the CSB students will be the bosses. This gap becomes more apparent throughout the 4 years.
    Cant really speak in depth about Computer Science and Business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dexster555

So for a better job in programming would you say CSB be better or cs..not interested in hardware

This covers the lot:

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/undergraduate/computer-science-business/

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/undergraduate/computer-science/

Have a look a the specific subjects and see which you'd prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LLMMML

If you want to be a programmer then what particular degree you do isn't the major issue. What will set you apart I'd getting some experience during the summer. I don't think anyone will look at a bunch of CVs and decide based on which variant of two similar courses you took.

Equally, the idea that people doing computers and business will be more savvy than vanilla CS students is nonsense.

I'd echo the above poster. Look at the subjects for all 4 years and decide based on what you'll enjoy doing. DO NOT try to read too much into what employers want. Minor variations in degree will not make the slightest difference to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Noble Automaton

I'm a just about to start my 4th year of the "Integrated Computer Science" course and I would have to say it's probably best to rate them based on your interests. As I haven't done the CSB course there really isn't much I can say about it.

In first year the 2 courses share maths modules and some programming modules. The other modules that CS students take are focused mainly on hardware and telecommunications.

In second year the two courses take programming techniques (Though I hear that at least one of the PT modules is being dropped this year), the programming project and Information management. The rest of the CS modules are focused on discrete maths, telecommunications and the hardware modules which are taken with 3rd year engineering.

In third year CSB seem to have the choice to take some of the modules that are mandatory for computer science (I think CSB's choices are Compiler Design(Excellent but challenging), Introduction to Functional Programming, Symbolic Programming, AI and Computational Maths(If you have a choice I would not recommend that you pick this module in it's current form)). The rest of the CS modules are related to hardware and a stats module that CSB take in first year.

It might have changed since they renamed the course from Business and Computing but for my year at least a very small number of the CSB students seem to pick computer science modules later in the course. Also the programming ability in CSB seems to be hit and miss. For my programming projects in 2nd year and 3rd year I found that the CS students seemed to be better programmers but having spoken to other people in my year this doesn't always seem to be the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement