Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave Fanning

• 21-07-2013 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

It is embarrassing that 2fm have this oap on presenting coverage of the longitude festival.He has said himself in newspaper interviews that he has no interest in doing music shows anymore, Yet rte bosses still think he is down with the kids.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Albert X wrote: »
    It is embarrassing that 2fm have this oap on presenting coverage of the longitude festival.He has said himself in newspaper interviews that he has no interest in doing music shows anymore, Yet rte bosses still think he is down with the kids.

Apparently Fanning went to university with the former government minister Dermot Ahern, and he's no spring chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭mistermano

fire his ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Best dj on 2fm by far:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

he still has quite a knowledge of music and the music industry/ scene so its not exactly a ridiculous choice, but hey if the man himself says he has no interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 marconi2.0

Albert X wrote: »

Your sir are a moron, have a bit of respect Dave knows a heck of a lot more than you about music, stupid keyboard warrior anorak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He would be the first for the chop if I was in charge at 2fm

marconi2.0 wrote: »
    Your sir are a moron, have a bit of respect Dave knows a heck of a lot more than you about music, stupid keyboard warrior anorak

Motormouth Dave is getting a bit tiring now. He was getting a bit tiring 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He's a mate of U2 didn't you know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 caira

The Funny thing is, he was moved on to RTE Radio 1 a few years ago but some insane person decided to move him back to 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Love love his programme on a Saturday morning. It's a lively and interesting show and he always seems to discuss things that I find interesting. I also particularly like that he shares his opinion on things, be it music, film or whatever and is not afraid to say he doesn't like something. A refreshing change from most of the rubbish presenters on the station.

As someone else said, best DJ on the station bar none!!

• Advertisement

I used to listen to his 2FM show before it was moved to Radio 1, and I enjoyed it initially. Then I noticed that the same topics would come up regularly every few months, such as best intros, tribute bands with funny names, best stadium rock bands (cue his name dropping of Bono and the lads) etc. etc. and then I noticed Dave would come out with the same spiel over and over again, such as "Gimme Shelter is the best intro ever!!", and then he'd throw in an anecdote about Mick and the boys when he met them on some tour way back when.
    Then his show moved to Radio 1, and it was the same old same old rehashing of topics which had already been done to death by him in the past. Then he used to do the same thing when he was filling in for Gerry Ryan's show, and then latterly, Tubridy's show, and then I realised - the guy is a one-trick pony with about ten stories and topics in his head that he will rehash again and again and again ad nauseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

Is his evening show always pre-recorded ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

NIMAN wrote: »
    He's a mate of U2 didn't you know!

Sure didnt DF introduce us all to U2....................oh sorry that was Pat James....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Sure didnt DF introduce us all to U2

reason enough to fire him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

reason enough to fire him..

Yeah..but back in the day we all liked them.....:P

As for Fanning..... i never did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why does Fanning have to waste the first few minutes of his Saturday morning show running through the papers, like any two-bit DJ/presenter struggling to fill his slot? You have Eamon Dunphy in this morning for God's sake, give him an extra five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Fannings show a shambles again.. did u just hear that.. CAN U READ THE ****ING PAGE PLEASE! ha, obviously recording the sports news but don't know theyre live.. this is goin on about 10 mins now. How the ****..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Happening again now - not even RTÉ themselves listen to 2FM it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

I don't get it.. Every evening it seems they stick on a fanning tape at 8 and everyone goes on a 2 hour break.. there could be adds playing over 2 songs at a time. At least it must be a serious enough problem this time if its happening on the Alternative aswell. That's usually ok. Even though Dan is out this week so its all prob pre recorded aswell. 5 hour break for the lads in 2fm this week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Not too much love for poor Dave here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

I can't understand why he is allowed voicetrack his evening show. what's worse is, it crashes a lot. is he still on 100k ? maybe not, tv work seems to have dried up for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

His last weekday show airs tonight 8-10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,303 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just announced he will now be on Sunday mornings 10 till 12.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Dave Fanning...what a "cool dude" especially in his own head.

Far too cool to go to the Garth Brooks concerts...will be "washing his hair those nights" according to Mr.Super Cool.

Good man Dave ...must be in the late fifties now..but still wears the black Armani tee so beloved of those who are trying to prove that they are not "past it".

News for this goon...act your age pal...quit trying to flog a beaten docket.

And RTE ! Pension off these goons Fanning/Gogan/Whelan if you wish to retain any vestige of credibility.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A lot of anger there Mr Plumb. What has the fashion choices of Mr Fanning got to do with his abilities as a radio presenter? Perhaps he is wearing a black armani t-shirt to mask the build up of sweat resulting from the searing expectation of demanding listeners such as yourself?

Aidric wrote: »
    A lot of anger there Mr Plumb. What has the fashion choices of Mr Fanning got to do with his abilities as a radio presenter? Perhaps he is wearing a black armani t-shirt to mask the build up of sweat resulting from the searing expectation of demanding listeners such as yourself?

No anger at all my friend ! The Plumb just tells it as it is - Fanning dissed about 400k people when he arrogantly dismissed the Garth Brooks concerts.

Have a thing about 50 somethings pretending to be twenty somethings..it is not a good place to be in.

And yes I do have high standards in my Radio listening...make no apologies for that.

And yes i admit it...anybody over thirty with the black tee look ..really boils my urine ...can't help it !

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    No anger at all my friend ! The Plumb just tells it as it is - Fanning dissed about 400k people when he arrogantly dismissed the Garth Brooks concerts.

Have a thing about 50 somethings pretending to be twenty somethings..it is not a good place to be in.

And yes I do have high standards in my Radio listening...make no apologies for that.

And yes i admit it...anybody over thirty with the black tee look ..really boils my urine ...can't help it !

Would agree with your contention about aul blokes chasing their youth. In Fanning's defence, however, he has always been prone to to black look. Also a fan of leather jackets as I recall.

It would be remiss to suggest he has just recently took up the wearing of black t-shirts.

Would agree with your contention about aul blokes chasing their youth. In Fanning's defence, however, he has always been prone to to black look. Also a fan of leather jackets as I recall.

It would be remiss to suggest he has just recently took up the wearing of black t-shirts.

"In Fanning's defence, however, he has always been prone to to black look."!

No great defence there my friend !

A lot of people have been prone to the black look in their twenties....it's when they carry it on to their thirties , forties and FIFTIES that it becomes nauseous.

Again he may well be a fan of leather jackets..but black leather kick ass jackets on a fifty something is ... well ... pathetic.

I really resent these grand pa's keeping young progressive talent from the national airwaves.

I'm afraid AJ that's wishful thinking out in Montrose.

Unfortunately the younger set coming up seem to be all D4 Dort accent types.

I cite the new Wash.corr. Perry as an example and a female who does reports on Drivetime sounds like she is reading from a 6 th year essay book, sing-song delivery and rather disjointed sentences.

Her name escapes me right now.

• Advertisement

why does it matter what he wears?

dave fanning played a song I liked once

about 20 years ago!

has that happened to anybody else?

I'm afraid AJ that's wishful thinking out in Montrose.

Unfortunately the younger set coming up seem to be all D4 Dort accent types.

I cite the new Wash.corr. Perry as an example and a female who does reports on Drivetime sounds like she is reading from a 6 th year essay book, sing-song delivery and rather disjointed sentences.

Her name escapes me right now.

Catriona Perry.

I think Dave is coming in for too much criticism here. He is very knowledgeable about the music scene, and not in a hipster hot press sort of way, and after all isn't 2FM a music station?

What t-shirt he chooses to wear is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Particularly on the radio...

Catriona Perry.

I think Dave is coming in for too much criticism here. He is very knowledgeable about the music scene, and not in a hipster hot press sort of way, and after all isn't 2FM a music station?

That's the Wash corr. Della Kilroy is the lass I couldn't put a handle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I remember him presenting an hour show lauding the Chili Peppers once and he kept pronouncing Frusciante's name as Froos-kee-ant-ee. It may sound stupid but if you're going to go on television and proclaim how great a band are at least learn how to pronounce their names.

Never bothered with him again since that. I always got the vibe he was a U2 fan-boy, which I have no evidence for but I bet I'm right. That's reason number 2 not to ever bother with him :pac:

I remember him presenting an hour show lauding the Chili Peppers once and he kept pronouncing Frusciante's name as Froos-kee-ant-ee. It may sound stupid but if you're going to go on television and proclaim how great a band are at least learn how to pronounce their names.

Never bothered with him again since that. I always got the vibe he was a U2 fan-boy, which I have no evidence for but I bet I'm right. That's reason number 2 not to ever bother with him :pac:

Bitter man Dan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I will always have a soft spot for Dave Fanning.
    First started listening to him through headphones on school nights when my parents thought I was asleep.
    Now I'll listen to him during my Sunday morning lie in. I think he's a good alternative to all the serious talk.

Catriona Perry.

OK pal I'll spell it out for you...Garth Brooks is coming to Croke Park and has sold out the place for 5 concerts.

Croke Park is one of the biggest stadiums in Europe.

So Brooks must be a major star right ?

The almost elderly gentleman Fanning was asked about Brooks in a Radio interview and arrogantly said he would be "washing his hair on those nights "

Now that is dissing the 400,000 people who have coughed up to see Brooks...he is obviously not "cool" enough for super cool Mr fanning.

Then this 50 something chooses to to go for the jeans /jacket and skinny black tee look that only some under thirties can carry off.

No pal....nah....recognise a real artist who puts bums on seats and stop shovin you ****ty progressive music down our throats...

Just because you don't share the same musical taste as others, doesn't mean you're dissing them.

isn't garth brooks here for the handy money??

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Garth Brooks... cool? Hahahahaha :pac:

• Advertisement

isn't garth brooks here for the handy money??

Sure ,and Dolly, James Taylor, Ennio ,Status Quo, and loads of other has beens.

Can't figure out how Neil Diamond hasn't popped up in dispatches.

Surely time for another final ever tour.

Pack the place out so he would, what about Roy Orbison ....

Edit... Sorry poor Roy is no longer with us I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Edit... Sorry poor Roy is no longer with us I'm told.

Don't be sorry! You're forgiven.
    We'll show you some MERCY.

Heh. ;)

One of the best things I've heard on radio ever was Dave Fanning chat with Francis Brennan a couple of weeks ago. Hilarious. 1st time I've ever looked for a podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

A recent enough trend with radio presenters is having a long monologue of an introduction. George Hook does it regularly enough I think. In the very little of what I have heard of Dave Fanning in the last few weeks on RTE 1, I think just after the 09:00 news he is up to the same tricks.

I have always disliked the man. I never listen to his shows fully. I go away or change stations. But this monologue thing is an interesting development. It's almost like a grand self announcement of the ego. Plenty of ME time. Listen to ME. Whatever about Hook, I find that that old adage of good broadcasters-imagine you are talking to one particular person in the whole country-does not apply with Dave. I never feel any connection with him. I never have. He goes on a mile to the minute without any reference to people who might not be able to comprehend what the hell he is on about. Guaranteed for any interview he does, he will have spoken longer than the interviewee.

Is there any way of getting him banned for crimes against broadcasting? For just nattering on like an old biddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

bobbyss wrote: »
    A recent enough trend with radio presenters is having a long monologue of an introduction. George Hook does it regularly enough I think. In the very little of what I have heard of Dave Fanning in the last few weeks on RTE 1, I think just after the 09:00 news he is up to the same tricks.

I have always disliked the man. I never listen to his shows fully. I go away or change stations. But this monologue thing is an interesting development. It's almost like a grand self announcement of the ego. Plenty of ME time. Listen to ME. Whatever about Hook, I find that that old adage of good broadcasters-imagine you are talking to one particular person in the whole country-does not apply with Dave. I never feel any connection with him. I never have. He goes on a mile to the minute without any reference to people who might not be able to comprehend what the hell he is on about. Guaranteed for any interview he does, he will have spoken longer than the interviewee.

Is there any way of getting him banned for crimes against broadcasting? For just nattering on like an old biddy?

You can ban him from your radio by changing the dial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

You can ban him from your radio by changing the dial.

And frequently do Colin.

But I am talking about a complete ban. What about if I am in a Spar buying eggs and he is there coming over the tannoy thingy? That's a crime that he should be punished for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Fannings show has definitely been the most out of place show on 2fm the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The Fab 50 is back this year after its unexplained absence last year...first since 1979

But you can only vote for songs since 2000 !!

https://2fm.rte.ie/2016/11/11/fannings-fab-50/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

That should make it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

That should make it interesting.

That should make it shiite and will keep Dan happy that no oldies will be played

• Advertisement
Advertisement