Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Howard Stern listeners out there?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heym

Folks when is Stern actually on the air? When do the broadcast honour live in the states?
    I find the whole H100 thing confusing. Can you listen live for free? Or where can you subscribe to podcast? Is it available free anywhere (bar some of the big interviews on YouTube)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭davkel

Artie was the first person to visit robin in hospital so there's stilla relationship there, it would be great to get him back, he's served his time so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Heym wrote: »
    Folks when is Stern actually on the air? When do the broadcast honour live in the states?
    I find the whole H100 thing confusing. Can you listen live for free? Or where can you subscribe to podcast? Is it available free anywhere (bar some of the big interviews on YouTube)
    Thanks
    He is on 6am - 11am in NY on Mon, Tues & Wed usually its changed to 2 days a week when he is off doing America's Got Talent. Cant subscribe outside the US but if you follow @SternGeek on Twitter he uploads each show in full on mp3 a few hours after it airs in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heym

DK224 wrote: »
    He is on 6am - 11am in NY on Mon, Tues & Wed usually its changed to 2 days a week when he is off doing America's Got Talent. Cant subscribe outside the US but if you follow @SternGeek on Twitter he uploads each show in full on mp3 a few hours after it airs in the US

Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Artie Lange has released his second book Crash and Burn this month chronicling his heroin addiction and suicide attempt in January 2010. He spoke on an LA morning tv show last week and said that Howard through baba booey turned down his agent's request for an interview. Artie says they're still good friends but admitted they don't talk as much anymore.

I think this is a clear sign that we'll never see Artie and Howard in a radio studio again. I was hoping that they might make a move on taking Art back next year as his deal with direct tv runs out in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Artie Lange has released his second book Crash and Burn this month chronicling his heroin addiction and suicide attempt in January 2010. He spoke on an LA morning tv show last week and said that Howard through baba booey turned down his agent's request for an interview. Artie says they're still good friends but admitted they don't talk as much anymore.

I think this is a clear sign that we'll never see Artie and Howard in a radio studio again. I was hoping that they might make a move on taking Art back next year as his deal with direct tv runs out in 2014.

That's sad to hear. Can't believe they wouldn't have him on for an interview. I always thought he'd return to the show to work at some stage, even on a semi-regular/cameo sort of basis like George Takei.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

I've been watching youclips of Howard Stern for a couple of months now. Pure gold, especially the early days with Artie and KC. I don't think Robin contributes anything really except her annoying laugh and surprised she has survived on the show this length of time. It would have been great if an Irish station picked up their show, it would have change to the muck we've had to endure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Filibuster wrote: »
    It would have been great if an Irish station picked up their show, it would have change to the muck we've had to endure.

When Today FM (nearly positive) were launching, the plan was to have the show over the lunchtime period but it fell through.

I was at a press screening of his movie & they had a live interview session with him (which went out on air in the US as it was in the middle of his show & one thing Howard loves talking about is Howard). He mentioned that he was in advanced talks with "The new station".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

rip eric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There was a time when I loved Howard Stern. I moved to the states and actually got Sirius XM. I always put Stern over anyone else but he's gone downhill fast. I was listening to Opie and Anthony more often than not but at times they can get very repetitive...

Now he's barely on too...he takes so many days off. I got rid of Sirius XM. The music was great but meh

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

They really need someone else in the studio, I always find myself going back to the old Jackie clips on Youtube really funny stuff. I used to listen to the show daily but gave up on it early this year.
    The conflict on the show is far too staged, Howard is constantly talking about his cats, Americas Got Talent and his celeb friends he's schmoozing with at different high brow charity events something the old Howard would have lambasted in the past.

Not to mention the morbidly obese "health expert" Robin and the now painfully unfunny Fred agreeing with every single thing Howard says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭SteM

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There was a time when I loved Howard Stern. I moved to the states and actually got Sirius XM. I always put Stern over anyone else but he's gone downhill fast. I was listening to Opie and Anthony more often than not but at times they can get very repetitive...

