Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think American women are butch?

• 08-12-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

I'm an American living here in Ireland, and the "Do you feel European" thread inspired me and my American roommate to discuss how "European" Dublin feels. We decided it does feel European, mostly because the men are more metrosexual. She added that everyone here is more feminine than in the States, both men and women, which led us to wonder: Do American women seem butch to the Irish? :D:pac:

Are American women butch? 52 votes

More butch than Vin Diesel.
    0% 0 votes
    About as butch as yore ma.
    23% 12 votes
    Girlier than Richard Simmons.
    28% 15 votes
    Atari jaguar.
    48% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Haven't got round to Finglas I see.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Do you mean 'butch' or 'fat'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Lirange wrote: »
    Haven't got round to Finglas I see.

Ha, we thought it might just be because we're in the city.
    Do you mean 'butch' or 'fat'?

Butch!! We imports are 100% svelte! ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

PillyPen wrote: »
    Butch!! We imports are 100% svelte! ;)
    I'm sorry, I'm at a loss to understand what you mean, then. I would think of 'butch' as burly, hirsute, muscle-bound and testosterone-expectorating. That's not my idea of svelte, either.

I'm sorry, I'm at a loss to understand what you mean, then. I would think of 'butch' as burly, hirsute, muscle-bound and testosterone-expectorating. That's not my idea of svelte, either.

Right, that's what I mean by butch. We're thinking if Irish men seem effeminate to American women, we probably come across like rugby players to them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You should go to the country and meet some farmers and see if they are metrosexual.

You can have a load of moisturising men for yourselves if you want, you'd be doing us a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Maybe Pillypen means more aggressive, tomboy-ish? Not as elegant and feminine generally speaking?

Maybe Pillypen means more aggressive, tomboy-ish? Not as elegant and feminine generally speaking?

Yeah. Is butch an American term? Never had to clarify it before.

I hope you haven't exclusively cloistered yourself among some of the unisex self-pollinating wankflowers emanating from UCD. I suggest Pighead's tour of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No butch is used here too, but it usually means manly or burly, but you seem to be using it as a default way of looking at Americans, don't think that would be how most people think of American women.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Is butch an American term? Never had to clarify it before.

It may be. I'm an American woman too, so I know what you were getting at; just trying to help clarify for those who were confused a little :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

no butch isnt just an american term but we would apply it more to for example this woman from the goonies

http://zippydogcreations.typepad.com/photos/peewees_celebrity_lookali/peewee_as_anne_ramsey1.jpg

i know what your trying to say i think. american women (or ones from the city anyway) seem to be more assertive they know what they want but are more comfortable in groups than irish girls and will just as likely be the ones making the jokes as the lads. they are way way better at taking but in particular at giving a slagging on the same level as the lads. dosnt make them butch though i dont think its something else i just cant think of a word for it.

I hope you haven't cloistered yourself among some of the unisex self-pollinating wankflowers emanating from UCD. I suggest Pighead's tour of Ireland.

Where do I sign up?
    No butch is used here too, but it usually means manly or burly, but you seem to be using it as a default way of looking at Americans, don't think that would be how most people think of American women.

Right, we were thinking if Irish men seem effeminate to us then maybe we seem manly to them. We also thought the men just seem effeminate to us because we're in Dublin proper, and they probably are more manly outside.

Maybe we should stop hanging around the gay clubs? :pac:

Maybe we should stop hanging around the gay clubs? :pac:

Or dublin in general...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Or dublin in general...

or just the south side

or trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

when i think of an american girl i think blonde skinny cheerleader and when I think american woman I think of 300 - 400 lbs 40 year old eating Mac D.. but then I don't know any americans and my images are based on what i've seen on TV

I just don't understand how you can be both 'butch' and 'svelte' (or was that a joke)?

It's a little bit odd to try and typecast an entire nation like this - I know if it was an Irish person who started the thread the PC brigade would be up in arms.

I'm sure there are fat/butch/svelte American women. There are fat/butch/svelte Irish women too. Heck, I'm sure there are even fat/butch/svelte Europeans (though, they only let the svelte one's emigrate).

Lolz Trinity, that explains it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I'm an American living here in Ireland, and the "Do you feel European" thread inspired me and my American roommate to discuss how "European" Dublin feels. We decided it does feel European, mostly because the men are more metrosexual. She added that everyone here is more feminine than in the States, both men and women, which led us to wonder: Do American women seem butch to the Irish? :D:pac:

As an Irish male living in the US I really would not say that there is really any comparison to be made; Irish guys are just well, Irish guys and Americans are just American. There are social misfits in both cultures but if you were to ask me which I think has the biggest quotient of feminine males I would probably have to say the US, seeing as I do live* in/near Chicago's "Boystown". That and the number of "Hipsters" I work with and such.

I do know some American guys who are ultra macho but even Ireland has that.

*Cheap rent and clean area, not a preference choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

American men have, in my experience, nearly always come across as louder and more macho than their Irish equivalents. But as for American women vs Irish women? Nah, they seem to be roughly at the same place on the butch-fem scale.

• Advertisement

I think Pilly meant butch more in terms of personality than in terms of weight/physical appearance.

I just don't understand how you can be both 'butch' and 'svelte' (or was that a joke)?

It's a little bit odd to try and typecast an entire nation like this - I know if it was an Irish person who started the thread the PC brigade would be up in arms.

I'm sure there are fat/butch/svelte American women. There are fat/butch/svelte Irish women too. Heck, I'm sure there are even fat/butch/svelte Europeans (though, they only let the svelte one's emigrate).

It was a joke. Honestly, I don't think anyone should be able to get pissed about anything in AH. If I meant this all seriously, I'd put it in the LL or something! I leave for two months and AH becomes some sort of serious discussion forum. :mad: Bush league, folks. Bush league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Hi Pilly

I think I know what you mean but its probably because you have encountered the powerful force of the sterotypical D4 dolly bird birgade. (You all know the sort scantily clad orange skin more then likely platnium hair stuck to their heads think they're too cool for school and act as if butter wouldn't melt - oh and all look the same behind the wheels of car Daddy bought them - lol)

From reading your posts you seem like an unconventional type of gal! Thats a compliement BTW but if its an identity crisis your on - saw your photo - you Sooo ooo don't look butch - but hey babe - if ya wanna try it ...;) :D

It was a joke. Honestly, I don't think anyone should be able to get pissed about anything in AH. If I meant this all seriously, I'd put it in the LL or something! I leave for two months and AH becomes some sort of serious discussion forum. :mad: Bush league, folks. Bush league.
    Lol.

My bad, I wasn't trying to be serious. I was really just nit-picking for my own kicks. I think they call it trolling.

/me absents himself from AH for a week or two.

Lolz Trinity, that explains it!

Nothing wrong with Trinity men! Fine, strapping, manly examples of manliness who... ah, who am I kidding. :(

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Hi Pilly

I think I know what you mean but its probably because you have encountered the powerful force of the sterotypical D4 dolly bird birgade. (You all know the sort scantily clad orange skin more then likely platnium hair stuck to their heads think they're too cool for school and act as if butter wouldn't melt - oh and all look the same behind the wheels of car Daddy bought them - lol)

From reading your posts you seem like an unconventional type of gal! Thats a compliement BTW but if its an identity crisis your on - saw your photo - you Sooo ooo don't look butch - but hey babe - if ya wanna try it ...;) :D

Lol, that's exactly the kind of woman I see every day! I'm sort of a girly girl myself, but sometimes these women (and men!) make me feel like Roseanne. Hasn't given me an identity crisis yet, I'm very comfortable with myself, but it does make me wonder if the people here think of newbie Americans like Chyna. I think I'd sort of enjoy that reputation!
    Lol.

My bad, I wasn't trying to be serious. I was really just nit-picking for my own kicks. I think they call it trolling.

/me absents himself from AH for a week or two.

Come on, now, you can't run away from AH with your tail between your legs and prove the very stereotype this thread is about! Put up a fight!

They done away with our pork and this is what happens.

Melange wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Trinity men! Fine, strapping, manly examples of manliness who... ah, who am I kidding. :(

Lolz silly trinners boymen.
    Lol, that's exactly the kind of woman I see every day! I'm sort of a girly girl myself, but sometimes these women (and men!) make me feel like Roseanne. Hasn't given me an identity crisis yet, I'm very comfortable with myself, but it does make me wonder if the people here think of newbie Americans like Chyna. I think I'd sort of enjoy that reputation!

I think the stereotype of Americans most people would have is they are loud. If it were me that would cause me to get quieter, not rise to their volume level. Maybe that's what's happening? I dunno.

Come on, now, you can't run away from AH with your tail between your legs and prove the very stereotype this thread is about! Put up a fight!
    Eh, you've seen pictures of me, right? Not exactly Paul O'Connell.

If someone was to label me, they'd probably throw me in with UCD people. I'm ok with that. I am a UCD person.

• Advertisement

Eh, you've seen pictures of me, right? Not exactly Paul O'Connell.

If someone was to label me, they'd probably throw me in with UCD people. I'm ok with that. I am a UCD person.

I'm a Trinity person. I think this means we're now mortal enemies?

Why, are you a first year?

I suggest Pighead's tour of Ireland.
    Where do I sign up?
    There's a waiting list I hear. Contact Pighead. Not to worry though once your name comes up he'll come for you straight away.

Seriously dude - get down to Galway -Perfect excuse presents itself in form of boards beers 19th of December!!

You could be celebrity Boardsie (out of all 5 that turn up) the butch Americian one!:D

I gotta ask- you don't have one of those whiny high pitched massively expressive accents though - do ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn any young american ladies I've ever dealt with have been very far from butch. Just as feminine as the european ladies. Now the older american women, that's a different story.

Why, are you a first year?

Nope, I'm a visiting student in my last year of uni. But it seems to me that every time someone mentions UCD to a Trinity student, their eyes glow red and they seek carnage. Perhaps I haven't yet learned the intricacies of the UCD/Trinity relationship. :)
    There's a waiting list I hear. Contact Pighead. Not to worry though once your name comes up he'll come for you straight away.

Will do. But he better not be one of those metrosexual Dubliners with eyebrows more perfectly groomed than my own. :p

• Advertisement

Pffft... Perhaps the two of you could get swept up in a whirlwind romance that unites the two universities. Kinda like Romeo and Juliet gone right.

Seriously dude - get down to Galway -Perfect excuse presents itself in form of boards beers 19th of December!!

You could be celebrity Boardsie (out of all 5 that turn up) the butch Americian one!:D

I gotta ask- you don't have one of those whiny high pitched massively expressive accents though - do ya?

But the other BBs are on the 20th! How long does a train ride take from Dublin to Galway? I'd definitely come! Butch American Boardsie, ftw!!

Lol, I probably do have an annoying accent. I dunno, no one's commented on it yet. (Not to my face, anyway. :D)
    Pffft... Perhaps the two of you could get swept up in a whirlwind romance that unites the two universities. Kinda like Romeo and Juliet gone right.

But Romeo and Juliet were like, 14. I think that ship has sailed. Bring on the hate! :pac:

But Romeo and Juliet were like, 14. I think that ship has sailed. Bring on the hate! :pac:

Very well.

/Reaches for rotten fruit.

Very well.

/Reaches for rotten fruit.

I think rotten fruit is one step over the line, man. I can't handle that smack. We'll go with your first idea so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Team America. World Police.

• Advertisement

Will do. But he better not be one of those metrosexual Dubliners with eyebrows more perfectly groomed than my own. :p
    He falls somewhere between Rick Astley and Shane McGowan on the spectrum. I hope that helps.

2 and a half hours on the train - oh please do I 'm thinking of going as an elf!!

Don't worry I ll tell you if you have an annoying accent :D

Might even get Brainthebard to attend now too!
    T'would be a great night - am sure of it :)
    Say you will pleeeeessssee pilly..?

Domo230 wrote: »
    Yes, UCD and Trinity students by law must be enemies.
    {Gives dirty look to all trinity students on boards}
    You kinky kids.

Mortal enemies. Immortal bedfellas! :pac:

2 and a half hours on the train - oh please do I 'm thinking of going as an elf!!

Don't worry I ll tell you if you have an annoying accent :D

Might even get Brainthebard to attend now too!
    T'would be a great night - am sure of it :)
    Say you will pleeeeessssee pilly..?

Wait, what? Is it fancy dress? If so count me out.

Perhaps, if I hadn't graduated from UC-double-D two years ago.

Edit: The UCD/Trinity thing only lasts for your first year (and maybe a bit) in college. Then, if you're in Trinity, you realise that you're in college with a load of ogres and would be better-off broadening your horizons. If you're in UCD, D, you're anyone's. Indiscriminately.

All degreed up and nobody to matriculate with. Ah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I know many American wimminz and I have to say they are far more desirable than the swampdonkeys that pass for wimminz here.

All the Yankee wimminz that I know are hot and wouldn't be seen dead in a GAA jersey and tracksuit bottoms.

You kinky kids.

Mortal enemies. Immortal bedfellas! :pac:

Having gone out with a UCDer (oh, the shame), I can fully attest to the veracity of your post. Hate sex is definitely the best kind.

Wait, what? Is it fancy dress? If so count me out.

No silly - I 'm just going to ware an elf costume .. wait Doh :confused:

- all in the name of a bit of fun really. Maybe I wont though - i'd probably feel like a twat !

You can drink til you feel better then though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement