Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Class Fanny

• 25-10-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Is it ok for comedians (and I use the word guardedly) on Joe Duffy's show to refer to Mary Lou McDonald as First Class Fanny? I have been waiting for an uproar from feminists and shinners but it appears to have flown below the radar. I am not a fan of SF at any level but I think it is really wrong to refer to any woman as First Class Fanny.

From about 26 and a half minutes on here.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10335394%3A0%3A%3A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

donalh087 wrote: »
    Is it ok for comedians (and I use the word guardedly) on Joe Duffy's show to refer to Mary Lou McDonald as First Class Fanny? I have been waiting for an uproar from feminists and shinners but it appears to have flown below the radar. I am not a fan of SF at any level but I think it is really wrong to refer to any woman as First Class Fanny.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10335394%3A0%3A%3A

A givvus a break,there have been Fanny's long before Joe Duffy....If MaryLou can't stand the heat,she would'nt be in the Leinster House kitchen.....mind you Fanny's and kitchens did'nt always get along well either.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW-2fclfRpI

The end of a very illustrious career for poor oul Fanny Craddock ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I have been waiting for an uproar

You sound disappointed.

Why would there be an "uproar"?

Uproar suggests some public expression of rage. All the Moaning Michaels of Twitter are currently preoccupied with the Gerry Adams story and Irish Water. Much too busy to stir-up any passion over a #firstclassFanny, which is a pretty innocuous term tbf. #rage #fannies #hashtag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Do people actually listen to the Joe Duffy show?
    The man of the poor and downtrodden.
    Remind me again how much license payers money he takes home each year?

BTW, how does that person know about MaryLou's fanny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Is that suppossed to be a humorous sketch?

It sound more like a bunch of dirty old men sniggering away in the snug.

P.S., the word fanny was used in the context of personal hygiene, so I think it is offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

DuMorph wrote: »
    Is that suppossed to be a humorous sketch?

It sound more like a bunch of dirty old men sniggering away in the snug.

P.S., the word fanny was used in the context of personal hygiene, so I think it is offensive.

Well that's it so.

Luckily there is a procedure in place to cater for your issues....

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/making_a_complaint_about_a_tv_or_radio_programme_in_ireland.html

Let's know how it goes.

Me? I'm off back to Fanny's (U)tube...dem was the daze Joxer,dem was the days ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It is very offensive and totally inappropriate.

And goodness, that sketch is just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Im having issues with my speakers so Im not able to listen to the link.

But judging from comments here- along with some assumptions on my own part -the comment was said by a guest speaker? Now having heard some of the guests and callers on that show before I wouldnt take it too seriously. That show is designed to be a place for self righteousness and to let uneducated idiots vent their outrage.

For anyone getting offended about it Id simply say dont bother. Its a complete waste of your energy. Would you care as much if some dumb flatford on Jeremy Kyle used a derogatory term for Mary Lou?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Do people actually listen to the Joe Duffy show?
    The man of the poor and downtrodden.
    Remind me again how much license payers money he takes home each year?

Ordinary Joe isn't on an ordinary salary. We pay him quiet well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well that's it so.

Luckily there is a procedure in place to cater for your issues....

Let's know how it goes.

Me? I'm off back to Fanny's (U)tube...dem was the daze Joxer,dem was the days ;)

I merely expressed an opinion. Do you have some reason to take issue with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

MouseTail wrote: »

What do you expect its liveline funny friday, the whole concept is awful. how duffy is allowed to continue to broadcast this muck is beyond me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

what about the great belgian female sprinter, fanny bankers-koen, as usual my speling is prob out a tad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Perhaps Jarry can set up one of his courts to look into a case of sexual harrassement perpetrated by joe duffy on poor ould mary lou.

Then he can banish joe to Donegal or Louth.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well, if she does take issue with the remark, she has the financial resources needed to pursue the culprits through the court system, as she comes from an extremely wealthy family and she earns a six figure salary at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Berserker wrote: »
    Well, if she does take issue with the remark, she has the financial resources needed to pursue the culprits through the court system, as she comes from an extremely wealthy family and she earns a six figure salary at the moment.
    The tort of hurt feelings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The tort of hurt feelings?

I'm quite sure that her party and it's supporters would manage to find a wrong that has been done onto her within the piece, if they put their mind to it. They have a talent for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MouseTail wrote: »
    It is very offensive and totally inappropriate.

And not at all surprising. Standards and decorum are slipping for many years now.

Advertisement