Now he's barely on too...he takes so many days off. I got rid of Sirius XM. The music was great but meh

Tried the O&A show a few times a couple of years back but found it unlistenable to be honest. Jim Norton was the best thing on it.

it's annoying that Stern is off so much but I still listen when he's on and still enjoy the show, although it's changed so much over the last few years. So many interviews it doesn’t leave much time for the other show antics that I enjoy.

I read somewhere that Artie will be starting up his own podcast sometime in December. Apparently he'll have some of his DirectTV show people on it.

kupus wrote: »
    rip eric

That was sad news indeed, I was never a huge fan of his but I respected his feisty attitude. The clip they played of his voicemessage to Johnny Fratto was hilarious, "you know what to do Johnny." :pac:

Like Howard said he didn't wallow in self pity at the bad hand he was dealt in life he just got on with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Used to listen to him morning show in the mid and late '90s on regular radio in the states.

He was very funny at the time, and Private Parts the movie is a great laugh.

Took no heed of him once he went to Sirus.

Saw him on America's Got Talent and thought "wow he has really sold out".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Ha, I only just saw this thread now.. thought I was the only one also .)
    I get it via tunein and searched for crystalone radio , theres an annoying intro when you grab the feed but it relays the last show broadcast so its up to date.
    I like it also esp the bababooey pranks & his interviews with "celebs" from all sorts,you just dont know who to expect or what they will do in the studio.. He did a great interview with joe Walsh last yr and its hilarious when he has Richard Simmonds in studio, pure madness.

Wrapupshow, awful, kind of hangers on sort of autopsy show with no worthy content.. each to their own, I dont think that humour translates well in europe perhaps.. anyway, it beats rte r1 at 5pm ---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The Stern show is hilarious, was considering subscribing but new full shows are always uploaded on YouTube. Between him, Joe Rogan, Marc Maron and football podcasts I'm well stacked with quality listening material. I'm not that old but I remember waiting on a weekend for RTE to come on the tv and there was bollocks all on the radio. I love the internet so much! :)

889-what-a-time-to-be-alive.jpg

SteM wrote: »
    Tried the O&A show a few times a couple of years back but found it unlistenable to be honest. Jim Norton was the best thing on it.

it's annoying that Stern is off so much but I still listen when he's on and still enjoy the show, although it's changed so much over the last few years. So many interviews it doesn’t leave much time for the other show antics that I enjoy.

Stern has become a bit of a shill. He's on Americas Got Talent over here. Is always talking about his wife and their cats. His interviews have gotten a lot more tame than they were even just 5 years ago.

Jim Norton is the best thing on radio over here. I don't like his standup comedy at all but on the radio, in real time he is the quickest witted person I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Jim Norton is the best thing on radio over here. I don't like his standup comedy at all but on the radio, in real time he is the quickest witted person I've ever heard.

It's good to see he got some work after his role as Bishop Brennan.

I know it was a joke but your man that played Bishop Brennan has been in a few big American movies! Some man for one man!

• Advertisement

Stern has become a bit of a shill. He's on Americas Got Talent over here. Is always talking about his wife and their cats. His interviews have gotten a lot more tame than they were even just 5 years ago.

I don't really know what you mean about a shill. I've only listened since he arrived on Sirius (and his old tapes replays obviously) and he's always spoken about what's going on in his life. He's in his 60's and stupidly rich now so his life is his wife and his cats and his AGT work.

I've found a lot of his recent interviews enjoyable enough but I just have no interest in people like Jennifer Hudson so I kind of tune out during some of them. He's still 100% better than anything I've found on Irish radio in the morning which is full of unfunny teams and a ton of ads.

I have to admit that I gave Opie and Jimmy a listen last week when Stern was off and now that Anthony has gone from the show and Jimmy is more prominent I enjoyed the show much more.

I don't really know what you mean about a shill. I've only listened since he arrived on Sirius (and his old tapes replays obviously) and he's always spoken about what's going on in his life. He's in his 60's and stupidly rich now so his life is his wife and his cats and his AGT work.

I've found a lot of his recent interviews enjoyable enough but I just have no interest in people like Jennifer Hudson so I kind of tune out during some of them. He's still 100% better than anything I've found on Irish radio in the morning which is full of unfunny teams and a ton of ads.

I have to admit that I gave Opie and Jimmy a listen last week when Stern was off and now that Anthony has gone from the show and Jimmy is more prominent I enjoyed the show much more.

He's a shill because now he gets the likes of Whitney Cummings on the show and licks her arse for the entire interview. Ditto those other tits that are on AGT with him. He use to be a guy who wouldn't accept dishonest answers and self promotion. Since Artie Lange left the show, Howard has changed.

If you listen to what's going on in the Sirius XM. He apparently has brought in a consultant to help out because his ratings have dropped off. Apparently, he's also the only guy who knows what his ratings are. They don't tell the other shows. His birthday show was awful. The last time I listened to a proper show of his on my radio, he was doing some IQ tests for everybody on the show....who gives a crap! Some of his interviews are still great...but most are just terrible. His interview with Bryan Cranston was suprisingly boring, but his interview with Paul McCartney a while ago was great. I think he's just phoning it in most of the time now, which is sad.

He is still much better than anything on Irish radio but then look at Irish Radio. You have iRadio which rips off bits from American teristerial radio, which by all accounts has fallen off here....it's mocked for how crappy it has become since ClearChannel bought almost every station in the country. And then those eejits go stealing bits from radio stations that are roundly mocked...

Niall Boylans show is entertaining but it's so cringe worthy. He lets the same callers on every night so it got stale very quickly. He needs to freshen things up a bit and stop relying on the dumbest people in Ireland to provide him his fodder.

TodayFM is so tired and played out. I'm not sure what Ray Darcys key demographic is now but I'd guess it's middle aged women. Which is a shame because he was pretty great when his relationship was in tatters and he was angry :)

The Strawberry Alarm Clock...ewwwwwwwwwwww

Ireland could do with a great radio station but if it ever had it, it would last a week before complaints would shut it down. Though, I don't know how Boylan gets away with the cursing and content he has on the show. Even that late at night, you'd think it would be too much

Well, if that's the definition of a shill for you then I guess he is.

WRT, to 'ratings' I doubt he gives a crap. He's been paid his money and his contract is up in 15 months time. Can't see him bothering to renew at that point so I can't see why he's bothered about 'ratings' (if there is such a thing on satellite radio). Anyway, you seem to know much more about what is going on behind the scenes there than others so that's fair enough.

My feeling is that he knows that's he's leaving at the end of this contract so he's doing as many interviews as possible - one last 'blowout' while he can. Pity you're not listening anymore - today's interview with Bill Murray was great.

Well, if that's the definition of a shill for you then I guess he is.

WRT, to 'ratings' I doubt he gives a crap. He's been paid his money and his contract is up in 15 months time. Can't see him bothering to renew at that point so I can't see why he's bothered about 'ratings' (if there is such a thing on satellite radio). Anyway, you seem to know much more about what is going on behind the scenes there than others so that's fair enough.

My feeling is that he knows that's he's leaving at the end of this contract so he's doing as many interviews as possible - one last 'blowout' while he can. Pity you're not listening anymore - today's interview with Bill Murray was great.

I'd agree that he knows he's leaving but he's nothing without his radio audience. The fans he'' get from AGT won't turn into long term fans. I only know what some of the other DJ's on the other channels have said and some of the guys who got canned have said. He is being told he should appeal to a broader audience and try to get into the family demographic, thus the AGT.

My guess is that he'll setup his own radio show, similar to what Anthony from O&A has done. And charge a subscription whilst pursuing television.

Bill Murray is a bad interview. He seems to rarely be honest but then that's also part of his appeal. There's a mystery to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Agreed.

This was the year I started to drift away from it a bit, I know he has always evolved but I never thought he would get to the stage where he spends an hour at the start of a show talking about his pet cats.

His deal is up next Autumn I think, so I guess we'll see what happens then. Maybe its time for him to call it a day.

Stern is signing on for another 5 years at Sirius.

Stern is signing on for another 5 years at Sirius.

He apologized to Adam Sandler for trashing his movies....

Howard has become such a hack. I know people grow and I could imagine, the unbelievable fortune he has made has put him way out of touch with his average listeners but it's pretty amazing that he's actually becoming everything he mocked years ago.

Opie and Jim Norton are in the toilet now too. After Anthony left and the other two re-signed with Sirius. They brought in some new guys for producing and it's just awful, awful hack radio. It was getting bad shortly after I subscribed...it went from really, really funny to Anthony shouting about racial crappy every day. It's so sad. Like I said, I don't like Jim's standup but he's the funniest person that has has ever been on radio, in my opinion. So quick witted, an interesting person, he adds to interviews...he's the best but now he's being wasted.

I'm really happy, I'm not a subscriber any more.

HaHa, completely missed this!! Jimmy mentioned him on the show because he was in a some play on Broadway. Talked about, could you imagine if somebody actually mistook the actor for him and started asking up his obsession with transvestites.

He apologized to Adam Sandler for trashing his movies....

Howard has become such a hack. I know people grow and I could imagine, the unbelievable fortune he has made has put him way out of touch with his average listeners but it's pretty amazing that he's actually becoming everything he mocked years ago.

Opie and Jim Norton are in the toilet now too. After Anthony left and the other two re-signed with Sirius. They brought in some new guys for producing and it's just awful, awful hack radio. It was getting bad shortly after I subscribed...it went from really, really funny to Anthony shouting about racial crappy every day. It's so sad. Like I said, I don't like Jim's standup but he's the funniest person that has has ever been on radio, in my opinion. So quick witted, an interesting person, he adds to interviews...he's the best but now he's being wasted.

I'm really happy, I'm not a subscriber any more.

Artie Lange has been hinting at having talks with Sirius on his podcast recently. I know this would probably never happen with him being ex Stern but I think he'd be a great replacement for Anthony, he's absolutely killed anytime he's been on as a guest, especially with Jimmy who he has great chemistry with. Their Liam Neeson spoof on his most recent appearance had me literally in tears

• Advertisement

Artie Lange has been hinting at having talks with Sirius on his podcast recently. I know this would probably never happen with him being ex Stern but I think he'd be a great replacement for Anthony, he's absolutely killed anytime he's been on as a guest, especially with Jimmy who he has great chemistry with. Their Liam Neeson spoof on his most recent appearance had me literally in tears

They have a really good guy come in and guest from time to time named Dan Soder. I think he would be good BUT it seems that Opie doesn't like his friend or some BS, so that doesn't look likely. Artie was great on Howard and I liked him when he appeared on the show...even if he doesn't take the third mic spot, they are in desperate need of replacing the current frequent guests e.g. Rich Vos, Sherrod Small...

Only heard today that both Crackhead Bob and Riley Martin have passed away in the last month. Sad news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Anyone circumvent Sirius payment system?

(For mods, not with respect to illegal streaming, simply with respect to US banking cards required for subs)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭PC Lackey

Only heard today that both Crackhead Bob and Riley Martin have passed away in the last month. Sad news.

Returned to the beavian mothership.

oh-kwa ten-jin-wan.

Howard has gone to total crap these days, he's lost all of his edge. The only thing i listen to these days is the Artie and Anthony show. Artie Lange, what a fcking funny guy. Cumia also is excellent, and always has been.

Howard has gone to total crap these days, he's lost all of his edge. The only thing i listen to these days is the Artie and Anthony show. Artie Lange, what a fcking funny guy. Cumia also is excellent, and always has been.

Is Cumia still race baiting? When I subscribed to his show it's all he did. I bailed on it after 3 months. For such a rich successful guy who hasn't had to work a hard day in 20+ years, he sure is angry!

Is Cumia still race baiting? When I subscribed to his show it's all he did. I bailed on it after 3 months. For such a rich successful guy who hasn't had to work a hard day in 20+ years, he sure is angry!
    Nah they don't really get political, just keep things light and humorous. It's sort of simliar to the old opie an ant show but with Artie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Gerard_David

I find with a lot of these 'shock jocks' is that they become quite conservative as they get older. Stern has lost his edge.

Advertisement