Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Thread 30th/31st August

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Refs being pretty generous to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Rotund Frank to score in the 89th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Rotund Frank to score in the 89th.

Hopefully, but Ive just had this feeling for the entire 2nd half that we would lose today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gwan Spurs..... If I'm gonna lose all 3 of my bets then I don't want Chelsea to get any points :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs get an undeserved point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Undeserved? I wouldn't say that.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Undeserved? I wouldn't say that.

Well, I would. One goal from one chance in the whole game - which was created after the ball fell kindly from a Chelsea challenge. Chelsea had the whole game and were the only team who looked like scoring from the get go.

Woodgate and Gomes were exceptional at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Have a look at the game later......wasnt undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hah, as if Chelsk deserved 3 points there.

Kold wrote: »
    Hah, as if Chelsk deserved 3 points there.

Yeah, they did. Your glasses appear to be white and black though - so your view of proceedings was probably significantly altered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

It's not all a numbers game in terms of chances created.

Yes, Spuds were fortunate to score when they did, but United, Chelsea, Liverpool, have all nicked a goal on the back of stagnant play. What Spuds did do after this then was play to their current strengths given who's available to play, and consolidated the point that they earned through Bent's goal. Fair dues I say.

Well, I would. One goal from one chance in the whole game - which was created after the ball fell kindly from a Chelsea challenge. Chelsea had the whole game and were the only team who looked like scoring from the get go.

Woodgate and Gomes were exceptional at the back.
    Well Gerry Armstrong and Steve Mc Mahon agree with me so now I know I'm right. ;)

Spurs were lucky to get back into the game (just as Chelseas goal was on the lucky side too) but their second half performance restricted Chelsea to half chances only.

Well played Spurs. Off the bottom of the table now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, they did. Your glasses appear to be white and black though - so your view of proceedings was probably significantly altered. :)

Them only scoring the same amount as Spurs says different. Nobody to blame for not scoring other than the players that dont score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

hard to say that the draw was "undeserved" by spurs. just because chelsea looked more like scoring doesn't mean that a solid defensive performance should go unrewarded. spurs didn't look fantastic today but gomes was excellent and they weathered the storm with a concentration that has been lacking in the opening games of the season. both goals were lucky.

Marq wrote: »
    hard to say that the draw was "undeserved" by spurs. just because chelsea looked more like scoring doesn't mean that a solid defensive performance should go unrewarded. spurs didn't look fantastic today but gomes was excellent and they weathered the storm with a concentration that has been lacking in the opening games of the season. both goals were lucky.

By saying Spurs did not deserve a point I am not saying that they weren't resolute at the back. But it was very difficult to see them getting back into the game once they conceded without the slice of fortune they did get. And yes, Chelsea's goal was also owed to good fortune - but it was one of many occasions they threatened to score.

Spurs defended decently and worked hard, etc - but were lucky and (imo) did not deserve much or anything from the game.

Also, you watch football? : )

Stephen Ireland scores against the run of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stephen Ireland scores

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Super finish from Superman!

SWP is back!

Mike

Welcome home Shauny you LEGEND!!!

• Advertisement

Holy smoke 3-0

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SWP again:eek:

Sweep again!!! :D

Bye bye Diouf and Cisse! Our back four had them in their pocket all game.

Kompany again superb

Nice to see Sundireland resorting to just kicking legs. The gaffer must have passed on a thing or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Great to see SWP back at City. Could work out really well, City have a balanced look about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just because he got the ball doesn't mean it was a clean tackle. He lunged in wrecklessly (jumped clean off the ground) and caught Nasri quite hard on the right leg. Fortunately Nasri didn't have weight on it or it probably would have been a break.

And Nasri WAS booked for his clip.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Credit where its due, I did not see the Man City game but another great performance by the looks of things. I am looking forward to the highlights of that game later.
    I am a Blackburn fan and losing Hughes was a huge blow to us, a lot more disastrous than losing both Freidel and Bentley.
    I have to see this Kompany lad again to see how he did today. If he had another good game then along with SWP, Hughes might just have made two of the best signings of the season right at the end of the transfer window. Interestingly I also see that he seems to have made another two signings today.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nice to see Sundireland resorting to just kicking legs. The gaffer must have passed on a thing or two

Hold on, I'm confused. Are you not in favor of tripping and kicking people? Or was that just a momentary thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Today was a good day for United. Their slip up against Newcastle has now been wiped clear due and are 3 points behind with a game in hand.

Hold on, I'm confused. Are you not in favor of tripping and kicking people? Or was that just a momentary thing?

Nasri's to be fair was a little clip on the heels that is nothing serious in terms of being dangerous. The kind of tackles put in by Bardsley, Reid etc today were potential leg breakers. Different kettle of fish altogether.

Nasri's to be fair was a little clip on the heels that is nothing serious in terms of being dangerous. The kind of tackles put in by Bardsley, Reid etc today were potential leg breakers. Different kettle of fish altogether.
    And what about the one's put in by the Man City players that were not blown up for either?

eagle eye wrote: »
    And what about the one's put in by the Man City players that were not blown up for either?

Which ones? I remember Richards and Kompany both getting done for bad tackles. They were rightly yellow carded. Who else?

Or else, it is ok to foul players you don't like - but is not ok to foul Man City players.

Or else, it is ok to foul players you don't like - but is not ok to foul Man City players.

Putting words in my mouth now?

And who said I didn't like Barton? I have two City shirts with his name on the back and think he's a fantastic player on the park. I was the one supporting the call for him to be in the England squad (see the first post of the City thread).

• Advertisement

Which ones? I remember Richards and Kompany both getting done for bad tackles. They were rightly yellow carded. Who else?
    I cannot remember who they were, seen the highlights on the beeb but there were two just outside the Man City box early in the game.
    Anyways I don't expect to see a soft tackling team coming from Man City this season with the man in charge. Sparky certainly was not a fan of the soft approach at Blackburn.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I cannot remember who they were, seen the highlights on the beeb but there were two just outside the Man City box early in the game.
    Anyways I don't expect to see a soft tackling team coming from Man City this season with the man in charge. Sparky certainly was not a fan of the soft approach at Blackburn.

Actually to be fair I know the one you're referring to. It was Dunne on Malbranque about 25 yards out and I was as baffled as anyone as to how that wasn't a fee kick. Chris Foy didn't have the best of games.

Advertisement