Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Taxes

Options
  • 28-04-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I read in today's newspaper that our wonderful ministers for transport and finance have decided that petrol and diesel taxes are to be raised to the levels of the UK and France in the interests of tax harmonisation. I wonder, does that mean that our VRT and VAT of cars will be reduced to those levels for the same reason?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

*crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Really, wheres the link?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ART6 wrote: »
    I read in today's newspaper that our wonderful ministers for transport and finance have decided that petrol and diesel taxes are to be raised to the levels of the UK and France in the interests of tax harmonisation. I wonder, does that mean that our VRT and VAT of cars will be reduced to those levels for the same reason?:rolleyes:

I doubt it ... can't see the other european countries dumping registration tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was under the impression that the VRT was keeping the rate of fuel tax down. If this is true then how much will diesel be in six months the way it is going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would have thought that road tax would be tied into fuel tax more closely than VAT and VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ART6 wrote: »

VAT - no chance, that's not how VAT works :cool: (VAT revenue for car sales will be minimal, relative to total VAT revenue)
    VRT - will they f*ck :rolleyes:

UK (17%) and France (19%) have comparable VAT levels to IE (17%), and have comparable fuel taxation levels between themselves. Neither FR nor UK has a "VRT".

Like in IE, there is a tax on insurance in FR and UK, although of course premiums are a pittance over there (esp. FR). Note that FR does not have a road tax at all, but plenty of tolls (on motorways only).

This measure, if it comes in, is nothing more than an exercise to still get the pound of flesh out of all those types who've rushed into buying/importing big-engined cars (never seen so many 911s around Dub all of a sudden :D) before the VRT changes in July, and thought they'd get away with big VAT/VRT/road tax bills :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Our VAT is 21% not 17%. UK's fuel taxation is far higher. My car insurance quote when I lived in the UK was higher than Ireland...

MYOB wrote: »
    Our VAT is 21% not 17%. UK's fuel taxation is far higher. My car insurance quote when I lived in the UK was higher than Ireland...

My bad on the IE VAT rate, I should have known people would get shafted even more here ;)

UK fuel taxation is higher indeed, as is FR. As I said, they are comparable between themselves. But then that's what the OP is about.

My car insurance premium when I lived in the UK was less than half (Admiral, early 2004, £355 f/comp) compared to Ireland (Hibernian, late 2004, €976 TPFT), with maxed-out NCB at the time. That was 4 years ago, going the other way around: moved from UK to IE, put the car from UK plates on IE plates.

My last car insurance premium with FR insurer for the same car still on IE plate but now residing in FR is about half (Zurich, late 2007, €185) of what I used to pay in the UK 4 years ago - so about a quarter of what premium I last paid to Hibernian (€875, 2006), still with maxed-out NCB.

That said, I've lived here long enough now to realise a UK insurer would be bonkers to insure anyone driving on an Irish driving license (hence the higher UK quote) - I wouldn't :pac: :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ambro25 wrote: »
    My bad on the IE VAT rate, I should have known people would get shafted even more here ;)

UK fuel taxation is higher indeed, as is FR. But then that's what the OP is about.

My car insurance premium when I lived in the UK was less than half (Admiral, £355 f/comp) compared to Ireland (Hibernian, €976 TPFT), with maxed-out NCB at the time. That was 4 years ago, going the other way around: moved from UK to IE, put the car from UK plates on IE plates.

My last car insurance premium with FR insurer for the same car still on IE plate but now residing in FR is about half (Zurich, €185) of what I used to pay in the UK 4 years ago - so about a quarter of what premium I last paid to Hibernian (€875, 2006), still with maxed-out NCB.

That said, I've lived here long enough now to realise a UK insurer would be bonkers to insure anyone driving on an Irish driving license (hence the higher UK quote) - I wouldn't :pac: :D

That could make for an interesting thread in its own right - I got an online quote from the UK just for the sake of it, and the very cheapest price I got was about the same as my premium here, without any of the extra benefits.

I believe it goes on -
    _ license (I've a FR one, so it's logical that I be quoted cheaper in FR and more in 'RHD' countries even though, technically, I've now driven longer in RHD than LHD)
    _ residence (quoting for resident car and/or driver vs or one of them is not, e.g. UK quote for insuring IE car in IE vs UK quote for insuring UK car in UK)
    _ remaining factors (car value, claims history, previous convictions, etc + don't forget the captain's age and today's barometer readings ;))

Whilst of course car insurance is an important factor when computing annual motoring costs, unfortunately I absolutely don't believe it can be factored in "transational comparisons", other than by arriving at a consensus that one country may be generally cheaper than another, but no more than that (i.e. impossible to turn into reliable hard numbers such as (e.g.) GVT fuel levy in % relative to barrel price, other than trhrough anecdotal evidence).

To begin with, one would have to establish that, for an exactly identical set of circumstances (which they always are when one rings around for quotes: still same age, same license, same car, same value, same history etc.), i.e. an exactly identical 'computed risk', the variation between quotes from insurers within a same country shouldn't vary more than a reasonable %age based on the company's willigness to take on the risk, so say (gee, I don't know... pull a figure out of thin air...) 25%? That sound fair enough? Gain factor between big and small insurers? At any rate, certainly not doubles and triples of one another, such as we regularly witness in this here sub-forum :mad: So, to cut a long rant/story short - forget insurance in this particular debate ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement