Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on this car on donedeal

Options
  • 28-05-2015 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an automatic and I spotted this one on donedeal, does anyone know anything specifically about the polo automatic or anything in particular I should ask. Does the price look ok?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9491588
    2008 VW Polo 1.4 Automatic 3Dr H/B NCT 01/16

Also in the picture of the interior does that look like a rip in the passenger door, I can't make out if it's just a bit of plastic or not by zooming in.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Yep, that's a car alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Over priced and not a great car to drive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

eternal wrote: »
    Over priced and not a great car to drive either.

Typical throw away comment from an ill-informed poster.

Over priced compared to what?

Find a cheaper comparable car and post the link.

Typical throw away comment from an ill-informed poster.

Over priced compared to what?

Find a cheaper comparable car and post the link.

I am informed. It's a small car that's not very new that appears to be expensive. I've the right to my opinion. Over priced compared to something better and cheaper.

I am informed. It's a small car that's not very new that appears to be expensive. I've the right to my opinion. Over priced compared to something better and cheaper.

Typical cop out post from an ill informed poster.

Small automatic cars command strong money. I'm not saying I would pay €5k for an automatic Polo (frankly I'd rather walk) but that is a cheap one as they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Car seem okay. The seller has some decent pictures of it and he has his full name mentioned on the ad.

I'd be worried about the NCT.. Last tested Feb 2014 and its up in 8 months time.. Might be worth asking him to put it through NCT before you make any deal! (Just my opinion :))

Are you really comparing a 2006 diesel Peugeot van (manual) to a 2008 petrol Volkswagen Polo car (automatic)?

You may as well have posted a link to a bicycle. A 206 van with a manual gearbox is hardly in the same category as an automatic Polo.

The whole point I was making is that small automatic cars command a premium.

Are you really comparing a 2006 diesel Peugeot van (manual) to a 2008 petrol Volkswagen Polo car (automatic)?

No. I'm comparing it to a 2004 van.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Childish to hijack this thread with those shyte examples.

OP the polo is nice and clean on the outside. Shame about the damage on the door.
    Does the steering wheel look grubby or mouldy, would this car have sat about a lot or been idle while heavily repaired ??

Anyhow.. The car seems farely decent from the ad. There's not any other 2008 Polo automatics I can find on donedeal, but out of all the 2008 Polo's (manual and automatic) it seems to be the 5th cheapest.

If you are seriously considering buying this, I'd get in contact with the seller and do your own arrangements to check out the car. Do a motorcheck report to check is all okay and bring a mechanic (if you arent as mechanically-minded) to have a check over it, if thats okay with the seller of course!

_Brian wrote: »
    Childish to hijack this thread with those shyte examples.

OP the polo is nice and clean on the outside. Shame about the damage on the door.
    Does the steering wheel look grubby or mouldy, would this car have sat about a lot or been idle while heavily repaired ??

How is the same model albeit an older one deemed to be shyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

If you haggle and get it for €4500 I would go for it by the way do you need an automatic? It does limit your choice

Just noticed that the car is for sale by a dealer (Presumably, he has 12 cars for sale). Should be okay, but I'd still do a motorcheck report. And as he is a salesman, he may be able to get it into NCT sooner (I know that I would be more comfortable buying a car with fresh NCT, rather than it not being tested in over a year)

OP, the car looks about what I would expect for the money. Decent enough but a bit rough and ready. The interior doesn't look to be in great nick and aftermarket wheel trims are never a good look. But if it checks out ok mechanically and bodywork wise then it is well priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Cheers for all the replies lads and sorry for any agro caused on the 1st page.

I agree the interior looks a little suspect and I thought there may have been mold on the steering wheel also. Never a good sign.

Good points on the NCT also. It's just such a small market, especially seeing as I don't want to get a jap import again due to the insurance hassle it causes.

Also as a poster asked Im not sure why I drive automatics. I originally had a manual and had no major issues but when I sold that and started driving my parents automatic I just preferred it a lot more. I know I will pay a premium with them but my thought is I won't be buying one every year. I'm also quite an anxious driver so the extra comfort is worth it for me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looks like it was a disabled drivers car.
    3 door for access, Autobox, tax exempt.

It is a 1 owner car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm struggling to find any small 2008 petrol auto car on carzone for €5k. It's certainly not expensive and the price is probably reflective of the condition. Average asking price for similar cars seems to be around €6500 to €7000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Worth pointing out that that jazz is actually a jdm spec Honda Fit.

Advertisement