Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is everybody so pissy about txt speek on boards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Pighead wrote: »
    It meeeannnss you're a legend in the bedrooooom and a mmmaaaster of alll thiiingss sexuuualll.

Or epileptic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

sr. kila wrote: »
    wel y r dey.
    it isnt 2 bad.
    We reserve the right to mock you
    This does not affect your right to report those posts which mock you, however they may be ignored because you will probably use text speak (yep, the word "speak" has an "A" in it) in the column used to explain why you are reporting a post.

Don't allow this to diminish your enjoyment of boards.ie though.
    Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously if you use text speak.
    Some people find it very difficult to read. And when you have unlimited character limit and a qwerty keyboard, there's really no need for it.

When I started posting on Boards I did use txt spk quite a bit, but when I realised some people get really annoyed by it I stopped doing it. It's not a big deal - just keep the txt spk for texting.
    See below.
    textspeak was a necessity to allow people to write a message without using too many characters, thereby exceeding the character limit for a text message and making your message cost extra.

This is not a problem on computers

kthxbye
    With the advent of free texts given by your provider for those on pay as you go phones and free texts available to those on bill pay options, this is no longer a problem.

Most new phones have the capability of sending texts of 918 characters in one go.
    This is the equivalent of almost six text messages (and you will be charged for six), so room is no longer an excuse either.

javaboy wrote: »
    Spry nymphs cry by my crypt. Cnsnnts ftw!

That almost looks Welsh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That almost looks Welsh!

Nah, nowhere near enough L's and G's.

Although there do appear to be some vowels in a couple of the words here which is unusual for Welsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I dunno, I can read txt speak so it doesnt bother me. I dont care what method of communication is used, as long as i can understand it.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I dunno, I can read txt speak so it doesnt bother me. I dont care what method of communication is used, as long as i can understand it.
    Eat me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Terry wrote: »
    Eat me.

OmnomnomOmnomnom

....what?
    Why are you staring!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

unlimited character limit

Hold on. What?
    wel y r dey.
    it isnt 2 bad.

Because text speak makes the baby Jesus cry.
    Oh hey accidental pun! Sweet!

People do read phonetically. It's how we learn to read, learning what sounds each symbol makes and applying that knowledge whenever we encounter a word. Repeated exposure is what makes us learn the exceptions to these rules (words with silent letters for example) and over time the 2 categories of "straight" and "exception" words fuse in our head as we get very familiar with all of them. But when we encounter new patterns of letters, like textspeak, our first instinct is still to treat them phonetically, which is why the system works.I don't think textspeak is harmful, but I don't like the look of it so I'm glad it's frowned upon here.

Not quite. Tehre was a sdtuy dnoe in a uvernitsiy abuot how we raed wrods. It's not at all "phonetic".

And when you say phonetic, you mean phonological.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pissy would be a huge understatement!

I get full on angry when I see it, hell I don't even use it in text messages themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I get annoyed when people leave out proper punctuation, never mind whole chunks of words. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I hate to see text speak in texts let alone in emails, forum posts and other places where you could happily use full words.
    I don't buy the length arguement for texts. Most of the texts that I've seen that use text speak are short texts that say things like, "Ok C u l8er!", "C u @ ur plce". I guess you could claim that it's faster and saves you 5 key presses... But that doesn't actually save much time, even less if you're typing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the odd shortening or the use of 'u' inplace of 'you' but when you've got a keyboard you've got no reason to type like you're paying by the letter.
    It's annoying, it's unclear, it's ugly and makes the place look shoddy and the poster look a bit ... dim.

I posted this from my phone...

Domo230 wrote: »
    1337 is t3h 14ngu4ge 0f t3h int3rn3ts.

1337 > txt
    Proper language > all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Proper language is greater than all.

I fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Domo230 wrote: »
    1337 is t3h 14ngu4ge 0f t3h int3rn3ts.

1337 > txt

Now if I put on my flat-mate's three-inch-thick glasses, that actually looks like English.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Ah get with the times you ole timey's!:pac:

No seriously it doesn't bother me, I use it in txt's the whole time, and sometimes when I'm on here I use it by mistake and quickly have to erase it. I'm all for shortening the length of a word (i.e 'u' in place of 'you') but I'm not a fan of the other kind, of just unnecessarily changing a word to make it sound more texty, eg. 'yoo' for 'you' or 'boi' for 'boy'...

Anywho, mi 2 cnts:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

NUTZZ wrote: »

No seriously it doesn't bother me, I use it in txt's the whole time, and sometimes when I'm on here I use it by mistake and quickly have to erase it. I'm all for shortening the length of a word (i.e 'u' in place of 'you') but I'm not a fan of the other kind, of just unnecessarily changing a word to make it sound more texty, eg. 'yoo' for 'you' or 'boi' for 'boy'...

Anywho, mi 2 cnts:D

What the fvck is that? A pluralised word with a FVCKING APOSTROPHE???? Txtspeak I can forgive, BUT NOT THAT!!!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What the fvck is that? A pluralised word with a FVCKING APOSTROPHE???? Txtspeak I can forgive, BUT NOT THAT!!!

One question mark or exclamation mark is usually sufficient. Excessive capitalisation is also frowned upon and there is no 'v' in fuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Yep, I was trying to save you from picking up the reading glasses to make sense of this crazy alien language!:pac:

One question mark or exclamation mark is usually sufficient. Excessive capitalisation is also frowned upon and there is no 'v' in fuck.

Not when we're talking about pluraised fvcking apostrophes. And don't go all johnjoe mcsizey changey on me!(!!!!!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Potentially dangerous code, to keep parents in the dark?"

What kind of ****ing lowbrow news station is that?
    Local News Broadcasting, owned by one of the Big 3 Networks (in this case CBS-KZTV 10, which broadcasts in Texas).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owned-and-operated_television_stations_in_the_United_States

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

ok i take it that you people dont like txt spk.

Unless it's practical, what's to like about it? Why do you like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Holsten wrote: »
    Pissy would be a huge understatement!

I get full on angry when I see it, hell I don't even use it in text messages themselves.

I don't use it in MSN either.

ok i take it that you people dont like txt spk.

*squints*
    Didn't i ban u b4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Nothing to do with age - it's the raping of language that pisses people off, not because it's something that "the youngsters" are doing. And believe me, plenty of people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) and older use it. It's horrible.

Worse again though, is leaving out punctuation - e.g.
    Im wondering if anyone knows the name of the song rte uses in its ad for desperate housewives i love it it reminds me a bit of duran duran or some other 80s group but it has a girl singing its been on a few times now over the past week id love it if someone could give me the name cheers

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Unless it's practical, what's to like about it? Why do you like it?
    It's "cool" or something. Seeing as it's used everywhere now, not just on mobile phones, it's obviously just a trend rather than something that's time-saving (as was its original purpose).

It makes people who could be very intelligent come across as stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

6th wrote: »
    Why use it when you have a full keyboard in front of you?

Wat if ur on boards mobile?

Suck it up or get one of those phones with a qwerty key pad.

I am currently using boards mobile,many hours a week. This certainly does not attribute to my posts lacking vowels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

obl wrote: »
    Hold on. What?
    OK, maybe it's not unlimited. But whatever the character limit is, it's very very big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Everytime someone posts using text speak a message should appear saying "This is not a text message." That's what I write when people use text speak in essays.

Dudess wrote: »
    It's "cool" or something. Seeing as it's used everywhere now, not just on mobile phones, it's obviously just a trend rather than something that's time-saving (as was its original purpose).

It makes people who could be very intelligent come across as stupid.

You only have to look at a few bebo pages, then wonder what language is actually being used!

But, it does take some intelligence to produce a homepage that makes the user look so dumb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'll just do a quick test posting using my phone... With predictive texting on.

"Wat if ur on boards mobile?" 35 keypresses
    "What if you're on boards mobile?" 36 keypresses on my phone.

You saved one key press and at the cost of looking just a little silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

micmclo wrote: »
    If you can't be bothered to write it correctly , I can't be bothered to read it

Help us to help you :)

if you can't be bothered to refferance your "it"s
    I can't be bothered to inturpret it

janeybabe wrote: »
    Everytime someone posts using text speak a message should appear saying "This is not a text message." That's what I write when people use text speak in essays.
    People really do that?

What age are these people? I hope they are instantly failed for using txt spk.

People really do that?

What age are these people? I hope they are instantly failed for using txt spk.

Yeah it happens. An example of the ending of a letter a second year student wrote is this:

"tlkcha l8r grl!"

That was a formal letter.

Yeah it happens. An example of the ending of a letter a second year student wrote is this:

"tlkcha l8r grl!"

That was a formal letter.
    I fear for the future of this country.

I fear for the future of this country.

I'd say we're pretty safe for another year. (My 6th years don't use text speak but my 5th years do.) After that, we're pretty much fvcked.

I'd say we're pretty safe for another year. (My 6th years don't use text speak but my 5th years do.) After that, we're pretty much fvcked.
    I have to ask.
    Is it just the really dumb people or do others do it too?

What type of excuses do they use when confronted about it?

• Advertisement

I have to ask.
    Is it just the really dumb people or do others do it too?

What type of excuses do they use when confronted about it?

I'm going to be honest, the worst class for using text speak is not a hugely intelligent class overall. So generally yeah, the less intelligent (being diplomatic!) students use it more often.

They tend to laugh and say it was only a joke but it's obvious that they think it's ok to use it. They don't have a great understanding of how the English language works I think.

They don't have a great understand of how the English language works I think.

I'm not normally a grammar nazi but..... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Two reasons, OP.

1 I don't know what you're saying

2 I don't know what you're trying to say

I'm not normally a grammar nazi but..... :P

Ah crap! And you quoted it too! How embarrassing!

Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Nerin wrote: »
    This certainly does not attribute to my posts lacking vowels.

I genuinely hope for your sake that English is not your first, or second, language.

I'm going to be honest, the worst class for using text speak is not a hugely intelligent class overall. So generally yeah, the less intelligent (being diplomatic!) students use it more often.

They tend to laugh and say it was only a joke but it's obvious that they think it's ok to use it. They don't have a great understanding of how the English language works I think.
    That's fair enough.

Do you fail them for it?

Sorry for all the questions.
    I just want to understand why people use it and some other stuff that I'm not verbose enough to
    **** it. I'm half shot.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough.

Do you fail them for it?

Sorry for all the questions.
    I just want to understand why people use it and some other stuff that I'm not verbose enough to
    **** it. I'm half shot.

Not unless it's unbelievably horrific.

But I have yet to correct their Christmas exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i worst offend at it when im on the mobile because i dont use predictive text and its a small phone and ive huge fingers..

huge fingers.. good for the women, bad for tying on a phone

Not unless it's unbelievably horrific.

But I have yet to correct their Christmas exams!
    In all honesty, I would fail them on the first instance of text speak.
    If they are using it in exams, they are obviously taking the easy way out and just not trying hard enough.

I know that it's easy for me to say because I'm not a teacher.
    I'm quite aware of the bullying parents who will come storming into the school when their little precious has been failed for using text speak, but it really has to be stopped at school level if these kids want to achieve anything in life beyond bebo.

You say that you have yet to mark their Christmas exams.
    To me that says that they repeatedly use text speak and do not learn from their mistakes.

I'm quite aware that employers use this site to check up on current or prospective employees, but would you not just fail every person who uses text speak?

Like I said, it's being used by people who think they are cool and are really just lazy and looking for the easy way out.

I understand the mentality of these kids because I was one myself.
    I know that they will show the exam to others and laugh about it and bitch about you for giving them whatever mark or laugh if they get a half decent grade.

I am not telling you how to do your job. I know that it's not an easy job because I was a complete wanker in secondary school and was very difficult to deal with.
    There were others in my class who were the same as me and they were the ones with the above mentioned nuicance parents.

I'm just asking if you would consider failing them for any use of text speak and attach a note for their parents to read as to why you failed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Cos boards is a bit stuck up and trying waaay to hard to be politically correct

If someone uses text speak once or twice in an otherwise good answer then it's not possible to fail someone.

When I say they fail if it's horrific, I mean if they use it a fair bit. It's not as if they are using text speak for every word, just the odd word here and there. And while I don't agree with it and I certainly let them know how I feel, I can't just fail them because I feel like it. There are marking schemes to consider.

Anyway, text speak on boards is bad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement