Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CM Punk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

What makes FSM a safe place, compared to anywhere else? I'm guessing that some of the magazines in the U.S possibly have working arrangements with the WWE. Fair play to FSM anyway.

How many US magazines are left?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

To be expected these days but still gas:

CDeGuRVWYAA8GFW.jpg

So what is the breakdown of the money from the autographs at these things, is it all for Punk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

$50 for a scribble? Bloody hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Any inkling as to who he might fight yet and when?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gimmick wrote: »

Its crazy, but I guess if he's charging it, he knows it's what people will pay :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gimmick wrote: »

It's ridiculous alright. That kind of money I'd expect people selling the autograph as memorabilia for a profit. I do remember hearing of cons where Austin/Goldberg would be $100 or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's ridiculous alright. That kind of money I'd expect people selling the autograph as memorabilia for a profit. I do remember hearing of cons where Austin/Goldberg would be $100 or more.

WWE regularly charge over €100 for the VIP signings of the upper card guys at events like Axxess etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd pay $50 dollars to see Ryback get an autograph off him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I guess the 'CM' was a tribute to Charles Montgomery Burns after all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I guess the 'CM' was a tribute to Charles Montgomery Burns after all.

Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

I would probably pay more just to chat to Austin or Taker.
    Cm punk I can take or leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Ara Punk is a cranky old bollocks anyway.

You wouldn't know what form he'd be in on the day you'd meet him. Be nearly half afraid to approach him if you met him on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

D-FENS wrote: »
    Any inkling as to who he might fight yet and when?

Nothing yet. He's supposed to meet with Dana in June or July. I can't see him ever steeping into the Cage. Especially now that he's got Drax gig with Marvel comics.

He's writing a Drax comic?

Lithium93_ wrote: »

ROFL. He looks like one of those scrawny office workers who got a truck load of crappy tattoos and bought UFC apparel just so he can take some photos of himself trying to look like a badass for his social media profiles.

rovert wrote: »

LOL. Which Flintstones movie is this?

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

In other words. The other writer will do all the work while Punk gets all the credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    In other words. The other writer will do all the work while Punk gets all the credit.

so just like every Bray Wyatt match then.

so just like every Bray Wyatt match then.

LOL. If Punk is still training full time to fight in the UFC I imagine that co writer will be doing the bulk of the writing. Punk might help develop the overall plots but the co writer will be left to write everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

It's a win-win scenario. Punk's name increases circulation, the writer gets published to a greater degree.

It's what's best for business.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Well, fair play to him for getting in on it all the same. He's keeping his name out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭brassringclub

Punk is out of retirement to take a spear and an elbow from Frank Turner

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Punk is out of retirement to take a spear and an elbow from Frank Turner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

love how they're doing it in a boxing ring, and Punk doing a "2012 Lesnar" and not doing a single wrestling move.

• Advertisement

I'm sure that will really have a negative impact on the career of Frank Turner going forward. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

$95 for CM Punk's Official Reebok Jersey but it doesn't say CM Punk:

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/615899882352607232

Part the generic uniforms UFC fighters will have to wear from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Wonder will Punk moan and b*tch about the UFC's dress code seeing as he had a hissy fit over WWE's a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

No, no he won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm surprised he's not doing the Rock's schtick of gradually transitioning names - first calling himself CM Punk, then Phil "CM Punk" Brooks, then Phil Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

LeeJM wrote: »
    Wonder will Punk moan and b*tch about the UFC's dress code seeing as he had a hissy fit over WWE's a couple of years ago.

If he's one of the individual Reebok sponsored fighters he won't. I imagine he will be. Its a nice $5 shirt tbf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Lads it was a joke based off the fact that Punk is a renowned whiner and could have an arguement in an empty room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

when we go to the football games, nobody is pulling us out and taking pictures of us, why aren't they doing that?

Well Mr. Diaz, because compared to NFL the UFC is literally nothing. There are NFL player who make more in a year than the entire income of the UFC organisation.
    Now that might not be fair and it might be backward, but people like Jay Cutter are on 125million dollar contracts, plus spinserships. The UFC isn't anywhere near that level. In the real world nobody gives a damn who you are.

Eat your humble pie, take your PR opportunities whenever NFL, NBA or MLS players bother to show up at your fights and make hay while the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Nate Diaz has ensured additional $ for Punk's debut fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone think Punk will never set foot inside a UFC cage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

jasus Diaz must of had a few to many knocks to the head by the sounds of him

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Punk has just moved to Milwaukee to be closer to one of his trainers.I think he will fight but it might be next year. That Diaz video is quite old also. Think he now trains with one of his many initial detractors so he is earning some respect among the fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Tssk wrote: »
    Punk has just moved to Milwaukee to be closer to one of his trainers.I think he will fight but it might be next year. That Diaz video is quite old also. Think he now trains with one of his many initial detractors so he is earning some respect among the fighters.

That would be a shame, when they announced he joined did they say he would fight towards the end of 2015?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are NFL player who make more in a year than the entire income of the UFC organisation.
    No there aren't.

NFL players make more than fighter of course, but claiming they make more than the entire UFC is absurd.
    Now that might not be fair and it might be backward, but people like Jay Cutter are on 125million dollar contracts, plus spinserships. The UFC isn't anywhere near that level.

That was his total salary over his whole 7 years contract. His annual salary is $18 million.

The UFC does about $500million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Mellor wrote: »
    No there aren't.

NFL players make more than fighter of course, but claiming they make more than the entire UFC is absurd.

That was his total salary over his whole 7 years contract. His annual salary is $18 million.

The UFC does about $500million.

By the "organisation" I meant fighters. Cutler makes 18million before sponserships and bonuses and even if he never plays another game he is gaurenteed 57million of that 126million.

The top 10 earning fighters in the UFC only made a little over 1/3rd of that between them.

The point of the post was that in reality people like Mr. Diaz should be thankful that NBA or NFL players even waste their time letting him take a picture with them which will then be plastered all over the internet and sports media, raising his profile and giving him exposure. They are several levels above his paygrade,

The smallest stadium in the NFL seats 52,000 people with an average regular season tv audience of 17million people. The Super Bowel this year had the highest TV viewership of all time in the US with 120million people watching left shark do his thang and Tom Brady being Tom Brady again.

Pissing and moaning because the players on the biggest show in world sport aren't making a fuss over you when go their games is childish nonsense.

The UFC has a gross income of just under 500million, of which it kept little over half between paying off their debt, the cut of PPV due to tv stations and paying for venues/event staff/etc.

The NLF is oncourse to have a conbimed income of over 10billion dollars this year and is projected to reach 20 within 10 years.

The UFC is never, ever, ever going to be on that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

By the "organisation" I meant fighters. Cutler makes 18million before sponserships and bonuses and even if he never plays another game he is gaurenteed 57million of that 126million.
    If you meant fighters, thats a different story but organisation means something different.
    Regardless he still doesn't make more than all fighters combined.
    The top 10 earning fighters in the UFC only made a little over 1/3rd of that between them.
    No they didn't. The top earning fighters earn PPV bonus, which dwarf their salary. GSP made 12 million in 2013 (his last two fights)

No single fighter makes as much as Cutler, and they won't anytime soon, but it's simply not true that he makes more than the entire roster. Even before you add up salaries, the "of the night" bonus are worth about $9 million a year alone (45 shows x 200k per show).
    The point of the post was that in reality people like Mr. Diaz should be thankful that NBA or NFL players even waste their time letting him take a picture with them which will then be plastered all over the internet and sports media, raising his profile and giving him exposure. They are several levels above his paygrade,
    Yup, I don't disagree with you point. The NFL dwarfs the UFC.
    I was just pointing out the massive exaggeration regarding the top players earning more the the entire roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

A CM Punk training video was released:

He is also taking part in the UFC Ulti-Man 5K race this Saturday:
    https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/617383521498304512/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Making friends before Conor's fight

https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/618972487607521280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I know the guy in the middle. He has another pic on facebook with the biggest smile a man has ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Seen that on snapchat this morning! I know the 4 of them! Can tell you one of them posts here a bit too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement