Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

subject choices

• 12-06-2003 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

er just done me junior cert, soem of the papers were a joke i laughed me way through geography. doin tranny year next year an i is thinkin of doing construction studies, history, geography and possibly biology just wondering what geography, history and especially construction are like for the leaving course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I would definitely reommend doing Economics if you can. It is my easiest subject by far. Also, Geography is easy but I never went to Geography class, teacher was a tart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

Im doing economics, business and accounting, Im in 6th in Sept. All I can recommend to you is:

DONT DO ACCOUNTING!!! It is the lamest subject eva! Some people like it tho.

Business and Economics are easy, but for economics you have to learn a few difinitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

hrm never really thought of doing a business subject spose it would be handier since i dont know fook all bout biology really and lets face ill never be no doctor/vet/ etc. anyone out there doing construction??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

All depends on the kind of person you are. If you're sciency, logical, good at maths. I'd say definitely go for chemistry, physics and applied maths. Well, anyone I know, who's a similar thinker to me, finds these seriously easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldnt recommend doing both History and Biology, as your cominging two of the biggest courses there are.

Personal, if I could go back and do it again, what I'd do is.
    In 5th year, do whatever subjects you want, but concentrate on english, french, maths and irish.
    Apply to do your leaving cert in those 4 subjects in 5th year.

[Note, if you plan to use any of these subjects for points dont do them, for example I wouldnt have done Maths as im using it for points]

Then in 6th year, pick your 7 best subjects, and work your ass off at them.

If your a maths person, and can do a bit of work do

Maths
    Applied Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Economics
    2 other subjects you like :)

If you like english, I'd suggets
    English
    History
    Classics
    Economics
    Chemistry
    2 other subjects you like :)

I'd suggest you dont touch honours irish, and do french at pass level in 5th year just to pass it.

Also, go to the institute if you want to get really good points :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,146 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Stay far away from Geography.

I recommend Biology, just learn the topic every time you finish it and you will be grand.

Also dont ignore a subject because you dont think you'll need it in work, its all about the points!

I dont really recommend doing a subject after school unless you really want to.

And feck sake its only 4th year next year :/

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by PHB

If your a maths person, and can do a bit of work do
    <snip>
    Chemistry

No. Chemistry is not a Mathsy subject. It is much more like Biology than Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yes, but people who are good at maths generally do chemistry.
    I can think of 7 people in the top maths class who do it[out of 15]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,850 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did Biology for Leaving Cert. The leaving cert biology course is much much more interesting that the stuff we got on the junior cert science course (at least the course I did, I think they've changed the courses since - did my junior cert in 1997 and leaving cert in 2000).

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by PHB
    Yes, but people who are good at maths generally do chemistry.
    I can think of 7 people in the top maths class who do it[out of 15]

A few of those people do honours Irish aswell Dave, they'd be good at anything they did, not specifically Chemistry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement