Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I said Hello Mary Lou

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Women across all party allegiances and none had a respect for Mary Lou, as a strong performer and female political representative. She probably had the broadest support base of all SF TDs. I say had as she has done a huge amount to damage her credibility and leak support over the last week. The moves she makes over the next few weeks will be crucial for her political career.

I certainly wouldn't like to be advising her. Continue to support a damaged leader with some very unsavoury allegations likely to emerge, or be the one to wield the knife when a lot of SF members view her as a carpetbagger having no blood under her nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

How do you know its 'a lot'? I haven't met too many who think like that myself.
    MouseTail wrote: »
    when a lot of SF members view her as a carpetbagger having no blood under her nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

maccored wrote: »
    How do you know its 'a lot'? I haven't met too many who think like that myself.

In fairness, I support SF and I thought it myself and I know others who still think it.

On the surface she just doesnt seem like the typical SFer- shes an intelligent woman, shes well educated and comes from a hard working family. To me it seemed she joined SF because she wouldnt have any competition, whereas if she joined FF/FG there would be any amount of women like her there. I thought it was just a cheap political move.

But then I heard her talking one time and she talked about her family and it was clear then (for me anyway) that she does come from a very strong IRA/SF family and I was a lot more happy to support her. (but I still know others who think shes 'too posh' and doesnt come from a working class family, where was she during the troubles in the north, she used to be a FFer etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Have to say Ive never come across anyone with that kind of view.
    gunny558 wrote: »
    In fairness, I support SF and I thought it myself and I know others who still think it.

On the surface she just doesnt seem like the typical SFer- shes an intelligent woman, shes well educated and comes from a hard working family. To me it seemed she joined SF because she wouldnt have any competition, whereas if she joined FF/FG there would be any amount of women like her there. I thought it was just a cheap political move.

But then I heard her talking one time and she talked about her family and it was clear then (for me anyway) that she does come from a very strong IRA/SF family and I was a lot more happy to support her. (but I still know others who think shes 'too posh' and doesnt come from a working class family, where was she during the troubles in the north, she used to be a FFer etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

alastair wrote: »
    Eh, there are already 32 Republics in the Commonwealth. Not sure why Ireland would lose it's status as a republic by joining that club.

I was basing that on the fact that the two English speaking, mainly caucasian and Christian members (excluding Britain itself) are monarchies; and the continual lamenting of the manner of our independence by the "embarrassingly effusive" (when meeting British royalty)
    John Bruton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If you're an SF supporter, I'm Prince Phillip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Nodin wrote: »
    If you're an SF supporter, I'm Prince Phillip.

Well, unfortunately its the truth. But Im insulted that you seem to have interepted my post as bad thing.

But regardless. If you look at the leaders of all the main parties in Ireland. Gerry Adams is the odd one out that never went to college. He left school to work in a bar. And most of the SF cllrs that I know didnt go to college either. Thats not to say they are idiots.... its just schooling wasnt for them.

Again, a lot of SFers dont come from perfect families. Now this could break into an almighty row, but lets be frank here, a lot of us grew up with fathers either in jail or on the run. And if you are a generation older and Gerry Adams age and growing up in the North in the thick off it.

But again, coming from a broken family, or not having a college education is not a character flaw.

If you look at the typical FF or FG candidate, most likely they will come from a well to do or well meaning family who werent living on the fringe of society. There was probably food on the table every week and most likely they are college educated. Thats the point I was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, unfortunately its the truth. But Im insulted that you seem to have interepted my post as bad thing.

But regardless. If you look at the leaders of all the main parties in Ireland. Gerry Adams is the odd one out that never went to college. He left school to work in a bar. And most of the SF cllrs that I know didnt go to college either. Thats not to say they are idiots.... its just schooling wasnt for them.

Again, a lot of SFers dont come from perfect families. Now this could break into an almighty row, but lets be frank here, a lot of us grew up with fathers either in jail or on the run. And if you are a generation older and Gerry Adams age and growing up in the North in the thick off it.

But again, coming from a broken family, or not having a college education is not a character flaw.

If you look at the typical FF or FG candidate, most likely they will come from a well to do or well meaning family who werent living on the fringe of society. There was probably food on the table every week and most likely they are college educated. Thats the point I was making.

I'll just add - for the record - that I don't believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

DuMorph wrote: »
    I was basing that on the fact that the two English speaking, mainly caucasian and Christian members (excluding Britain itself) are monarchies; and the continual lamenting of the manner of our independence by the "embarrassingly effusive" (when meeting British royalty)
    John Bruton.

So, just a product of your vivid imagination then, and at odds with the facts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Nodin wrote: »
    I'll just add - for the record - that I don't believe you.

A split... among nationalists!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

A split... among nationalists!? :eek:

don't worry, a few kneecappings usually sorts out a slip.

It is only the left-wing parties who split when they get somewhere.

Advertisement